Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:11 PM

63 posts, read 268,121 times

Advertisements

Last month I was pulled over for expired tags because I completely forgot to renew my registration. It is the first time I have ever been pulled over in my life, and I'm 30! The ticket was for $146. My court date is coming up next Thursday, and I just noticed last night that the court doesn't take personal checks for payment. Of course, payday isn't until the 14th. So I have a few questions:
Will the court just drop the ticket and I won't have to pay anything if I show up? (I was kind of hoping that they try to encourage people to just pay money up front instead of showing up in court.)
Am I supposed to plead guilty? Yes, I admit my tags were expired, but it wasn't on purpose. I'm hoping my perfect driving record will help them go easy on me.
If I do have to pay, will they let me make payment arrangements if I explain I don't get paid until the next day?
Because it's a waiveable misdemeanor, will it be expunged from my record once I pay the fine?

Thanks for any help. I'm so worried about this, as I've never been in court before. I was trying to decide whether I should just pay it and save myself some hassle, but I'm a single mom and $146 is a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
get your tags renewed now take the receipts to the district attorney in hopes that he will work with you being it your first time and you have proof that the matter has been taken care of.
If he doesnt appear in court dont plea anything but just say I want a continence.
The new date will be set and choose from one of those many lawyer letters that Im sure you are getting by now. Attorney is optional
Think hopeful , more than likely the DA will drop the charge if the matter is taken care of and so may the courts if you have to go there as you might have to just pay court costs
good luck

Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 PM

63 posts, read 268,121 times
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I got my renewal taken care of that day, so I'm all up to date on my registration now. (And I haven't gotten a single letter from lawyers - go figure. That's fine because I can't afford one anyway.)
If I'm going to pay court costs, I wonder if I should just pay the ticket then. $121 of it was court costs, and the fine was $25. Will they let me have an extension on payment though? So even if I show up in court, I'll have to pay them a bunch of money?
This whole ordeal is so stressful.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech2002 View Post
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I got my renewal taken care of that day, so I'm all up to date on my registration now. (And I haven't gotten a single letter from lawyers - go figure. That's fine because I can't afford one anyway.)
If I'm going to pay court costs, I wonder if I should just pay the ticket then. $121 of it was court costs, and the fine was $25. Will they let me have an extension on payment though? So even if I show up in court, I'll have to pay them a bunch of money?
This whole ordeal is so stressful.
go in talk to the DA office . I seen it happen before they just totally dismiss all charges and all costs involved

Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,705,848 times
or get a traffic atty - you'll pay like half of what you would have had to - i unfortunately know from experience, kept my florida license a bit longer than i was supposed too...

Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
go in talk to the DA office . I seen it happen before they just totally dismiss all charges and all costs involved
I had a late inspection ticket handled this way. I brought the proof of inspection to the DA's office and they made the ticket "go away".

Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 PM

509 posts, read 1,802,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I had a late inspection ticket handled this way. I brought the proof of inspection to the DA's office and they made the ticket "go away".
Same thing here, except I just showed up at the court date and the judge dismissed it since I got the car inspected.

You could try the same thng with your registration.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
You have taken the best step forward already by renewing. IF, they say they want a money fine tell them straight out "you don't have it right now". Worst case is they stay death by electric chair or "when can you pay it? Next week your honor. Great.sign the stipulation and leave.
Thats my take on it. Don 't add more stress to the problem.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 AM

189 posts, read 580,273 times
Where is the DA office in Mecklenburg? Not that I plan on attending it often, but just in case (Knock on wood!)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Where is the DA office in Mecklenburg? Not that I plan on attending it often, but just in case (Knock on wood!)
It's on the second floor of the Mecklenburg County Courthouse on 4th Street. I think the room number is 2132 or something like that, but you go up to a bank of windows in the lobby (like bank teller windows) and the DA's normally are at the last two. You can park on the 4th street deck - right as you come off the ramp from I-277, it's right in front of you, just go straight into it. The courthouse is catty-corner to the parking deck.

You can go by before your court date and get this taken care of. You don't need an appointment or anything like that. Just bring your citation and the proof that you have updated your registration and see what they will do for you. If you don't like their answer, ask for a continuance and hire a traffic attorney.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte