U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Leaving today for PA to spend Tgiving with my oldest son and his fiance. Then to Toronto and then to Norfolk to see my youngest son and wife and baby . Whew! what a trip! But what FUN!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!! Be safe
Safe travels and many happy memories with your family!!! Yes, that is gonna be quite the trip . . . take some pix of snow so we can vicariously enjoy it, Hee Hee. I like pictures of snow . . . it is great as long as I am not having to shovel it!!!! Have a wonderful trip . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Staying for the Parade!!! My family is in Kentucky and me and the wife already made our "Thanksgiving" trip last week. The day of Thanksgiving is quite boring in our Kentucky town. No parade.
Enjoy the parade!! Will you do a video for us? Happy Thanksgiving, Urban!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Enjoy the parade!! Will you do a video for us? Happy Thanksgiving, Urban!
How did you guess!!! The best part will be the High School marching bands. Those kids are so talented!!! If the weather holds up, I should get some great videos!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,750,388 times
I'm homesick, so I'm taking the kids and heading out tonight. Just wondering what route is best to NJ... 77 or 85 to 95.

I'm tempted to do the 95 thing because I'll be travelling alone with 2 kids and it has patrolled rest stops the whole way up.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I'm homesick, so I'm taking the kids and heading out tonight. Just wondering what route is best to NJ... 77 or 85 to 95.

I'm tempted to do the 95 thing because I'll be travelling alone with 2 kids and it has patrolled rest stops the whole way up.

Any suggestions?
I, personally, would use 95 this time of year, and at night. But I hope other former NJ residents will give you their perspective.

Be safe and enjoy your time back home . . .

Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,677 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?

The last few times I've seen it, I-85 late afternoon on Thanksgiving Eve, has been a virtual parking lot. I'm not talking slow moving vehicles, I'm talking a near standstill. I know it's usually bad during a regular rush hour, but it looks pretty horrific from what I've seen. And I have no idea how far up north that logjam goes.

I'll always recommend the 77>81>78 route. For most hours of the day. Only if you're leaving at night, say around 9 or so, would I consider 95. Even then I still prefer the other route. There's no long gaps between gas stations, it's more of a stress free ride, and no tolls the way there are once you get up past Baltimore. Unless you're truly not paying attention, there's little chance for you to miss where you have to be, whereas there are spots taking I-95 that command a little more of your attention.

77>81>78.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:27 AM

Okay, MommyV - I have not done either route since 2006, so I would take Brian's advice.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,750,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The last few times I've seen it, I-85 late afternoon on Thanksgiving Eve, has been a virtual parking lot. I'm not talking slow moving vehicles, I'm talking a near standstill. I know it's usually bad during a regular rush hour, but it looks pretty horrific from what I've seen. And I have no idea how far up north that logjam goes.

I'll always recommend the 77>81>78 route. For most hours of the day. Only if you're leaving at night, say around 9 or so, would I consider 95. Even then I still prefer the other route. There's no long gaps between gas stations, it's more of a stress free ride, and no tolls the way there are once you get up past Baltimore. Unless you're truly not paying attention, there's little chance for you to miss where you have to be, whereas there are spots taking I-95 that command a little more of your attention.

77>81>78.
Thanks for the advice... just wondering though... are the gas stations open all night on the 77 route? I heard the roads are dangerous because it's foggy and the road winds around the mountains. Is that true? Also, is it well lit and are there a lot of trucks that take that road?

I'm just a bit nervous about taking a new route in the middle of the night with just me and 2 kids (that will probably sleeping the whole way). Maybe, I should leave around 3am so I could travel mostly during daylight hours?

Sorry for the rambling. I'm just worried. BTW... where does 78 take you in NJ. I'm headed towards the Princeton area.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Just a tip, from my own experience, whichever route you take up, come back Sat on 95/85. Sunday the traffic will be hell but Saturday should be clear sailing.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,677 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice... just wondering though... are the gas stations open all night on the 77 route? I heard the roads are dangerous because it's foggy and the road winds around the mountains. Is that true? Also, is it well lit and are there a lot of trucks that take that road?

I'm just a bit nervous about taking a new route in the middle of the night with just me and 2 kids (that will probably sleeping the whole way). Maybe, I should leave around 3am so I could travel mostly during daylight hours?

Sorry for the rambling. I'm just worried. BTW... where does 78 take you in NJ. I'm headed towards the Princeton area.
78 will take you right to the Union Toll plaza.

I left at 9 pm for my last trip back to NJ (this past October). It seemed that as long as you at least had a credit card for the pumps you were good to go, no matter the time, even if the actual store was shut. I never had to search. Yet along 95 I would run into stations that were shut with the pumps locked. I think I got to the Union toll somewhere around 6 in the morning. If you did leave at three in the morning, so long as you gas up the night before, your first gas break wouldn't be until daybreak.

The road does wind around the mountains but for probably about 15 minutes out of your trip. Overall it's no more or less dangerous than taking 95.

I wouldn't want my wife traveling long distances alone, but if she absolutely positively had to, I'd be a lot less worried about her taking that way up than 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte