Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times

Advertisements

we had the new AT & T system back home and it was awesome..no complaints! We miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I tried that as well, don't seem to be around, though maybe by the time by Dish Network contract is up it may be.
I'm not sure what the original poster is referring to but I know in a lot of areas, AT&T *is* Dish Network, or they're partnered or whatever the word for it is. I don't know about Charlotte which is a bit of a different thing, being a large city with access to competition but where I am, AT&T offers Dish Network and the only other choice is the local independent company's cable.

I like Dish but then we also get a discount.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
I'm not sure what the original poster is referring to but I know in a lot of areas, AT&T *is* Dish Network, or they're partnered or whatever the word for it is. I don't know about Charlotte which is a bit of a different thing, being a large city with access to competition but where I am, AT&T offers Dish Network and the only other choice is the local independent company's cable.

I like Dish but then we also get a discount.
U-verse is not the AT&T / Dish package deal. It's AT&T's IPTV service which is completely over the Internet.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 PM

286 posts, read 1,045,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Good News! I've got my install scheduled for Monday. Hopefully they won't get there and tell me they can't do it cause I'm getting a heck of a deal for 6 months when compared to TWC's service.

I'll do a writeup/review on the service once it's installed.
Do you mind sharing what deal you got? Also, I kept calling until I got some department that can go behind the scenes to "green light" my neighborhood. They said I'll hear back via phone or email w/n one week.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM

348 posts, read 846,820 times
About a month ago I signed up for the AT&T DSL Lite service for my internet and I love it!
Prior to this I was using dial-up for the last 5 years (for budget reasons--I'm cheap!). AT&T states the Lite is 13 times faster than dial-up and I have no complaints whatsoever. I believe my internet speed at home is faster than the internet speed at work. I got the special of $14.95 per month and I also bought their modem for $75, which they break up into 10 payments.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
I'm going to be checking this out also. TW is behind and a lot of ways as regarding high speed internet. They have an abysmal 512Kb/s upstream speed (compared to some friends in Greenville SC that are getting like 1.5Mb/s).

It's to bad to that fios doesn't have a backbone here. My friends back in Boston tease me about the speeds being incredibly SICK (you could download an entire DVD (about 8GB worth) in less than 20 or so minutes.

I can't find the pricing any where on the internet options. Does anyone have that? It doesn't help that the ATT web-site (at this moment) is down.

Also if you do a lot of downloads (as in 10GB or more per month) it looks like ATT imposes a download and/or bandwidth cap.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Also if you do a lot of downloads (as in 10GB or more per month) it looks like ATT imposes a download and/or bandwidth cap.

That kills any chance of me getting that service. I can literally flirt with that limit inside a week and a half.

And some people believe that downloads are going to be the future of video distribution. With caps like that, there's no way it'll happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
That kills any chance of me getting that service. I can literally flirt with that limit inside a week and a half.

And some people believe that downloads are going to be the future of video distribution. With caps like that, there's no way it'll happen anytime in the foreseeable future.
That's right- I *think* TW doesn't put a cap on existing customers, but possibly new customers (which seems to be the only good thing about TW).

Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
That's right- I *think* TW doesn't put a cap on existing customers, but possibly new customers (which seems to be the only good thing about TW).

To my knowledge there's no real cap anywhere in their footprint but they're experimenting with tier pricing in Beaumont, Texas. Your monthly internet cost would depend on how much you've downloaded, something like a buck per gig beyond your cap limit,which again depends on the internet package w/cap that you've selected for yourself. The highest tier was 55 bucks with a 40 gig cap before you would start experiencing the dollar per gig increase beyond. I'd still be leery of that one but at least that limit starts getting a little bit difficult to hit.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 PM

248 posts, read 747,722 times
This is great news because TW needs some real competition. Everything about them is sluggish and poor.

I'm moving to ATT DSL within the month - and away from TW. Glad to hear ATT's fiber is finally coming to Charlotte. Should be awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte