U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times

Advertisements

I'm only asking IF it happens. Living in Miami and never even seeing the stuff, I'd like some tips. I have new tires on my car and obviously I know to take my time, etc. However, I only live 4 miles from my job and it doesn't require any major roads. Tips are really appreciated so I can keep myself and others safe.

PS-I know to stock up on bread and milk already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Personally being that close but that is a hike walking to I would call a cab. I dont know if you been out when it rains and there is oodles of wrecks and backups .
With snow it double all that. Snow is rare thing around here and people do not know how to handle it.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
allow plenty of stopping distance. don't slam brakes. if you slide, turn into the direction of your slide. plan for other careless drivers and make accomdations. allow plenty of stopping distance. allow plenty of stopping distance. allow plenty of stopping distance.

Did I mention to allow for plenty of stopping distance? Unless there is ice, you'll probably be surprised at how well traction is on snow.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times
Yes, I've driven in rain numerous times here and in Miami. I'm looking for specific tips. Thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,023 times
Quote:
Unless there is ice,
Yes that's the key because most non major roads aren't pre-treated or scraped. Sometimes there is a brief period of "wintry mix" beforehand that leaves a layer of ice under the snow.

NC DMV - Chapter 4: Hazardous Driving

Quote:
Snow and ice make roads very slippery, especially when the temperature is at or below freezing. Hard-packed snow increases the danger of skidding. As you drive, watch for shady spots, bridges and overpasses since these places are often the first to freeze as the temperature drops. If you must drive during a snowstorm, reduce speed, use windshield wipers and turn on the low beam headlights. It is recommended that you reduce speed by more than half for packed snow and slow to a crawl on ice. Use chains if necessary for better traction, but do not forget that even chains and snow tires can slide on ice and packed snow. You cannot start, stop or maneuver quickly in these conditions. Watch for other drivers.

When you are starting or stopping on snowy or icy roads:

increase your speed slowly;
get the "feel of the road" by testing your steering control and the braking friction;
start to move in second gear or higher and release the clutch slowly (for manual shifts);
allow at least three times the normal stopping distance as you begin to slow down;
(when you stop) keep your foot off the brake and let the engine slow the vehicle; and
maintain extra distance between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.
ETA: Here's a post from the Raleigh board showing significant snowfalls in NC, up to 2004.

Last edited by NCgirl; 12-01-2008 at 06:31 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,638,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes, I've driven in rain numerous times here and in Miami. I'm looking for specific tips. Thanks
Having driven in numerous blizzards in my lifetime I can advise on a couple things...

1. Just because you drive an SUV, it doesn't make driving any safer. You wouldn't believe how many people drive at the same speed in the snow as they would during normal conditions w/an SUV. Idiots....

2. Stay in the lane thats plowed the best obviously. Seen many times where people will drive in a lane that hasn't been cleared/plowed...

3. Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination. Leave early.

4. Obviously drive SLOW.

5. Most importantly, IF you don't absolutely have to drive, then DON'T. Don't try to be a Hero on the roads. No one cares.....

6. Carry a small bottle of windshield de-icer w/you. The most annoying thing is when your windshield wipers freeze and don't clear your windshield.

7. Don't "jam" on your brakes if you hit an ice patch....pumping them is always better.

8. Don't "panic", stay calm.

These common sense tips are the best advice I can give. I know some might say I'm going a little overboard for this climate, but I don't take chances. Never had an accident in any snowstorms....Also, I would check out various other state chat rooms on C/D. Any of the northern states should prob have some good tips also.....

Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Everyone has already given the best advice, but when I read your request for info, the first thing that came to my mind was - give yourself plenty of time to stop, as people do skid and hit others - as well as getting hit b/c they couldn't stop at an intersection. So NativeSon gave you the advice I was gonna give. It cannot be emphasized enuff. I see it every time it snows . . . people put on brakes and the vehicle keeps going and then the drivers get frantic . . . not a good thing.

As others have said - only the main highways will be scraped/salted/de-iced and even then - they re-freeze. The secondary roads and side roads/streets - well - you are on your own.

If you have a sedan, you might consider loading up the trunk w/ bags of sand if you are doing much travel. We always do this when we are in the mountains. It is somewhat overkill here in CLT city limits to bother - since the snow/ice rarely lasts long . . . but when I know I have to get to the airport, then I make sure I have sand bags for my trunk. Just my being overly cautious but having been involved in skids many times over a lifetime of driving both here and in KS/MO . . . it is just my way of being a bit safer.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM

189 posts, read 525,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm only asking IF it happens. Living in Miami and never even seeing the stuff, I'd like some tips. I have new tires on my car and obviously I know to take my time, etc. However, I only live 4 miles from my job and it doesn't require any major roads. Tips are really appreciated so I can keep myself and others safe.

PS-I know to stock up on bread and milk already
Dont drive in the snow in Charlotte. Its one thing to read tips its another to actually perform in a stressful situation.

In my experience down here (only 2 winters) most people drive too fast for the conditions and when they attempt to slow down the hit the brake too quickly resulting in loss of control. Good luck and be safe!

PS: Why do people horde water and bread when an inch of snow is forecasted here?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

PS: Why do people horde water and bread when an inch of snow is forecasted here?
This region has a history of power outages, so people stock up on bread for sandwiches (peanut butter, tuna fish) and milk (for the kids, also for cereal).

One year, that little ice storm put over 1 million people in this region out of power for days . . . so the natives have long memories and rush out to get bread, milk, canned tuna, crackers, etc.

ETA: I don't have to rush out. I keep stocked up on staples (including powdered and evaporated milk). I have been thru/ MANY power outages that lasted more than three days . . . and it ain't a good thing.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM

189 posts, read 525,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This region has a history of power outages, so people stock up on bread for sandwiches (peanut butter, tuna fish) and milk (for the kids, also for cereal).

One year, that little ice storm put over 1 million people in this region out of power for days . . . so the natives have long memories and rush out to get bread, milk, canned tuna, crackers, etc.

ETA: I don't have to rush out. I keep stocked up on staples (including powdered and evaporated milk). I have been thru/ MANY power outages that lasted more than three days . . . and it ain't a good thing.
Good to know. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte