Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 20,433 times

Advertisements

I just came was back From the Charlotte area, and there is no work in the heavy equipment field, I talked to alot of people and noone is hiring, maybe I wasnt looking in the right places but talked woth several diffrent contractors and superitendants, and it was all the same reply, I mean you cant tell me that a company dont have any dead weight, and people that dont want to show up every day, Maybe someone knows of something to help me out .................I cant take another winter here in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,621 times
Its not a good time to be here for construction in CLT. The banks aren't funding as much, in turn there's less construction. You may be about 2 years too late IMO.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM

oh dont get me wrong theres work just companies arent hiring I guess, I was told after the first of the year, and thats fine. I will wait it out till then and see what happens, I will keep trying.I have posted on here several times and got no response either, that was a good sign that I wasnt going to find much at this time

Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPF71 View Post
oh dont get me wrong theres work just companies arent hiring I guess, I was told after the first of the year, and thats fine. I will wait it out till then and see what happens, I will keep trying.I have posted on here several times and got no response either, that was a good sign that I wasnt going to find much at this time
No one is trying to give you bad information. I'm buying a house that I have to renovate & the man who is building the crew to do it has his pick of men who he knows who have many years of experience, because they are not working steadily.

So yes, there is work, but a great many are not getting steady work. If the banks don't lend the money to the builders, and if there aren't buyers for completed houses, the builders can't give steady work to the construction workers.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-27-2008 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 11:47 AM

125 posts, read 469,303 times
When the mortgage companies stopped giving home loans to stupid people that had no business buying houses they couldn't afford in the first place, the building almost stopped.

The liberals during the Carter administration forced through a bill that made the banks make it easier for low income people to buy houses, now 30 years later it's all blown up in our faces...
Look at what it's done to the economy ! ! !

Old 11-27-2008, 12:34 PM

236 posts, read 695,693 times
Wouldn't be great if we could simplify the entire mess by blaming one political party or administration?

Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM

No, im not in the building construction, I am a heavy equipment operator, I do heavy highway, site work, and utility work, I am sorry I should have made that known, my fault. It just seemed every place I went while i was down there I saw open dirt and machines moving. I really thought I would have had more success.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPF71 View Post
No, im not in the building construction, I am a heavy equipment operator, I do heavy highway, site work, and utility work, I am sorry I should have made that known, my fault. It just seemed every place I went while i was down there I saw open dirt and machines moving. I really thought I would have had more success.
I don't know if this is a help to you, but there is highway reconstruction going on in South Jersey. Check with NJDOT. There has been reconstruction going on on I295 the past 2 years. They usually shut down in December until about March, though.

They are ripping up, regrading & re-laying the road.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:06 PM

I appreciate it, I am currently employed in PA, but I am looking to go further south, I really liked the charlotte area, and I am going to focus on that, but thanks.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
I would stay where you are for the time being. Wait until things improve. Make sure that you HAVE a job before moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte