U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,009,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NCYank - you rock!! LOL!!!

So I can just scrub the potatoes well and leave the skins on? You just simplified my life, LOL. I would think - you must use Yukon Golds (I think that is the name?) They don't seem to have much of a skin.

Thanx for the tip!
OK, I may as well go for bonus points then. To make it REALLY simple....have your son do the scrubbing since you'll probably end up doing his laundry this weekend.

I am not picky about what potatoes we use. I usually get whatever HT has in the discount produce bin. Last week I found 5lb bags of Sun Spiced Idaho potatoes for $1/bag so that's what I'll use for Thanksgiving dinner. Besides, by the time I add all the cream and butter it won't matter what I started with.

Since I bought 4 bags (20 lbs) I'll also make some mashed potatoes as well as some twice baked potatoes to freeze. YUM!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:55 AM

21,876 posts, read 27,138,998 times
We had a wide variety of potatoes when we had potatoes, & mashed was least often.

Boiled potatoes were followed the next night with fried potatoes, using the leftovers. Homefries were fried raw potatoes & either way that they were fried they were fried with onions.

Potatoes were in boiled meals & roasts, & occasionally baked. Scalloped & au gratin too.......... Rice was liberally interspersed. Almost always Carolina Rice....... occasionally Uncle Ben's.........

I've never been fond of potato salad, except German potato salad (the hot dish)

I usually peel regular potatoes but never the others. My mother used russets for everything except baking, but I much prefer red or Yukon Gold for most purposes & only scrub them & never peel them, just cut out the eyes. Trader Joe's has the bag of red, white, & blue new potatoes. They make great fried potatoes.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM

677 posts, read 2,013,511 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but in response to the OP....

Why not have them both and just pour the gravy all over your plate. It goes with everything on it.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
I am lovin' the potato info!!!! Thanks, SB and SMClarke! I am all for easy!!!

I think I am going to try this technique - Wash off first - then, I have a really nice peeler, so will use it to get any eyes and scrape off anything that looks suspect.

NCYank - how did you guess about the laundry <snicker> Yes, I will be doing his laundry!!!! (And dreaming of that new front load washer/dryer combo that I AM NOT GETTING!!!!)

Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
One of these days I am going to shop restaurant supplies and get me a peeler machine.
I worked in this restaurant way back in the 90's and it had this machine that look like a huge pot with a hose going into it where the water would pour in to wash while it was peeling. It had this bottom that was little hilly and sand paper like but made of metal and you would drop the potatoes in turn it on and it would peel the potatoes. You could do 50 potatoes within 5 minutes. It was sweet.

I grew up with grandparents who had farms so it was potatoes for us.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
One of these days I am going to shop restaurant supplies and get me a peeler machine.
I worked in this restaurant way back in the 90's and it had this machine that look like a huge pot with a hose going into it where the water would pour in to wash while it was peeling. It had this bottom that was little hilly and sand paper like but made of metal and you would drop the potatoes in turn it on and it would peel the potatoes. You could do 50 potatoes within 5 minutes. It was sweet.

I grew up with grandparents who had farms so it was potatoes for us.
SUNNY - if you get the machine, you could charge $1 to do everyone else's potatoes and make yourself some money, LOL!!!

One of my dear friends grew up in the NC mountains and her family grew potatoes, so she always had plenty of potatoes, too. She said she didn't realize everyone on earth didn't grow potatoes til she went to college. I have grown potatoes b/f and thought about growing them this year in a big garbage can!!! (Mother Earth News had this technique back in the 70s and I always wanted to try it). But I didn't do it b/c once I researched it, it was gonna cost me as much to buy the potato sets as to buy a LOT of bags of taters, so why bother. Still think it would be a neat thing to try - suburban potato patch!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM

21,876 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am lovin' the potato info!!!! Thanks, SB and SMClarke! I am all for easy!!!

I think I am going to try this technique - Wash off first - then, I have a really nice peeler, so will use it to get any eyes and scrape off anything that looks suspect.

NCYank - how did you guess about the laundry <snicker> Yes, I will be doing his laundry!!!! (And dreaming of that new front load washer/dryer combo that I AM NOT GETTING!!!!)
YW Ani, & here's a hot tip to switch-up fried potatoes (homefries or regular fried) Start with the sliced onions (I like sweet onions best for this, Vidalias when available) Toss them in the frying pan, & when they start to carmelize, then the potatoes. Mom always used salt & pepper to season, but a really easy way to switch it up is to get a container of Jane's crazy mixed up salt & use it instead of salt & pepper, & just sprinkle some, lightly, over the surface.

If you haven't used Jane's before, just trust me on that. If you can't find it, let me know & I'll get some to you.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,761 times
We have mashed potatoes and gravy along with candied sweet potatoes. But only after we serve our Italian Thanksgiving foods first. Stuffed shells, sausage, meatballs and pork with gravy(tomato sauce), fresh Italian bread and salad, then.........turkey, stuffing, potatoes and a veggie. Hmmmmm! I wonder why I have a weight problem???????

Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
was on the menu EVERY day. Grew up in Michigan and we never had rice. Even Woolworth' s served a side order of mashed potatoes and gravy at the counter. Remember/// Midwest was not known for exciting food memories like the South. Very bland food///
Hey, Coralsand! If you ever need a Southern recipe, send me a DM - glad to share!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
We have mashed potatoes and gravy along with candied sweet potatoes. But only after we serve our Italian Thanksgiving foods first. Stuffed shells, sausage, meatballs and pork with gravy(tomato sauce), fresh Italian bread and salad, then.........turkey, stuffing, potatoes and a veggie. Hmmmmm! I wonder why I have a weight problem???????
Your Italian spread sounds scrumptious!!!! I LOVE stuffed shells . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or