U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM

26 posts, read 78,518 times

Advertisements

Why are you so quick to get nasty with people on here? I didnt get mad, I dont live in a Taj Mahal at all, and I am facing reality. I have seen your posts before and wonder why you are so angry and rude to everyone on here when we are just trying to get advice and help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson13 View Post
Why are you so quick to get nasty with people on here? I didnt get mad, I dont live in a Taj Mahal at all, and I am facing reality. I have seen your posts before and wonder why you are so angry and rude to everyone on here when we are just trying to get advice and help?
If you told the whole truth in your OP, you wouldve gotten different responses, I can guarantee you. It drives me crazy when people (especially in real estate) look for advice but don't paint an accurate picture.

But instead, you threw your Realtor under the bus just so you could hear an answer YOU wanted to hear. You didn't want to hear the truth.

Next time, tell the accurate story upfront.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
At this point I will list much lower than I was planning but I do not want to lose money obviously.
If you've been in the house at least 8 years you shouldn't "lose" money. It all comes down to how much you really want to move though. Best of luck deciding.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 PM

WOW...you are one angry man! Do you really just scroll through these posts looking for someone to unload on? Seriously? I just wanted to get some feedback from others in the same boat, you really ought to see about some therapy.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks LovesMountains. I have only been here for 3 yrs so it will be close. My equity really dropped this past year. I dont mind not making much money, I just really need to sell or rent soon.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
WOW...you are one angry man! Do you really just scroll through these posts looking for someone to unload on? Seriously? I just wanted to get some feedback from others in the same boat, you really ought to see about some therapy.
LOL, what thin skin........

Yes, ask the long time charlotte posters on here. I really INTENTIONALLY go looking to unload on people.....

I can't help that your in denial about what you think your home is worth. I understand its hard to break that emotion, but nothing personal, you needed to hear it by the way you were originally looking for help.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Thanks LovesMountains. I have only been here for 3 yrs so it will be close. My equity really dropped this past year. I dont mind not making much money, I just really need to sell or rent soon.
Don't mind Jack, he used to take my head off all the time too - he's just young and fiesty when it comes to economic matters and can't seem to help himself - but he grows on ya

Since you've only been in it 3 years you might not make much right now, so finding a good renter might be a better option. That would give the market time to finish correcting itself and for things to stabilize. I know a bit about your area, if you care to dm your neighborhood I can take a pretty good guess at how much you could charge for rent.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 PM

983 posts, read 2,171,160 times
Branderson.. here is a thought, take some nice pics of your home that shows how great it is. Check out comparable homes on craigslist that are listed for rent, and see how much there are asking for them. Compare the rent to how much you need to keep up the house payments and stay out of the red on this house. Post an Ad on Craigslist with a link to as many photos as you can post, make the price a little lower than the comps, just $25 could make a difference. See if you get any response and measure that. It's a tough market now and if you have been in your house for only 3 years, by the time you sell and pay the Realtors fees, you might lose some of your down payment. It's not wise to put a house on the market if you are not willing to be within the price range of your neighborhood. Also, this time of the year is not a good time to sell, wait till the spring, things change when the school year is getting closer to the end. Best of luck..

Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Quote:
I live in the south Charlotte-Pineville Ballantyne area in an older neighborhood and want to sell my house. My realtor came by today and basically told me NO. I need to wait. I am so disappointed, I have a really nice, small house, tons of upgrades, and in a good area for a low price considering the area. How can a realtor really say dont list! I know the market is bad but people still need to buy right? Should I just wait or should I try renting? I need to move to Union County and am ready to buy a new house there and dont want to miss out on the buying opportunity but if my agent wont even try to list my house, what should I do?
Is "the buying opportunity" before you because of the horrible, crappy, or almost none existence of a real estate market? If so, maybe you should think about how that MIGHT be relative to YOUR house and the comments of "your realtor" and the comments of some of the other posters.

Take a deep breath, relax, read and remember you came here asking for an answer and an opinion to your problem.
Stay cool and listen to everybody's thoughts and then do what you need to do.
Good luck.
je

Old 11-25-2008, 02:41 PM

21,879 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
I live in the south Charlotte-Pineville Ballantyne area in an older neighborhood and want to sell my house. My realtor came by today and basically told me NO. I need to wait. I am so disappointed, I have a really nice, small house, tons of upgrades, and in a good area for a low price considering the area. How can a realtor really say dont list! I know the market is bad but people still need to buy right? Should I just wait or should I try renting? I need to move to Union County and am ready to buy a new house there and dont want to miss out on the buying opportunity but if my agent wont even try to list my house, what should I do?
Here's the deal on this. I just sold last month in South Jersey in an equally bad market.

I owned my house, free & clear. Do you? If you have been there 3 years, have you paid extra payments on a mortgage, to get you beyond the 3 year mark? If you are in a mortgage, you might be in a better position, if you've paid extra.

If you have a mortgage, get an amoritization schedule & look at that.

OK, now you know where you stand on that. By the way, you don't need to answer those questions to me, just to yourself

Next is the value of your present house. I don't care what the property tax value is or what you paid for it. It is only worth the comps in your neighborhood.

I took a 40K hit on mine, because the market tanked just before I got it on the market. OK, big deal, I am buying a distressed property & will make it up on this end & end up with a very nice house on almost half an acre, after renovating it.

On the other hand, you're wanting new construction. Unless you are planning to buy from a bankrupt company, which I certainly would not recommend, the builder is not going to do dealing with you like you will have to do with a buyer for your house. Remember you selling your house means that you have to compete with & beat the same builder who you want to buy from.

Now the reality is that I'm telling you what Jack tried to tell you, but I'm showing you how to answer your question for yourself.

Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or