U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 PM

67 posts, read 271,564 times

Advertisements

I will be going to the Celtics/Bobcats game tomorrow nite.
It's my first time there and I don't wanna get lost or confused or park in an undesirable location.
I am coming from Hickory.
What is the best route to the stadium? Any parking recommendations ?
Is Light Rail a good option? Where would it make sense to board?
Is the Light Rail a safe option later in the evening after the game?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Len in Hickory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,305,732 times
Tomorrow is sure to be a heavy attendence night. That being said, regardless of where you park, you should have no trouble being on the road in less than 15 minutes.

Light rail is perfectly safe, and perhaps a fun novelty. I would say to expect higher than normal ridership, but if you get on at the southern most stop, you should have no problem finding a seat.

If you'd rather park near the arena, I would suggest Brevard north of 7th. It's only a 2-3 block walk to the arena, the price is lower ($5, I think), and it's pretty easy in and out.

As for a route, I would think 16 all of the way in to 277 would work. I get the names confused (who names a loop with 2 different names??), but head on the northern leg, to get to the arena fastest.

Hope you have a great time (and root for the Cats)!!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,986,608 times
Ditto to everything Hoagie58 said. I'd also add, if you were looking for a parking deck, 7th Street Station is a nice one to consider. Its close and fairly inexpensive. You can enter it from either 7th Street or 6th Street.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,999,475 times
I will be going to the Celtics/Bobcats game tomorrow nite.
Have fun!!!

It's my first time there and I don't wanna get lost or confused or park in an undesirable location.
Uptown is quite safe. I doubt you will find any "undesirable" locations.

I am coming from Hickory.
Hickory in da house!!!

What is the best route to the stadium?
US 321 south to I-85 North. Exit HWY16 south (Brookshire) to the Brevard Street exit. Get in the far right lane and turn right onto Brevard Street. Turn right onto 7th then turn a quick left into the 7th street station parking deck.

Any parking recommendations ?
Take the train!!!

Is Light Rail a good option?
HECK YES!!!!!!!

Where would it make sense to board?
I-485 station. That way you will not drive in Charlotte at all!!! Once you cross the Catawba River into Meck on I-85 north, take I-485 south to the South Blvd exit. Go about a half mile north on South Blvd and park at the station on the left for free!!! You can buy a ticket with a credit card or cash at the ticket vending machine on the platform. A round trip ticket is $3 per adult. If you plan on doing more riding than round trip, buy a daily ticket. It gives you unlimited rides on the train and the busses for a day. A daily ticket is only $4.50. Get off at the Arena Station and enjoy the game. The ride is about 20 to 25 minutes long so plan on getting to the station at least 45 minutes before tip off.

Is the Light Rail a safe option later in the evening after the game?
It's safe, but boy is it crowded. If you don't like crowds, hang out uptown a little bit after the game. If you don't, this is what you can expect.

YouTube - urban charlotte

and this!!!

and about 100 people more than this!!!

Thanks for any info you can provide
No problem!!! Enjoy the game Len!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,648,835 times
The only thing I would add is that w/the construction going on around the arena, it could be a little confusing to find where you parked.

When you leave the main entrance, I forgot I had to climb stairs and walk over the rail line to get back to the outdoor parking lots.....(if you don't climb those stairs, you end up by the buses...I got all confused)

My point is just remember exactly where you enter and how you get there...then you'll be fine.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 PM

67 posts, read 271,564 times
Default Thanks for your help!

Went to the game last night.
Everything went very smoothly thanks to your help and advice !
Thanks again!

Len

Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 9,233,007 times
Just to keep this topic going ...

We'll also be heading to the Arena for the first time Thursday Dec. 18th for AC/DC. We have handicap-accessible seating tickets for the event. Does anyone have any experience with handicap parking for Arena events? My experience is that they're always handled first-come first-served and that there are never enough available.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,305,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

We'll also be heading to the Arena for the first time Thursday Dec. 18th for AC/DC. We have handicap-accessible seating tickets for the event. Does anyone have any experience with handicap parking for Arena events? My experience is that they're always handled first-come first-served and that there are never enough available.
What section and row are your seats for? There is no general admission seating in the arena- all seats are assigned. If you purchased tickets that were specifically labeled "accessible" then your seats were assigned in a section and row that is accessible.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:54 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,068,854 times
FYI-if you park in the Hearst Tower and eat at Soho Bistro they will validate your parking. Great Chinese food, I highly recommend the Tangerine Chicken, DH loves the Sweet n Sour Chicken. The egg rolls are excellent! I can taste them now, hmmm. This way, you get their ahead of traffic, have a nice relaxing dinner (which is better than the arena food, unless you eat at Front or Back Court) and you get free parking. Entree's run about $15 pp, not too bad for good food and service and a 1 block walk.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:14 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,275,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

We'll also be heading to the Arena for the first time Thursday Dec. 18th for AC/DC.
Envy.....

YouTube - AC/DC "Rock 'N Roll Train" - Official Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte