U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM

13,172 posts, read 13,206,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Hey Y'all-thought I would drop in on ya since my favorite subject is FOOD! I'm from Louisiana (can't you tell?).

Thanksgiving- Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed taters and giblet gravy.

Never had rice but once for thanksgiving with some Cajun friends who served RICE dressing (similar to dirty rice) with the turkey (oven roasted).

For years, sunday dinner (the noonday meal) consisted of Roast Beef, rice, gravy and English peas (esp. LeSuer), except in the summer we had purple hull peas (similar to black-eyed). This also was the companys' coming dinner during the week also.

Dad was from SE Ohio and never had rice except with sugar, milk, and butter (EEggaaaddddds!!!!) as a breakfast cereal. Ok. He learned to eat rice as a side with roast, etc.
OMG! My father always has put sugar on his rice, too! We thought he was crazy!! My parents came from towns 40 miles apart in Michigan, so the location couldn't have been the reason.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 PM

124 posts, read 240,428 times
Default Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFL, Ani, I never really thought about it until this post, but apparently, the ancestors of midwesterners took all of their cooking habits from the areas that they had traveled from & kept some & lost some, so that, by the 1950s, when I was a kid, no one really remembered where the selection of family recipes had come from. I'm sure that, as other midwesterners add their 2 cents, more families will surface where rice & potatoes were of nearly equal importance.
was on the menu EVERY day. Grew up in Michigan and we never had rice. Even Woolworth' s served a side order of mashed potatoes and gravy at the counter. Remember/// Midwest was not known for exciting food memories like the South. Very bland food///

Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 PM

852 posts, read 1,649,960 times
I am a late started on the Thanksgiving dinner thing but we always go to a Southern home for this particular holiday and I bring roasted potatoes and roasted parsnips. The hostess also has mashed potatoes too. Being from Ireland, I think I would go straight to hell if I didn't have potaters (see I am becoming Southern!!) at nearly every meal. We also had rice in Ireland made with milk, sugar and butter but it was a desert not a breakfast.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM

13,172 posts, read 13,206,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
was on the menu EVERY day. Grew up in Michigan and we never had rice. Even Woolworth' s served a side order of mashed potatoes and gravy at the counter. Remember/// Midwest was not known for exciting food memories like the South. Very bland food///
As I said to Ani, a lot of people I knew never ate rice until Rice a Roni came along.. If supper from the night before was discussed at school they were baffled if I said that we had rice.

Over the years, I've hunted down sources for family recipes & some are southern dishes which matches with a great grandmother whose ancestors came from the Shenandoah Valley and North & South Carolina & Georgia.

We ate barbeque & when I can find my mother's recipe, I'm going to compare it to some Western NC recipes that I've found. I think they are pretty much the same. Our food was not at all bland.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 AM

9,236 posts, read 5,222,173 times
I was raised on rice ... not just any rice but Comet Long Grain (white rice) ...if we had fried chicken we had rice and gravy ... country style steak more rice and gravy ... tomatoes and rice ... rice pudding ... rice rice rice ... even when we got married they threw rice at us! I had visions of my mom with a broom and dust pan gathering up the thrown rice ... thinking ... I can cook this next week! I was thoroughly riced during my growing up years!

I married a guy that was potatoed to death ... all his life no matter what his mom cooked she always had a bowl of 'creamed' potatoes on the table ... mac & chesse and a bowl of creamed potatoes ... every single meal there was that bowl of potatoes.

Needless to say our marriage started off with one that didn't care to look at a grain of rice and one that hated the sight of creamed potatoes and anything that said potato! But it didn't matter then ... I couldn't cook anyway!

We have rice with our turkey dinner at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am just destined to spend my life with rice. One learns over the years to choose their battles and hubby disliked potatoes more then I did rice and rice is easier and faster to prepare anyway.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,929,989 times
Growing up in Chicago, we had mashed potatoes & gravy for every (evening) meal with the possible exception of baked potatoes with steak. Never had rice except for with Chinese food. Moving down here, I enjoyed the difference of rice and gravy but would never consider anything but mashed potatoes for a holiday meal. Always mashed potatoes & gravy & stuffing; homemade but not with oysters or cornbread...my mother always just took regular bread and let it go stale...lots of work...(I don't do all that)

The only other starch that we had was the occasional German potato pancakes. (not for holidays, however) YUM.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 AM

35,576 posts, read 43,794,221 times
CarolinaWoman - that is how I was raised. We had rice in many variations. And those big bags of Comet Rice, Hee Hee. Same here!!!! Like you, we had "spanish rice" (wh/ was really just rice w/ tomatoes and some spices), dirty rice (wh/ was really beef bouillion, onions and some spices in the rice), rice and peas in one dish . . . creamed rice (butter, milk and rice) . . . and my favorite side dish, other than plain rice - "cheese rice" - (cheese, sour cream, butter, milk - baked). Shrimp Scampi w/ rice . . . Salmon patties w/ rice . . . stewed beef, w/ au jus poured over rice . . . I could go on and on.

I started cooking at 12 and the last thing I wanted to do was peel potatoes so maybe that has a lot to do w/ why we never had potatoes, unless for potato salad or potato soup or cabbage and potatoes or beef soup w/ veggies and potatoes.

Seems in the summer, potato salad and ham was a favorite . . . and I still fix potato salad when we have a BBQ . . .

Mashed taters are labor intensive!! LOL!!! Get out the mixer . . . I mash them and finish them off w/ a mixer so there are no lumps. Or how about taking the easy way out - Ore Ida Frozen Mashed Potatoes??? I vote for those!!!!!! Add some butter and milk and VOILA - mashed taters!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 AM

4,508 posts, read 5,470,884 times
Ani, I usually don't peel the potatoes, just give them a scrub and leave the skins on for mashed potatoes or even potato salad. I like them lumpy anyway and the skins add some texture.

I spent too many hours as a kid peeling potatoes (my mom didn't like them lumpy..LOL) and when I was on my own decided it was unnecessary.

Funny, the same thing happened to wearing pantyhose, wearing make-up at home, ironing, dusting things that aren't dusty....I get along fine without spending the time on those things, life is simpler and I'm a happy woman.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 AM

35,576 posts, read 43,794,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Ani, I usually don't peel the potatoes, just give them a scrub and leave the skins on for mashed potatoes or even potato salad. I like them lumpy anyway and the skins add some texture.

I spent too many hours as a kid peeling potatoes (my mom didn't like them lumpy..LOL) and when I was on my own decided it was unnecessary.

Funny, the same thing happened to wearing pantyhose, wearing make-up at home, ironing, dusting things that aren't dusty....I get along fine without spending the time on those things, life is simpler and I'm a happy woman.
NCYank - you rock!! LOL!!!

So I can just scrub the potatoes well and leave the skins on? You just simplified my life, LOL. I would think - you must use Yukon Golds (I think that is the name?) They don't seem to have much of a skin.

Thanx for the tip!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM

852 posts, read 1,649,960 times
I find it quicker to peel than to scrub honestly. I do not use a peeler just a very sharp non serrated knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte