U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 AM

72 posts, read 212,107 times

Advertisements

Particularly the Charlotte and Raleigh suburbs...Does it still look green? Or do the grass, trees, etc all turn an ugly shade of brown like they do in MA? We saw it in the fall and expect to go back this spring, but were wondering how the winters look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM

227 posts, read 31,727 times
No, its not green in winter. Like anywhere it depends on what you looking at. If its a stand of pine trees it will be green. Oaks, no leaves.
Still, no where in the south is the ugly shade of brown that the NE is.....

Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 AM

527 posts, read 1,230,151 times
Being from Ma, the biggest difference is that there is no sand and salt on the roads to make it dirty brown, no slush (that last for more than a day or two) and weeks like week last week where it hoverd in the high 60's all week. Some lawns stay green year round but bermuda grass turns tan, leaves fall, annuals die.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 AM

113 posts, read 246,971 times
I can’t wait to move to Charlotte, I live in MD and I am watching a storm move in and we have sleet. Yuck! Warm weather does not bother me but the cold whether sucks. I grew up in FL and I am not used to the cold even though I have been away from there for about 7 yrs now. I work at a golf course that stays open all year round so needless to say I am ready for a change. There were a total of 16 golfers in the month of February but we had to be here from 7:30 to 5:00 every day. So I am pulling my hair out. But it gave me time to research the move to Charlotte! lol

Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 PM

191 posts, read 722,414 times
I'm leaving PGH in two weeks to move to Charlotte and I told my husband if I every complain that it is too hot, remind me how I had to chisel 1/4" of ice off my car, how I almost broke my a-- on the ice, how I went to bed with 5 layers of clothes on because it was -6 outside and how badly cabin fever sets in during February. Thank god for cocktails - that's all I have to say!

Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM

132 posts, read 313,364 times
LMBO about the cocktails.

Today in Northern GA we were outside in our backyard...the kids were playing in the sandbox and in the yard. I was in short sleeves, both kids were without coats on. My daughter was even in a skort! It was 62 degrees.

It had rained earlier, but was beautiful by lunchtime (I understand Charlotte had the storms this afternoon).

Ahhhh gotta love spring in the south From a former Upstate NY-er, this is pure heaven!

Come on down guys!

Anita

Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM

286 posts, read 653,885 times
anita-how are you doing? where in upsate ny- i am in utica

Old 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM

227 posts, read 31,727 times
Its not that hot in Charlotte. Move to MS or LA or AL for a summer.....

Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM

132 posts, read 313,364 times
Hey there x-ray!

I'm good! I grew up in Rochester! I moved after college because, well, there weren't any jobs in NY at the time (early 90's). As any self respecting, unemployed, former college student would, I decided to move home! My folks had already relocated to NC my senior year, so I moved it South, got a job, met my hubby, and the rest as they say is history.

Never looked back. Not once LOL. So I totally understand everyone wanting out of the NY/NJ area!!

How's the house hunting coming? Do you have yours on the market yet?

Anita

Old 02-25-2007, 06:00 PM

45,132 posts, read 57,055,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
Its not that hot in Charlotte. Move to MS or LA or AL for a summer.....
Yeah, that's the point I have tried to make on this board lots of times. After growing up in Louisiana I NEVER feel the summer is too hot or unbearable here in Charlotte. Until you've lived in the deep south you really don't know what humidity is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte