Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 01:19 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Do the businesses & stores in the Charlotte area do special displays for the Christmas shopping season? The stores in Center City Philly have a tradition of special displays. This is one of them. While the light show is playing, people crowd the selling floor & sit on the floor. All business stops, & you can usually hear a pin drop. The light show was started by the John Wanamaker store but has been continued by other stores who have acquired the building. The original narrator was John Facenda, a local newsman who most of you know as the original "voice" of NFL Films.

YouTube - Xmas Light Show at Macys in Philadelphia 12-2007

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-29-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 12:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
You will find decorations here, but no real "shows" that I am aware of. The only place I have been that has this type of display would be the Gaylord Grand Ole Opry Hotel in Nashville. That doesn't mean that other places don't have such shows . . . just that the only place I have seen this type of Christmas show (in the South) has been in Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry Hotel. There very well may be something along these lines in ATL . . . but to my knowledge, nothing here in CLT . . .

There are some coastal light displays and shows, blessing of the boats, etc. that go on up and down the coasts of NC, SC, GA . . .

Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
There are the singing, animated bears in BOA's atrium thing downtown.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
You can tell I don't have little kids, LOL!! When you have little ones, you seek out every possible entertainment venue . . . I have never seen this display . . . I bet it is really cute.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Not sure what this will be like, but I remember reading that the Billy Graham Library is having special events for Christmas, including carolers, light displays and carriage rides:

BGEA: About Us: News

Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You will find decorations here, but no real "shows" that I am aware of. The only place I have been that has this type of display would be the Gaylord Grand Ole Opry Hotel in Nashville. That doesn't mean that other places don't have such shows . . . just that the only place I have seen this type of Christmas show has been in Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry Hotel.
Thanks, Ani. I may have worded the original question wrong. There are a good many displays, but only 2 on YouTube to post as examples. & this was better than the video of the Dickens Village/A Christmas Carol set up of animated figures which really would have been my 1st choice. I think it's (the Dickens set up) closer to what is more normal for Christmas displays than the light show. What I was getting at was something that goes beyond just the regular decorations on the selling floors, or display windows. Maybe windows with animated figures? Just a little beyond the average.

Oh, & I hate to say this, but after reading the other Christmas-related threads, I'm not trying to draw a comparison, folks, just asking a simple civil question. (Not at all directed at you, Ani. I appreciated your response.)

Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Thanks! That's exactly what I meant.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Not sure what this will be like, but I remember reading that the Billy Graham Library is having special events for Christmas, including carolers, light displays and carriage rides:

BGEA: About Us: News
Thanks, Ani! that's what I meant. I just worded the original question wrong.

I know that this sort of thing can make a nice outing whether you have kids or not.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Ani. I may have worded the original question wrong. There are a good many displays, but only 2 on YouTube to post as examples. & this was better than the video of the Dickens Village/A Christmas Carol set up of animated figures which really would have been my 1st choice. I think it's (the Dickens set up) closer to what is more normal for Christmas displays than the light show. What I was getting at was something that goes beyond just the regular decorations on the selling floors, or display windows. Maybe windows with animated figures? Just a little beyond the average.

Oh, & I hate to say this, but after reading the other Christmas-related threads, I'm not trying to draw a comparison, folks, just asking a simple civil question. (Not at all directed at you, Ani. I appreciated your response.)
I don't think anyone thought it was at all a put down or anything along those lines. The very extensive window displays in NYC, for ex., are something the rest of the country has always looked forward to seeing - if lucky enuff to make a trip to the Big Apple around Christmas . . . and I would assume Atlanta has some beautiful displays going . . . just haven't been to ATL during December for a while . . .

Maybe others will post if they have seen things this year that are animated displays such as CHIcubs did w/ the BofA dancing bears.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone thought it was at all a put down or anything along those lines. The very extensive window displays in NYC, for ex., are something the rest of the country has always looked forward to seeing - if lucky enuff to make a trip to the Big Apple around Christmas . . . and I would assume Atlanta has some beautiful displays going . . . just haven't been to ATL during December for a while . . .

Maybe others will post if they have seen things this year that are animated displays such as CHIcubs did w/ the BofA dancing bears.
LOL, I didn't think that there was a reason for venom in the other threads, either, Ani. I just don't want it here.

I hope that others will post whatever commercial displays they see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: