U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM

35,116 posts, read 41,593,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani...

kitty litter? for the steps?? Probably won't do anything except make you dirtier when you falll..

Rock salt is what you need...or, some of that new chemical that they have out now that doesn't hurt your grass OR your concrete. (you can get it at Lowe's)
Yeah, that was a lame suggestion, LOL!!! I should have put . . . get your salt and after things melt, spread some kitty litter . . . for added traction.

But nevertheless, it was still kinda lame.

Thanks for giving better info on the salt, CHIcubs!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 PM

12,672 posts, read 12,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani...

kitty litter? for the steps?? Probably won't do anything except make you dirtier when you falll..

Rock salt is what you need...or, some of that new chemical that they have out now that doesn't hurt your grass OR your concrete. (you can get it at Lowe's)
Sure, I always kept kitty litter by the front steps. Kitty litter provides traction when you don't want to waste the ice melt on a minor event.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM

739 posts, read 1,480,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I take the easy way out. Peppermint schnapps. Get the unit doses. Keep in your pocket. Smells like you have been eating peppermint candy. Neighbors will have no clue as to why you are so happy while raking the leaves.

So that is the trick to enjoying yard work, thank you!!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,481,600 times
This time of the year, I put what I call my "winter pack" in my car. I never know what weather I will come in to when I fly back home. I make sure I have a snow brush, scraper, boots, gloves, hat, scarf, and a blanket. Since moving to Charlotte, i doubt I will need these items very often, but better safe than sorry. (I had to commute from Philly to Baltimore before moving here, so it was far more risky than driving here in winter!!)

Just a suggestion, you might want to be sure you have at least a snow brush and scraper in the car just in case.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM

12,672 posts, read 12,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
This time of the year, I put what I call my "winter pack" in my car. I never know what weather I will come in to when I fly back home. I make sure I have a snow brush, scraper, boots, gloves, hat, scarf, and a blanket. Since moving to Charlotte, i doubt I will need these items very often, but better safe than sorry. (I had to commute from Philly to Baltimore before moving here, so it was far more risky than driving here in winter!!)

Just a suggestion, you might want to be sure you have at least a snow brush and scraper in the car just in case.
LOL, I know that commute & agree, totally. I did it years ago & it was amazing how often I drove out of miserable snowy weather in the middle of Delaware, going back to South Jersey. I made up an emergency pack, also, that included a collapable shovel.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-21-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 AM

706 posts, read 1,295,758 times
Ladies - A nice pair of tights, worn under pants, is a great extra layer without the bulk of long underwear.

(Men do it too, in the construction field, I have heard! )

Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM

11,763 posts, read 17,764,522 times
Time to get the furs out of storage. Its a time honored tradition here to wear your mink to Harris Teeter or the mall.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
1 cup of hot chocolate with 1 shot of rumpleminze, sometimes called a peppermint patty. really good winter drink, used to by my drink of choice when snowboarding.
Haha... I'll have to try that one! I used to drink Glogg, While I was in Scandinavia on a exchange program.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
So that is the trick to enjoying yard work, thank you!!!!!
I do highly recommend it. As long as you are not operating equipment w/ moving parts, of course!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Time to get the furs out of storage. Its a time honored tradition here to wear your mink to Harris Teeter or the mall.
That is the truth. I wear both my blue norwegian fox and my sable. Regularly. Really spiffs up the velours running suits and reeboks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte