Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Says it is not available in my area. Dang. I am ready to dump TW if I can find another service that I like. Dish won't work for me, so that is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 AM

286 posts, read 1,045,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
This is AT&T's UVerse.

I've commented many times on this service so please forgive me if it's a repeat.

Regardless of what the news announcements say, u-verse is not in charlotte like Time warner is in Charlotte. They started upgrading equipment in uptown back in like may or june.

Basically it is an expanded version of DSL with a much higher capacity. It is some-what comparable to Verizon's FIOS. While Verizon will run fiber optic cable to your curb, AT&T will run fiber optic cable to a distribution box and will rely on the existing copper wiring for the "last mile" to your home.

The TV signal is reported to be sluggish while changing channels as you're not getting all the channels at once like cable. You only get streamed the channels you're watching when you're watching them.

If you want more information on this just google it or search u-verse on CD. I don't want to repeat myself too much.

But I for one will be trying it out when available. I hate Time Warner's Service.
This announcement just came out yesterday so AT&T must have made some progress since your last postings. Also, "sluggish" channel changing actually has to do with the decoding of the streams (IE it takes a second to start to decode an mpeg2 or mpeg4 stream) and this is not unique to AT&T. I have Dish Network and have this issue (non-issue) and remember having the same thing happen when I had digital TW cable. And AT&T actually mentions on their U-Verse site that channel changing is fast.

My address didn't come up online and I couldn't get through to CS by phone so I'll be stopping by and AT&T Wireless store today to ask about U-Verse. The announcement says you can stop by a store for info.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:21 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
So that's what those AT&T trucks have been doing on Carmel Road all summer...

Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,776 times
Regardless of what AT&T says, I've read reviews online and the channel change lag has been an issue.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks when I get it.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:37 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
If it doesn't go down like RR seems to do on a pretty frequent basis these days it may be worth getting.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:04 AM

416 posts, read 928,036 times
Hopefully this will create some price competition for TW. They just raised the rate about $7 on my package (mainly on box rentals...$2 more for each box).

Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM

168 posts, read 505,961 times
I saw a commercial about this the other day. It looks like for those who have DVR with TW. That with Uverse you will be able to record 4 shows at once. That in itself is enought for me to make the move to Uverse.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
Its not avail for me either. However we have Windstream in our 'hood. Would it ever be available then since At&T obviously does not service the phon now?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
yes one box controls 4 TV's and you each can record.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 AM

677 posts, read 2,237,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Regardless of what AT&T says, I've read reviews online and the channel change lag has been an issue.

I'll let you know in a couple weeks when I get it.
Good News! I've got my install scheduled for Monday. Hopefully they won't get there and tell me they can't do it cause I'm getting a heck of a deal for 6 months when compared to TWC's service.

I'll do a writeup/review on the service once it's installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte