U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,088,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
FOCUS ON THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD

AND ONLY POST REGARDING THE ORIGINAL POST

and not about other topics that other members have brought up

Thanks
Question for moderator: For threads that are clearly off-topic, but are generating interesting feedback, is it possible to take the posts from where it went off-topic and just start a new thread? It seems a shame to shut it down for being off-topic when people want to discuss, I know a new thread could be started but then previous conversation would be lost.

Besides though, the OP asked "What is wrong with these people?" So far as I can tell, we are on-topic and answering the question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:08 PM

236 posts, read 614,168 times
I skipped through most of this thread, but personally think that most people are pretty much paranoid. IMO, the most dangerous thing you can do every day is get into a car. Your chances of dying or getting injured are MUCH greater on the way to Fox and Hounds at 11:00PM than it is actually being there.

Most crime is extremely random or more likely a crime where both and the shooter and victim knew each other.

You'll probably die early from all the self inflicted stress of worrying all the time...IMO

Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Sunny, love the graphics!!!!! ROFL!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 PM

124 posts, read 411,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Uhhhh Sunny....
You might want to watch that animated gif you just posted.

which one, the cat and the dog???

Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM

72 posts, read 210,018 times
Now, after this, maybe I'll stop being flamed when I say I don't feel safe being around NorthLake at night

Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Urban makes a lot of great points. As I am also from Chicago, home of Jesse Jackson and the beginning of ALL gangs...(the Mob)...I know what he speaks of. You are correct, Urban, more educated people need to take an interest with the people in lower-income areas. Our president-elect did just that when he revililized the Hyde Park area of Chicago, once a crime-ridden area that nobody would set foot in. Black/white...successful people really need to look past the attitudes and the pretend dominance and DO SOMETHING constructive for these people.

No offense, guys, but, Charlotte really does stick its head in the sand concerning these things. When I first arrived here in 1989, I saw gang tagging in different places. I asked my community police officer (I was managing an apartment complex at the time) what was being done to combat the gang activity. He looked at me like I had an extra head and said, "there are no gangs in Charlotte". Right. Now, here we are with a huge gang problem, pretty much out of control that they are now acknowledging existed long before they ever developed any kind of task force against it.

Regarding incidents like what happened at Northlake, are we upset because it happened at Northlake...or, because it happened at all? We really need to heed to a lot of what urbancharlotte has said. He is a product of that environment that managed to break free of that cycle. He is only trying to show us the why...not making excuses, but, to give us information on how we can (hopefully) help diminish this kind of activity.

I am a product of a crappy neighbourhood in Chicago, too. Wrong side of the tracks as it were. Gang activity rampant. By God's grace, I managed to work myself out of that mindset. You do get angry at those that have stuff and don't appreciate it...especially when it seems like nothing is coming your way. Shooting people, well, thankfully, I never got there. But, I did beat up a few!

We must petition Charlotte city council to first of all, keep the thugs that commit crimes in jail and stop with this revolving door stuff. Then, we need to see what kinds of programs, Scared Straight, whatever, can be started to keep future generations of young people from falling into this trap.

Thank you, Urban, for your frank and heartfelt posts.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
Update - Pubgoer says his gang tattoo led to gunfire (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/388482.html - broken link)

Quote:
Customer Palo Childress, 22, said he believes he was the gunman's true target. He said the shooter recognized his Crips gang arm tattoo. Childress said the shooter is a member of the rival Bloods: “I know he was gunning for me, and instead he got an innocent bystander,” Childress told NewsChannel 36, the Observer's news partner.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:40 AM

94 posts, read 216,567 times
Wow!!! We spent the afternoon at Northlake Mall on Sunday while we waited for our 6:00 flight back to Houston. We stayed in Davis over the Hollidays looking for homes in the Peninsula area.

I thought the Mall looked nice and clean. I noticed it wasn't as busy as I would expect the holiday weekend and figured it was a sign of the economy. I didn't notice any "thugs" hanging out. I even let my teenage daughters split up to do some shopping while my DH and I played with our 9 month old in the kiddie area. The kiddie area was the busiest part of the mall with moms and babies of all races just playing. The moms looked as concerned about their toddlers being jumped on as we were with ours. We even discussed eating at the Fox and the Hound, but decided against it because we had the baby with us and opted for the food mart instead. Again if there were thugs.... I didn't catch it.... they looked like groups of teenagers in every other Mall I have ever been in hanging out in food courts. I thought the white boys looked more rough then the hispanic or black boys I saw. Long scruffy hair and an attitude, scateboarder type. Which my daughters tell me is the style.... I saw security trolling the mall on one of those motorized scooters.

We will be moving to Charlotte in two weeks and living in Corneilus in corporate housing for 3 months while we look for a home. I am disappointed to hear this happened at the Mall so close to us being there. I am also concerned about the posts I have read on this link. I will file the information away and proceed with caution. I will still shop in that area as it was the closest shopping I saw besides Birkshire or Birkdale (sp?). However, I will be hesitant to let my daughters go on there own which is going to be a huge disappointment for them.

One of the posters mentioned the Northlake Mall being like the University. What is wrong with the University? And I didn't think the University was all that close to the Northlake Mall. It looked like a lot of good shopping and great restaurants over by the University to me. Is that not a safe area either? She is talking about UNC right?

Crime can happen anytime anywhere. But do y'all notice that it is pretty safe during daytime hours? Does most crime happen in the evenings? They mentioned in that article that the shooting happened at 1a.m. Could it have been alcohol or drug related or was it strictly gang related?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I personally don't like Northlake and try to avoid it at all costs.. I have just heard FAR too many crime stories at that mall!! From parking lot assaults to car break ins and now this.. I know there's a bunch of new construction over there that makes it seem "nice" but I know a cop that is assigned to that area and near the university area and he knows very well from the inside scoop that it is really not the nicest place in Charlotte. Me and the husband went to the movies at northlake once.. we saw thugs Ani, they are definitely around. Someone was also held up at gunpoint at that new Target.. I refuse to go over there without my husband, which is a SHAME that I have to be nervous like that!!!!!!! I'm just not down with the northlake/university area .. i know i know "the mall is not the university area" but come on, it's down the street.. same area. I'm assuming that's the mall that university area people use. Not ME!!!!!!!! I travel to South park for all my mall needs.
This mall is no where near the University area it about 20 - 30 minutes away misguided information as you see in a few posts above misleads people to believe it next to North Lake area which it is not. North Lake area is developing from nothing but fields and woods to a higher end middle class area.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,227,970 times
We use Northlake Mall and the surrounding shopping centers a lot. That being said, yes this event disturbs me a little, not so much about the fact that there's gang activity around (I can't recall many points in my adult life when that wasn't a fact) but this escalation into lethal use of violence is disconcerting. Whatever happened to taking a fist/knife fights outside? Anyway, in all seriousness, I had this thought last night. Maybe Charlotte should get together with Huntersville and have Huntersville annex all of that property. Then, HPD could add that to their daily patrol duties. You've got to admit, they seem to do a better job with making their presence known, and seem to keep the areas under their influence safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or