Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
If a business makes a mistake, that is not MY problem. It is theirs. I expect them to be honourable. Stand behind their mistakes. I am not saying that they have to sell the laptops to everyone at that price, just to those that have the printed web page. That is why there needs to be things in place to prevent these kinds of issues. Again, not my problem.
Honor is not just for companies. Honor is up to the individual.

IMO, they acted honorably by offering you $50 for their mistake.

I'll chalk this entitlement attitude up to the mysteries of the yankee... I think it's the same mysterious force that drives people from northern states to still believe in unions and never look strangers in the eye.

I'd wish you luck with the whole FTC thing, but that would be disingenuous.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:54 AM

747 posts, read 2,104,979 times
As a former Store Manager with an office supplies superstore (they used to "take care of business"), I can tell you what we would have done. "Sorry, all sold out!" We would quite often open our doors on the first day of the ad, and already be sold out of the hot laptop offer. If there was a mistake or typo, we would simply pull the product off the floor and hide away until the furor died down.
As for the cheap laptop the op mentioned, I have quit buying bargain basement electronics. I grew tired of throwing away unrepairable electronics a year or 2 after purchase. I dont buy the most expensive, but I do extensive research before buying anything, and I only like to buy from b & m rather than internet only sites.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'll chalk this entitlement attitude up to the mysteries of the yankee... I think it's the same mysterious force that drives people from northern states to still believe in unions and never look strangers in the eye.

I'll chalk your comments up to you just being an idiot.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'll chalk your comments up to you just being an idiot.
Sure, but can you look me in the eye and say it? lol.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,152,985 times
Here's my problem with this.

Best Buy has a long and well-documented history of pulling Bait & Switch advertising on their website. This is not conjecture or baseless allegations.

It's been in the news and papers, before.

Just type in " Best Buy Bait & Switch " into google or whatever search engine you use and you'll find yourself hours of material to read over.

Just one example:

Connecticut AG charges Best Buy with ‘Internet bait-and-switch’

If there's an honest mistake, then, you can't expect the company to sell a product to you at that low of a price. A price that may or may not be lower than their cost. Certainly you can request they honor their advertised price, regardless of it being a mistake or not. But if they decline to honor it, I can't see getting all bent out of shape over it.

Many years ago when I still lived in New Jersey, I had called 6th Avenue Electronics to get a price quote on a Pioneer Laser Disc player. 6th Ave was roughly a 60-80 minute ride from my house, depending on traffic (which could get really bad in that area); so I wanted to confirm price and availability before making that drive.

I spoke to a salesman, I wrote down his name and price he quoted. He quoted me a price of 575.99 on the model I was seeking. This was quite a surprise to me because the MSRP for the model I was seeking, was $800.00.

So off I went to 6th Avenue. When I arrived a salesman brought me the Laser Disc player and said it was "$799.99". I informed him that I had just spoken to (insert other salesman's name) and he quoted me the price at $575.00 and that I had just driven through an hour of rush hour traffic to get there, based on the quote.

He asked me if I could wait a few minutes while he researched the different Pioneer Laser Disc models and spoke witht he salesman who quoted me the price. So I waited.

As it turned out the phone quote was for a lower Pioneer Laser Disc model, which sat right below the model I wanted. I didn't get irritated or rude. I simply asked them to honor the price I was quoted and expressed a dissatisfaction with the discrepancy in price and what I felt like was a suspicious error in pricing.

I explained to him that I felt it was rather irresponsible, misleading and neglegent to quote incorrect prices and have customers driving an hour to their store.

After some polite exchanges of words, I got the Pioneer Laser Disc model I wanted (the one that MSRP's for $800.00) ......for $526.00 (including taxes) and he threw in a free S-Video cable.

6th Avenue took a very honorable approach to satisfying this customer (me) and I bought several other items from them, after that.

Best Buy has a bad reputation when it comes to this kind of nonsense. It's not just smoke. There's been plenty of fires confirmed.

So I have a difficult time giving BB the benefit of the doubt.

I will occasionally buy DVD movies and CDs at BB, if they have a really good sales price on something I want and it saves me money; in comparison to other retailers. But I don't buy any hardware from them, anymore.

Three previous bad experiences with one particular TV, a computer and camera; has left me sour on their hardware. I gave them three tries and they proved themselves to be something very close to crooked Used Car Salesmen.

Their Geek Squad is a major joke. They grossly over-charge customers for what is barely average tech work and they're always trying to dupe customers in for unneccessary extras.

Big thumbs down for BB.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Honor is not just for companies. Honor is up to the individual.

IMO, they acted honorably by offering you $50 for their mistake.

I'd wish you luck with the whole FTC thing, but that would be disingenuous.
That's interesting, because this yankee who's been in NC for almost ten years, now. Has noticed that many southerners don't/can't look me in the eye when talking to me. For some odd reason.

Amd I have found many southerners who gripe and complain about there not being Unions at their place of work.

Must be us Yankees poisoning their minds.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Quote:
Sure, but can you look me in the eye and say it? lol.

Put it simply: there's not a single thing I've ever posted on here that I wouldn't say in person.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
As for the cheap laptop the op mentioned, I have quit buying bargain basement electronics. I grew tired of throwing away unrepairable electronics a year or 2 after purchase. I dont buy the most expensive, but I do extensive research before buying anything....
Speaking and thinking in general terms, I agree with you on that.

I do believe that most of the time " you get what you pay for ".

But there are some unbelievable, high-quality bargains in the electronics world and there is also a point of diminishing returns.

I truely believe (in theory and practice) that one has to really do some research and comparisons.....when shopping for electronics.

Know what your user habits are, know what you want to get out of a component, know what features you absolutely must have and do a lot of reading, research and digging on a component's functional capabilities, functional reliability and life expectancy. Then compare to other similar models.

I have a friend who bought a cheap $30.00 DVD Player and that player is still going strong over three years later. I know people who have bought cheap players that lasted less than 6 months. It's a crapshoot.

I know people who have bought much more expensive components/or Speakers and had nothing but problems with them.

I know people who have bought expensive components/speakers and they last for decades.....with no problems , whatsoever.

it's all a crapshoot.

Research and know what you're buying.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:58 PM

457 posts, read 1,377,132 times
Please, can we all just wait until Saturday to shop like crazies....unbelieavable...

Wal-Mart worker dies in rush; two killed at toy store - CNN.com

Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
They tried to remedy the mistake by offering a $50 coupon...That seems reasonable considering the situation. I'd take it in this case and move on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte