Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Anti-native?

Oh, and quit referring to me as "sir". It makes you seem like a douche.
No need to get angry. Just answer the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
I did answer the question. You left the fast lane and got on the slow track. A driven person with "huge earning potential" (LOL) would have stayed in NJ.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:55 PM

I get it.

Since family is obv not important to you, you can't relate.....

Thanks for clearing that up.....

Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM

177 posts, read 552,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I just don't get it. How on earth can someone stay in an area for 2 YEARS and not once find a job, well a full time steady job. Even if it means traveling a distance, there has got to be something to "supplement" that bundle he made in NY.
I agree! I wanted to change jobs last year and so I sent out my resume and contacted local employers and went to several interviews and was offered two full time positions within a month. If I can do it, then surely someone with that much experience and such a great job in New York can do it too. Pulease! There's got to be more to the story. In any case, I can't believe people are so stupid that they are moving to another city without a job. It's one thing if you come down and rent an apartment for a few months just to get a feel for the area and while looking for a job so you can completely relocate your home and family but to sell your house and purchase a new house and quit your job and move without a plan B is just stupid. I don't care what your education level or experience is, it's still risky and still stupid. I wouldn't do that but if I did find myself without a job and couldn't land the type of job I wanted, I would take any job I could get just to pay bills and eat until I could find a better job.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I just don't get it. How on earth can someone stay in an area for 2 YEARS and not once find a job, well a full time steady job. Even if it means traveling a distance, there has got to be something to "supplement" that bundle he made in NY.
The story said he did work at various "part time" locations. I don't know, maybe he wasn't living in reality and thought that "things would work out".....

Times are tough for alot of people. You have to fight through it and do what you need to do. If that means working as a machinist 2nd shift, you do it. Get by and in the meantime, work on trying to get something closer to your orig. field of work.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I think this is a relatively new phenomenon, made possible b/c people "cashed out" and had $300,000 or more cash in hand, and just assumed b/c they were educated and had job experience, they would find a job in here.
And we have a winner! Hit the nail on the head! Home run! Game. Set. Match.

I guess this hillbilly job market is a bit tougher than some of them better edumacated folks thought.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
...I've said it before and I'll say it again: By and large the yankee transplants who come to Charlotte aren't the cream of the crop. They are the ones who couldn't make it back home. What makes them think that they'll be successful here?
Not even close. As a "yankee transplant", I was a successful IT consultant back home in MI and moved here for a new opportunity. Since I travel, I didn't *have* to move here to CLT. However, my wife and I were looking to relocate southward when this job offer came around. If it hadn't been Charlotte, it would have been Nashville or Knoxville, most likely.

I'm sure my story isn't unique for "yankee transplants", either. But, that wouldn't fit in with the sweeping generalizations that you seem so fond of making, would it?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Why would anyone leave NY? They've got 5th Ave. We have 5th St. NY has Central Park. We have Marshall Park. NY has Time Square, we have Trade and Tryon. Maybe we're turning into New York Lite. Diet New York? New York with 0 trans fat and lower calories?

GOd, I think I want to move to NY. lol

Old 11-25-2008, 04:17 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Default Making a fortune only one time . . .is not enough

During both "The Dot Com" stock boom and the "Real Estate" boom that we experienced a great number of people made a once in a lifetime amount of money.Came to them real easy and for the most part lent nothing to why they made this money. Really accomplished by happening to be in the right house at the right time.

In the case of the Messina's, and the question of why Paul can't find a job,one should think about whether or not he had any successes at work or a career prior to him selling his house in Queens NY at the height of the RE boom.For all we know he was never good at finding work.Maybe, this one time deal of selling his house with a "garden as big as my coffee table" fits Murphy's Law of rising to "one's level of 'in'-competence"? We don't have a clue as to their background. All we know is he got a barrel of money and THOUGHT he would move to Paridisio and live happily ever after.

Let me cash the big check for this crummy house, I'll find a job later attitude?
Whoops.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Why would anyone leave NY? They've got 5th Ave. We have 5th St. NY has Central Park. We have Marshall Park. NY has Time Square, we have Trade and Tryon. Maybe we're turning into New York Lite. Diet New York? New York with 0 trans fat and lower calories?

GOd, I think I want to move to NY. lol
Spanky, I lived 20 minutes from NYC and do you know how many times I actually went to "the city" in the last 2 years I lived there?

Once.....(to see all the holiday displays and the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center)

I didn't have a burning desire to go on a regular basis.....its very expensive and very difficult to park (unless you park in an Edison parking lot)....

Now that's ME, some people go in all the time.....different strokes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte