Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 AM

26 posts, read 82,181 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife and I are planning to re-locate with our son to the Charlotte area from CT soon. We where looking into the various public and private schools and came across this one. Is it as good as it seems to be? We have just one son, so with planning would be able to swing the tuition. We are looking for a hands on institution, where he will not get lost amongst the crowd. Also looking for a school that will teach more than the three r's., want a school that will help us to make him into a responsible strong adult. I am not sure what neighborhood this school is in, or how far away is too far away to live. We are planning to sell our house up here first, then rent in the Charlotte area while we look for the best place to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinacj View Post
Hi everyone. My wife and I are planning to re-locate with our son to the Charlotte area from CT soon. We where looking into the various public and private schools and came across this one. Is it as good as it seems to be? We have just one son, so with planning would be able to swing the tuition. We are looking for a hands on institution, where he will not get lost amongst the crowd. Also looking for a school that will teach more than the three r's., want a school that will help us to make him into a responsible strong adult. I am not sure what neighborhood this school is in, or how far away is too far away to live. We are planning to sell our house up here first, then rent in the Charlotte area while we look for the best place to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
This school is one of the top 4 in Charlotte, and it completely deserves its wonderful reputation. I cannot recommend it highly enough - worth every expensive penny Kids coming out of this school do very well in the real world, as they are well prepared to meet it.

It is also very conveniently located in south Charlotte - well "inside" hwy 51 (which I tend to think of as the dividing line for still getting a decent commute to uptown).

Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
You might want to look at Charlotte Latin too.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,627 times
You can't go wrong with any of the private and religious schools in Charlotte. They are all top.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
I am a graduate of CCS, and when I moved back to Charlotte, and started a family, it is the only place I planned on sending our children.
It is faith based (Christian), but very inter-denominational within the faith.
Yes the Bible is taught, but they pursue academic excellence.
I only hold three degrees, but among my graduating class (years ago) are an Oxford (UK) professor, retired Air Force pilots, numerous in specialized medicine, several lawyers, and one economist who has been on a presidential commission.
In short, I would say the school does well to prepare students for their next stage of life.

Thrilled with all aspects of the school. Feel free to PM me if you have any detailed questions.

Last edited by mullman; 05-27-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Thank you for the information. I have noticed schools start and end earlier thatn they do up here in CT.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM

56 posts, read 160,919 times
I withdrew my daughter from South Charlotte Middle school and enrolled her at Carmel Christian School which is on HWY 51 (Carmel Baptist Church). It has truly changed her life and she is an amazing young lady . . . you may want to give them a look as well. Brand new facility . . . I just can't say enough about it and we interviewed them all and attended all the information sessions, testing, application process . . . Carmel won hands down . .

Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM

I see those two schools are not to far apart. I will definitely check out Carmel also. How is diversity at this school? is it frowned upon to not be a member of the Church if you attend this school?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
I see those two schools are not to far apart. I will definitely check out Carmel also. How is diversity at this school? is it frowned upon to not be a member of the Church if you attend this school?
One of the great things about Charlotte Christian is that over 50 different churches are represented in its student body - and all are respected.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
No, not frowned on at all. Many students who attend do not go to Carmel for church.

Carmel is about 1/3 the cost of Charlotte Christian, but it does only go up to 8th grade.

Dawn

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte