Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
If you could synchronize your lights (the blinking) to jingle bells that would be very "in".
Jingle Bells? No way. If I am gonna synch my lights, it has to be more robust than Jingle Bells.

YouTube - christmas lights to metallica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Ani, we have some of those trees, but they're homemade. They were great for our old house because it was set way back from the street. At this house, everyone walking by would be able to tell they're made of CHICKEN WIRE!! Not HOA-approved, I'm pretty sure.
ROFL!! I told DH that we could make the trees . .. Just do the structure and string the lights all over 'em! But you are so right . . . up close, we would be getting a letter from the HOA!!! (Put them in the back yard!!!!)

Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Jingle Bells? No way. If I am gonna synch my lights, it has to be more robust than Jingle Bells.

YouTube - christmas lights to metallica
Lol...maybe something from Jimmy Buffet?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Lol...maybe something from Jimmy Buffet?
"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" ????

Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

630 posts, read 1,877,118 times
When I was up in the Boston suburbs (Italian neighborhood), I got as many tacky colored lights from Target that were on sale as I could (the ugly ones were cheapest). Yellow and Purple, Gold and some other god-awful colors. The neighborhood was so tacky with its decorations, that I wanted to put our apartment over the top. I also has a big old 5 foot by 5 foot US flag with about 1200 lights that I made. This was all done on the 2nd floor porch and it was so bright, that you could see your shadow in the street. Towards the end, I was just stringing them back and forth across the pillars in a big net.
I had at least 4000 lights on that 25 foot wide porch.

The older neighbors would come up and tell me how beautiful it was and the young college kids would laugh because they knew I did it extra tacky on purpose.

Not all northen neighborhoods are tacky...but some of them are.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
When I was up in the Boston suburbs (Italian neighborhood), I got as many tacky colored lights from Target that were on sale as I could (the ugly ones were cheapest). Yellow and Purple, Gold and some other god-awful colors. The neighborhood was so tacky with its decorations, that I wanted to put our apartment over the top. I also has a big old 5 foot by 5 foot US flag with about 1200 lights that I made. This was all done on the 2nd floor porch and it was so bright, that you could see your shadow in the street. Towards the end, I was just stringing them back and forth across the pillars in a big net.
I had at least 4000 lights on that 25 foot wide porch.

The older neighbors would come up and tell me how beautiful it was and the young college kids would laugh because they knew I did it extra tacky on purpose.

Not all northen neighborhoods are tacky...but some of them are.
But you knew it was over the top and so . . . it was just GOOD FUN!!!! And it was right in keeping w/ the rest of the neighborhood!!! And I bet everyone loved it - for different reasons!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are you sure it isn't????

Why don't you sneak over and unplug all the extension cords!!!! (Did I really say that????)

Take a picture!!!! We wanna see it in all its gaudy glory!!!!

Hopefully, when they get their electric bill, it will discourage them next year.

And send them a trial subscription to Southern Living . . . maybe they will get the message.
It might be....club yankee (sorry, nothing against NY'ers. lol ). I was planning in sending them a anonymous letter telling them how horrible the decorations are. But I am sure once they get their Duke bill they will unplugging most of them.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
It might be....club yankee (sorry, nothing against NY'ers. lol ). I was planning in sending them a anonymous letter telling them how horrible the decorations are. But I am sure once they get their Duke bill they will unplugging most of them.
Heck, don't waste time on the letter! Just post pictures here so we can humiliate them online! ROFL!!!

Okay, that wasn't nice. I apologize.

And really, we shouldn't be making jokes about Club Yankee when we get all prickly about newcomers calling us Club NASCAR!!!!

I wanna see the abominable light display! TAKE PICTURES!!!! Share the joy!!!

Maybe you are like me - my son says I am too "old school" about things. Houses draped w/ chili pepper lights and a flickering Miller Lite Neon sign and rotating Santa displays and big ole lit up snowmen and synchronized lights to the music of Burl Ives singing "Holly, Jolly Christmas" might be 21st Century and we are just poops.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
there an idea

Nascar inflatables you could circle them around the yard like a race track.
You could have a inflatable of Bruton Smith reaching over and lifting out money of a mimic of Concord.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
there an idea

Nascar inflatables you could circle them around the yard like a race track.
You could have a inflatable of Bruton Smith reaching over and lifting out money of a mimic of Concord.
ROFL!! You could have a little village behind Bruton shaking their arms and yelling b/c they are mad about the drag strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte