U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM

14,699 posts, read 13,562,195 times
Mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole topped with a pecan crust and marshmallows mixed in. Also, have to have green bean casserole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 PM

35,353 posts, read 42,242,394 times
Well it seems it is pretty equally divided b/n mashed potatoes and rice. I just never had mashed potatoes til DH said he wanted them . . . so I was curious what others traditionally have done.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:53 PM

755 posts, read 1,630,193 times
Rice and gravy - I was raised on it. I rarely make potatoes for my family.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Rice and gravy - I was raised on it. I rarely make potatoes for my family.
Me, too, Weedy. Don't get me wrong - I love good mashed potatoes. But I just was raised using rice as the starch dish, not potatoes. For some reason, we used potatoes for potato soup more than as a side dish. Also, potatoes were kind of "saved" to be the accompaniment if you did a roast w/ veggies - carrots, onions and potatoes. Also, cabbage and potatoes . . . yummy!

But as the starch for a meal . . . it was always rice. I didn't think about this til I moved to the Midwest, where rice just doesn't seem very popular. Then it occurred to me - the rice planter connection to NC/SC. So I am assuming that is why I grew up w/ rice as a side dish (regularly) w/ our meals.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM

12,846 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Me, too, Weedy. Don't get me wrong - I love good mashed potatoes. But I just was raised using rice as the starch dish, not potatoes. For some reason, we used potatoes for potato soup more than as a side dish. Also, potatoes were kind of "saved" to be the accompaniment if you did a roast w/ veggies - carrots, onions and potatoes. Also, cabbage and potatoes . . . yummy!

But as the starch for a meal . . . it was always rice. I didn't think about this til I moved to the Midwest, where rice just doesn't seem very popular. Then it occurred to me - the rice planter connection to NC/SC. So I am assuming that is why I grew up w/ rice as a side dish (regularly) w/ our meals.
Ani, for regular non-holiday meals rice was served somewhat less than half the time & potatoes were served slightly more often.

If my mother had baked bread, bread was the starch instead of potatoes or rice.

Most of my friends in Michigan had few ties going back in the US & they rarely had rice, & in fact, until Rice-a-Roni was put on the market, I had friends who did not know what rice was. I don't think they'd ever seen it..

Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Actually, SB, I totally understand that cause I was shocked when I moved to KCMO - people said they had eaten "cajun style rice" in restaurants . . . or had wild rice . . . or even saffron rice . . . but they never fixed it at home. I found that so so very odd!!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM

12,846 posts, read 12,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, SB, I totally understand that cause I was shocked when I moved to KCMO - people said they had eaten "cajun style rice" in restaurants . . . or had wild rice . . . or even saffron rice . . . but they never fixed it at home. I found that so so very odd!!!!
ROFL, Ani, I never really thought about it until this post, but apparently, the ancestors of midwesterners took all of their cooking habits from the areas that they had traveled from & kept some & lost some, so that, by the 1950s, when I was a kid, no one really remembered where the selection of family recipes had come from. I'm sure that, as other midwesterners add their 2 cents, more families will surface where rice & potatoes were of nearly equal importance.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFL, Ani, I never really thought about it until this post, but apparently, the ancestors of midwesterners took all of their cooking habits from the areas that they had traveled from & kept some & lost some, so that, by the 1950s, when I was a kid, no one really remembered where the selection of family recipes had come from. I'm sure that, as other midwesterners add their 2 cents, more families will surface where rice & potatoes were of nearly equal importance.
Well, I have been noticing that in pictures and on menus, people are not listing rice and gravy - it seems to be mashed potatoes and gravy . . . and until I moved to the midwest, it would never have even occurred to me to serve mashed potatoes w/ a turkey, LOL. Seems the trend these days is to mashed potatoes . . . even here in NC, wh/ surprises me. But I just love my rice - fix it soooo many different ways . . . I am starting to think that I am in the minority, tho.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:51 PM

4,508 posts, read 5,320,270 times
I make both for Thanksgiving, rice and potatoes. DH grew up mostly in Southern states and prefers rice and gravy. I grew up in PA and had never heard of putting gravy on rice until I met DH.

In fact, we never ate much rice except for hot rice for breakfast sometimes, with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Yum!!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 PM

2,387 posts, read 3,990,036 times
Hey Y'all-thought I would drop in on ya since my favorite subject is FOOD! I'm from Louisiana (can't you tell?).

Thanksgiving- Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed taters and giblet gravy.

Never had rice but once for thanksgiving with some Cajun friends who served RICE dressing (similar to dirty rice) with the turkey (oven roasted).

For years, sunday dinner (the noonday meal) consisted of Roast Beef, rice, gravy and English peas (esp. LeSuer), except in the summer we had purple hull peas (similar to black-eyed). This also was the companys' coming dinner during the week also.

Dad was from SE Ohio and never had rice except with sugar, milk, and butter (EEggaaaddddds!!!!) as a breakfast cereal. Ok. He learned to eat rice as a side with roast, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte