Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:33 PM

876 posts, read 3,779,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I love it too! The traffic is heavy but where isn't it?
I think if they widened the roads to a constant 3 lanes from Statesville to SC on I-77, it would alleviate alot of problems. I also find that NC folk have a tendency to STOP and look (rubberneck) accidents more than anywhere else I've been. usually people just slow down, but man, ya'll just stop and look..LOL...

I have also noticed that NC folk are deathly, or appear to be, scared of driving in the rain. In FL, I am used to HWY driving in the rain at a steady 55mph, no probs. But as soon as it drizzles, the speed in NC drops to 15mph and the hazards go on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,805,209 times
The problem is Lake Norman. Its going to be fun when the decide to add a lane or two on 77 there. Prob. would need a bridge of some sort.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 PM

9 posts, read 20,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekacan View Post
I am very new to the area, and I am looking for a place near a HS with strong acedemics and basketball program. I have heard about the "infamous" Charlotte/Mecklenberg schools, but nothing in any kind of detail. Do you know some of the problems they are having? Is it system wide, or a few schools with problems? Thanks inadvance.

It is system wide. With equity being an issue, every school has to have the same amount of resources... In North Mecklenburg county there is overcrowding (a new High school is opening next year and should help the Largest HS in the state -- North Meck -- Reduce, but it was designed to hold 1,500 and right now it has over 3,000) Hopewell -- on the west side of 77 has weekly reports of violence. I know North Meck has a good basketball team, but I wouldn't send my child there - I would look at Cabarrus or Iredell.

I live in Huntersville now and I love it. Except for the traffic - but what do you expect with growth. I have no childern now, but when we do we will have to move to another county.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,153 times
Default Huntersville/Cornelius/LKN

My wife and I moved to Cornelius, from Boone, NC, in July and we love it! There is always something fun to do, concerts, art walks, or even just shopping and going out on the lake. Yet at the same time its very easy to stay low key and private. Wonderful area! Let me know if I can help in any way....
www.KlineLakeandCity.com

Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
DME

24 posts, read 76,165 times
Default Huntersville vs. Cornelius

Hi,

Are there any major differences between the two cities? I was looking at Huntersville because it seems that they have a plan to battle urban sprawl.

Are all Huntersville schools in the CMS school district?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM

DME,

Yes the schools are apart of CMS there are also many private schools in the area. My son goes to JV Washam in Cornelius and we are happy. We are moving back into Huntersville at the end of the year. We grew up here and like both towns just as much.

Let me know if I can be of any help. Good Luck in the long run either choice should be a good one.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 PM
DME

That's funny you mention JV Washam school. That's the one I was looking at. Does anyone know a website that can help me find homes that are part of that school district?

Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 AM

473 posts, read 1,572,405 times
Red face Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye571 View Post
It is system wide. With equity being an issue, every school has to have the same amount of resources... In North Mecklenburg county there is overcrowding (a new High school is opening next year and should help the Largest HS in the state -- North Meck -- Reduce, but it was designed to hold 1,500 and right now it has over 3,000) Hopewell -- on the west side of 77 has weekly reports of violence. I know North Meck has a good basketball team, but I wouldn't send my child there - I would look at Cabarrus or Iredell.

I live in Huntersville now and I love it. Except for the traffic - but what do you expect with growth. I have no childern now, but when we do we will have to move to another county.
Considering you don't have kids and it doesn't appear that any are on the horizon at this time, you don't know what tomorrow brings. Torrence Creek at the present time is a very good elementary school but could change tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about moving until you have kids at least on the horizon or much closer to school age...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:09 AM
DME

So since I have an almost 3 year old and I my Job will be in Statesville, should I be looking at Huntersville, Cornelius, or what? ( I don't think I'd want to live in Statesville)

Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Stateville in nice IMO but all the development is in Mooresville for Iredell county. If you move to Huntersville you will be going against traffic during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte