Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:23 PM

311 posts, read 915,491 times

Advertisements

So I haven't been in Charlotte too long, but I hear loads of stuff about Lake Norman, and how fabulous it is, and if you live on the north end, that that's awesome because you'll be near Lake Norman, etc etc etc.

I've been to the area, but I think I am really missing something here. If you don't own a boat, if you don't rent one, if you don't know someone with a boat, if you don't jetski, what is there to do in Lake Norman???? (Besides shopping) Why does everybody love it? Is there a walking/ bike riding trail that goes around lake norman for people to enjoy? Is there some beachfront entrance with sand where people can lay out and tan that I don't know about? (that would be awesome!!!) Is there some hot spot (and i'm not talking queens landing here because there isn't much there) that I don't know about it? And if so, where are these places? I'm getting the idea that it's just exclusive to boat owners and things like that.. but I could be way off. I'm very confused.. other wise, I think it's just really pretty to look at as you drive up 77.. and that's about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
So I haven't been in Charlotte too long, but I hear loads of stuff about Lake Norman, and how fabulous it is, and if you live on the north end, that that's awesome because you'll be near Lake Norman, etc etc etc.

I've been to the area, but I think I am really missing something here. If you don't own a boat, if you don't rent one, if you don't know someone with a boat, if you don't jetski, what is there to do in Lake Norman???? (Besides shopping) Why does everybody love it? Is there a walking/ bike riding trail that goes around lake norman for people to enjoy? Is there some beachfront entrance with sand where people can lay out and tan that I don't know about? (that would be awesome!!!) Is there some hot spot (and i'm not talking queens landing here because there isn't much there) that I don't know about it? And if so, where are these places? I'm getting the idea that it's just exclusive to boat owners and things like that.. but I could be way off. I'm very confused.. other wise, I think it's just really pretty to look at as you drive up 77.. and that's about it!
That's about it, in a nutshell. Ordinances prohibit wading in the lake, thus the lack of beach access. Although I believe I read somewhere that they're talking about repealing those ordinances.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:32 PM

509 posts, read 1,802,577 times
There are parks on the lake, including a very nice one up on the north end of the lake with hiking trails and boat access.

But generally, although the lake is nice to look at (although some of the mcMansions built on the lake are admittedly pretty ugly) the main attraction of the lake is to, well, go out on the lake. or go to one of the many restaurants on the lake. or otherwise, well, enjoy the lake.

I also find that the lifestyle in general is a bit more laid back than south charlotte, but that's just me.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
you're not missing anything.

It's just more micro-jingoism... Americans aren't happy unless they're proselytizing about one stupid thing or another.

I've lived at the lake. I've lived in the city. I've lived on the south side. I've lived on the east side... Remarkably similar, all of 'em. Except where I live now.. which is, of course, the [sarcasm]BEST PLACE IN CHARLOTTE EVAR!![/sarcasm]

Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM

223 posts, read 537,810 times
You'll be a bonafide card carrying yuppie....lol.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Yep, that's about it!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
you're not missing anything.

It's just more micro-jingoism... Americans aren't happy unless they're proselytizing about one stupid thing or another.

I've lived at the lake. I've lived in the city. I've lived on the south side. I've lived on the east side... Remarkably similar, all of 'em. Except where I live now.. which is, of course, the [sarcasm]BEST PLACE IN CHARLOTTE EVAR!![/sarcasm]
Oh, no no no, NativeSon. I live in the BEST PLACE IN CHARLOTTE EVER!!! Let me count the ways it is better than where you live (regardless of where you live - where I live is BETTER).

Hee Hee. LOVED your post!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I think it's just really pretty to look at as you drive up 77.. and that's about it!
That sums it up pretty well.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
HomeSweetHome, that was a complaint of mine when I moved here. I was expecting more public access to the lake with more to do. You are right, if you don't have access to a boat you are out of luck. I love the water and am disappointed with the amenities there are for the non boat owning public. I did go to the the state park which was nice but it was an hour drive and I found the lake water to be very dirty.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
.... that and it is 1/2 the cost for housing than the South Park area

What is it your looking for there are plenty of activities to tap into.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte