Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 AM

72 posts, read 238,351 times

Advertisements

Just another example of why we keep reiterating the importance of securing a job BEFORE one moves here...

For richer or for poorer? - * Home Page Mapping | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/232140.html - broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Plus I think he needs to find a new career, as it's apparent that the jobs he had in NY are not here.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 AM

714 posts, read 2,306,795 times
This guy has the wrong attitude for someone who truly wants work:

Quote:
“I'm not a doctor,” Paul said. “I'm not a CPA. I'm a communicator.”
You don't have to be a doctor or a CPA to do something different. He could be a project manager, a consultant, any number of roles. That he throws out "doctor" and "CPA" when asked what other talents he has shows that he has blinders on and is inflexible. Throwing out those two professions is just a snide, stupid answer from someone who claims to really want a job.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
He may have to do what DH and I had to do. We were apart over a year. You do what you have to do. Many careers are dependent on having to move every five years or so . . . to move up the ladder or b/c of regional demands w/in a company. You can't get so emotionally attached to a house or city that you hold your career back when it means the difference in being employed vs. unemployed.

Life doesn't always work out as we envision it. Moving forward can mean giving up some things - in order to keep other things intact (including a marriage/family).

Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Well, the sad part about this story is that they moved here when Charlotte was still booming. And, he still is not working. Hmmm.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, the sad part about this story is that they moved here when Charlotte was still booming. And, he still is not working. Hmmm.
Which goes back to what I have been saying (and others have been saying) - NEVER move somewhere w/o a job unless you are retired and have a pension coming in and know you don't need to work.

I have lived half a century and I never even HEARD of people moving somewhere else w/o finding a job first. It is a phenomenon that totally shocked me when I found out people had been moving here since about 2002 - and coming w/o jobs. I could not fathom it.

The only time I heard of people just pulling up roots and moving without a job transfer or w/o having landed a new postion - was when 1. they were running from "the law" 2. they were on the gov't dole and owned nothing and just packed up the car and left (like the Beverly Hillbillies - loaded up the truck) 3. They had gone belly up, bankrupt, had nothing and were leaving to move in w/ relatives.

I think this is a relatively new phenomenon, made possible b/c people "cashed out" and had $300,000 or more cash in hand, and just assumed b/c they were educated and had job experience, they would find a job in here.

Many of us have had the misfortune of losing our jobs and then not finding one in our region - and having to relocate. Or - looking for six months or longer to replace our jobs (and finally finding one, and not having to move). It is hell to be out of work. So why someone would come here - especially w/ kids who then have to change schools, friends, routines, etc - it just makes no sense to me at all.

I can better understand it if people are moving w/o jobs - but who do not have children. Or, when it is a young person right out of college . . . or someone moving to the area b/c there are relatives already there.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 AM

630 posts, read 1,878,134 times
It's one thing to move somewhere and then get layed off. Its another thing to move and hope to find a job because you hear it's the promised land down here. He doesn't exactly seem that flexible on what he's willing to do either. Learn a new skill, take classes. Take off the blinders.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
“I'm not a doctor,” Paul said. “I'm not a CPA. I'm a communicator.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Paul turned serious. He held up a sheet of paper with a new contact. He mentioned leads in Atlanta, Raleigh, New York, but said he wouldn't apply outside Charlotte until Susan is ready for that drastic a move.
“I am ready.”
Paul looked surprised.

Maybe refreshing those communication skills would help.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Which goes back to what I have been saying (and others have been saying) - NEVER move somewhere w/o a job unless you are retired and have a pension coming in and know you don't need to work.

I have lived half a century and I never even HEARD of people moving somewhere else w/o finding a job first. It is a phenomenon that totally shocked me when I found out people had been moving here since about 2002 - and coming w/o jobs. I could not fathom it.

The only time I heard of people just pulling up roots and moving without a job transfer or w/o having landed a new postion - was when 1. they were running from "the law" 2. they were on the gov't dole and owned nothing and just packed up the car and left (like the Beverly Hillbillies - loaded up the truck) 3. They had gone belly up, bankrupt, had nothing and were leaving to move in w/ relatives.

I think this is a relatively new phenomenon, made possible b/c people "cashed out" and had $300,000 or more cash in hand, and just assumed b/c they were educated and had job experience, they would find a job in here.

Many of us have had the misfortune of losing our jobs and then not finding one in our region - and having to relocate. Or - looking for six months or longer to replace our jobs (and finally finding one, and not having to move). It is hell to be out of work. So why someone would come here - especially w/ kids who then have to change schools, friends, routines, etc - it just makes no sense to me at all.

I can better understand it if people are moving w/o jobs - but who do not have children. Or, when it is a young person right out of college . . . or someone moving to the area b/c there are relatives already there.
Well, funny you should say that, I did just that less than 3 years ago. Different economy. I actually did it twice.

First time, I was tired of the direction of my company after 4+ years, market was good, and I had cash saved up. I was renting, no real items I needed to keep, so I sold/donated nearly everything I owned and traveled for 3 months. I then went to my folks place for a few weeks and looked for a job. I could have rented, had the cash, but they wanted me to hang out for a bit, so I was like sure. Had several offers, but ended up taking a contracts job back in Texas. After that contract was up they wanted to renew, but I wanted something full time. At this point much of my family was moving to NC and I wanted to get out of the SW, so I moved again with no job. Again my skills were marketable, the economy was different. It was just me some furniture this time (I did have to buy something), and I rented a house up in WS. Mind you I could have lived like this for 2 years with no issue and had a decent support system. No kids, no pets, no debt, which I think is key. It didn't work out after a couple months, so I expanded my search and got a great job in Charlotte now for 2.5 years. I own a home and will be staying as far as I know.

So it's not all doom and gloom moving some place without a job, but you have to be prepared and have a plan, a back-up plan and a back-up back-up plan. i.e. I want the perfect job where I am.. Oops.. no luck.. I want a decent job where I am.. Oops.. Ok I will just take a job.. ok nothing here.. what else is out there. People need to be able to sacrafice.. too many are unwilling to give up their cell phones, mcmansions, eating out lifestyle. I spent some time, living on about $500 a month. Thats including health and car insurance, gas, free internet hot spots, food, etc. I didn't have to deal with rent and probably could have cut that down further. Even an $8 an hour job can net you $900+ a month.

So in the end, yes, it's not smart to move anywhere without a job, unless you plan on being there without a job. And to do it with family.. SILLY!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quick question on the subject.

If you found yourself without a job would you wash dishes or bus tables?

I have in the past and I will do it again if I ever have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte