Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:41 PM

26 posts, read 87,738 times

Advertisements

I live in the south Charlotte-Pineville Ballantyne area in an older neighborhood and want to sell my house. My realtor came by today and basically told me NO. I need to wait. I am so disappointed, I have a really nice, small house, tons of upgrades, and in a good area for a low price considering the area. How can a realtor really say dont list! I know the market is bad but people still need to buy right? Should I just wait or should I try renting? I need to move to Union County and am ready to buy a new house there and dont want to miss out on the buying opportunity but if my agent wont even try to list my house, what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM

677 posts, read 2,230,516 times
Try a different agent?

If you gotta move you gotta move. But if you can buy in union county and can keep the old house rented & still afford it all then I'd say to rent it. But that's me

Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM

714 posts, read 2,300,020 times
There is a glut in the south Charlotte area. Houses on my street are not moving and they are well priced. I watched a sad, lonely realtor sit out on the front porch of an "open house" two doors down yesterday from 2-5. Not a car in sight.

How can a realtor really say don't list? Easy, they don't want to waste your time, or theirs. If you can wait it out, wait it out. If you want to try renting, try renting.

If you absolutely insist on going against the advice of your agent, then list the house yourself or find another agent. Presumably this person is "your agent" because you trust his or her opinion.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,675,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson13 View Post
I live in the south Charlotte-Pineville Ballantyne area in an older neighborhood and want to sell my house. My realtor came by today and basically told me NO.

Somehow, I tend to believe there was more to the conversation then just the realtor telling you "no".

Maybe you suggested a price which would make it a lock that the home would not sell.

Say the comps in your area are "x". Did you suggest to list at "x" - 15%? If that's the case, then I'd be surprised.

Again, maybe you just didn't like the answer you got and want to put this back on the realtor.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Of course there was more to the conversation. She did the comps and there are very few for sale in my neighborhood that are similar. The price for the ones even close to size, condition, and features to mine are priced lower than I am willing to list at this time. I didnt like the answer I got, but she also didnt really have any suggestions other than wait. I just want to get an idea of what every one else is doing in this situation.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM

714 posts, read 2,300,020 times
Well, really there are 2 options:

1. Sell at the low price and stand a chance of seeing your property actually move
2. Wait

Oh there's #3: Disregard the advice about the low price and list the property at the price you want.

As for #3: It seems your realtor has no desire to work up a listing for you and put in hours to try to sell something that's not going to move. She has to make a living. So yeah, she didn't give you this option.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,470,868 times
Quote:
Of course there was more to the conversation. She did the comps and there are very few for sale in my neighborhood that are similar. The price for the ones even close to size, condition, and features to mine are priced lower than I am willing to list at this time. I didnt like the answer I got, but she also didnt really have any suggestions other than wait. I just want to get an idea of what every one else is doing in this situation.
The realtor is doing her job - you can take her professional advice or leave it. But I would be very suspicious of any realtor who told you exactly what you wanted to hear in this market. You either have to be willing to lower your price to meet the comps or don't waste the realtors time in listing it. If you change your mind and want to "play ball" I know a couple of realtors that would be great for you to work with

Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 PM

At this point I will list much lower than I was planning but I do not want to lose money obviously.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,151,210 times
You will need to be priced competitively and your home will have to be the nicest in your price range in order for it to sell quickly. When did you buy your home? If you have been in it for awhile and have some equity, then price it right if you really want to get out. On the flip side -- when you are buying -- know that the market at this time will favor you as a buyer.

It may be good advice to wait, but remember, if you wait to sell you may also pay more for the home you will be buying.

Best of luck

Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,675,314 times
Quote:
Don't get mad at me when YOU leave out the details. Do you want to hear what YOU want to hear, or do you want the truth?

Listen, you're like every other seller who thinks their Taj Mahal is worth more than it really is. Wake up and face reality.

Your realtor was doing her job and you didn't like the answer, period.

Either list it at a REALISTIC price or wait it out. Or you could rent it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: