U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,642,055 times

Advertisements

Cold weather tips? I have two:
  1. Winterize your lawn sprinkler system.
  2. If you think there is the slightest chance that it might snow, run out to the grocery store with everybody else and buy up all the milk and bread.
I admit I don't fully understand the second one, but since it's clearly a tradition down here I thought I'd remind everyone. Enjoy your milk sandwiches!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
  1. Winterize your lawn sprinkler system.
  2. If you think there is the slightest chance that it might snow, run out to the grocery store with everybody else and buy up all the milk and bread.
I admit I don't fully understand the second one, but since it's clearly a tradition down here I thought I'd remind everyone. Enjoy your milk sandwiches!
Add Pop Tarts. You gotta get the Pop Tarts as well as the milk and bread.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 PM

21,848 posts, read 27,113,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Add Pop Tarts. You gotta get the Pop Tarts as well as the milk and bread.
In Philly & South Jersey it's bread, milk, & eggs (I guess for french toast), but if a nor'easter is in the forcast, it's just plain strip the shelves.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
In Philly & South Jersey it's bread, milk, & eggs (I guess for french toast), but if a nor'easter is in the forcast, it's just plain strip the shelves.
LOL!! You will be surprised how they get stripped here if there is a hint of a storm . . . everyone grabs the milk for cereal and for the kids to drink. . . the bread for tuna fish or PBJ sandwiches . . . and truly, I have been told that Pop Tarts are swept up immediately - I guess the kids like them, too, LOL.

I have a feeling this winter, CLT is gonna see more than our typical share of Nor'easters moving thru . . . feels like a long cold winter heading our way, IMHO!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM

21,848 posts, read 27,113,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL!! You will be surprised how they get stripped here if there is a hint of a storm . . . everyone grabs the milk for cereal and for the kids to drink. . . the bread for tuna fish or PBJ sandwiches . . . and truly, I have been told that Pop Tarts are swept up immediately - I guess the kids like them, too, LOL.

I have a feeling this winter, CLT is gonna see more than our typical share of Nor'easters moving thru . . . feels like a long cold winter heading our way, IMHO!!!!
LOL, well, Ani, I'm pretrained. I know the drill.

This cold is the earliest that I can remember since I was a kid in Michigan. I'm used to a week of this sometime in December, not November. I'm afraid that you're right about possible nor'easters.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Another tip - if you have a fireplace - GET YOUR FIREWOOD!!!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:01 PM

55 posts, read 192,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Ladies - A nice pair of tights, worn under pants, is a great extra layer without the bulk of long underwear.

(Men do it too, in the construction field, I have heard! )
I worked construction in uptown Charlotte back in 1974 (NCNB Building) and I can assure you no tights for me. Things sure have changed lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 34,121 times
Default Winterizing Sprinkler Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
  1. Winterize your lawn sprinkler system....
All joking aside, I've been told conflicting things about winterizing sprinkler systems here in Charlotte. Is it really necessary? Has anyone personally experienced any problems NOT winterizing sprinkler systems?

Sidenote -- a bit off topic: I've seen the plastic signs all over the road advertising winterizing service for $65. I HATE these types of signs. I refer to them as "Road Spam"... sort of a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I try to boycott any business that uses this type of litter, I mean advertising. Any legit companies out there that you can recommend?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:36 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,096,745 times
I know this is an older thread but your colder weather is still to come I think
Mulled wine
1 bottle of "soft" red wine
1/2 pint water
1 cup of sugar (not that artificial stuff!)
1 apple
1 orange
3 cloves
1 cinamon stick

Mix water and sugar in a pan an bring to the boil until sugar melts
Reduce the heat to low and add the wine,cinamon stick and cloves.
Slice the orange and apple including the skin (quite narrow slices)
Simmer slowly (don't boils as all the alcohol will evaporate)with the lid on for about 30 minutes.
If you want you can add Brandy to taste (hicc)
Allow to cool to a warm drinking temperature,or reheat when needed.

Not sure if you can buy mulled wine sachets which have all the spices in already -like tea bags,maybe in world market?

Someone told us that if you have a well and you are leaving your house for a while in the winter leave a faucette running very slowly to stop the well pump freezing, although not sure how likely this is in NC?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,100,248 times
Someone told us that if you have a well and you are leaving your house for a while in the winter leave a faucette running very slowly to stop the well pump freezing, although not sure how likely this is in NC?[/quote]

Don't have a well and never have had one, but, this makes sense to me. The pipes in my house froze once (it was 9 degrees overnight) when my heat was on 70 degrees! So, if that can happen, I could surely see how a well could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte