Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
One would assume the type of patrons that F & H draws would not be thugs. I have heard people complain that a lot of unsavory characters have been hanging around areas of the mall. Surely law enforcement are not gonna let Northlake Mall turn into the same kind of situation that we have had over at Eastland Mall. But now I am wondering.

Since I don't live there, I have only heard comments and concerns voiced by others. Any of you spend time at Northlakes at nite? Have you seen gangs or groups that look thuggish hanging around?
We were there late in the day some weekends back. It didn't look like there were any more trouble making looking kids than you'd see anywhere else. It didn't seem bad at all. Early in the day or midday it's a nice enough place, certainly nice enough that I was a little surprised to hear there have been reports of break ins and unsavories hanging around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Northlake is in Northwest Charlotte thisclose to Huntersville.

Map

Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well, my son is a college student (25 y/o) and it would not be odd for him and his g/f (22 y/o) and their friends to be out at a nice place like F&H at 1 am in the morning. They usually come home b/f midnite, but it wouldn't be strange if they were out w/ friends. And that is what worries me. College aged kids at an upscale sports bar . . . being subjected to some crazy w/ a gun.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, something has to be done now, then. If this shopping area gets the rep of being a hangout for thugs . . . that would be horrific. It is a needed shopping district for the area and should be a safe place for families, as well as for young people out on dates. This is truly sickening. I hope residents will start raising hell and get police actively on site, patrolling and picking up miscreants - and breaking up groups that are hanging around parking lots.
Currently there isnt much residents living in the area surrounding the mall .
Except mainly a apartment complex off the old reames rd and I avoided flipping a condo that was in foreclousure due to sketchiness .

Again there no police precinct in the area to patrol the area on regular basis and I never seen the mall rent a cop patrol the shopping centers that surround the mall which the fox n hound is in.

Nothing goes on good after midnight anyways just trouble so the innocent bystander just happen to be wrong place definitely at wrong time

Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
I go to Fox and the Hound at Birkdale, Uptown and Northlake. It is just a typical Sports Bar, so 1:15 is not unusual to be open. This sounds less gangish and more idiotish. I don't go to the Northlake one as often anymore, because its a bit too smokey. The whole Northlake area though needs a little work done on crowd control. The way the layout is, the movie theatre is in the Bank and has people hanging out, but isn't near the food court. Normally I see that around malls all the time. But I don't see enough patrols either by the mall or the new Best Buy area. If they could add one patrol even 24X7 especially when those apts open (which look fairly nice, so I won't assume it would be "thug" infested). Northlake has a lot going for it, brand new Target, REI, Best Buy, Pet Smart, Lowes, Tek Bikes, etc, opening up. It won't be the new Eastland anytime soon. Once the 485 opens up it will even see more traffic.

Ani, I don't think you can protect them 24x7, because I see this as random. I don't like it, but it could have happend at South, Birk, or Mall of America.

Last edited by Whytewulf; 12-01-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Except mainly a apartment complex off the old reames rd and I avoided flipping a condo that was in foreclousure due to sketchiness .

Again there no police precinct in the area to patrol the area on regular basis and I never seen the mall rent a cop patrol the shopping centers that surround the mall which the fox n hound is in.

Nothing goes on good after midnight anyways just trouble so the innocent bystander just happen to be wrong place definitely at wrong time
Frankly, I have gotten where I think being out after 9 pm is dangerous. My DH and DS think I have lost my mind. They went to the movies the other nite (S. BLVD) and didn't get home til around 10:30 . . . they thought I was totally wacko for being concerned. I used to think nothing of being out til midnite . . . but we have way too many thugs out on the streets these days . . . and I don't wanna be the innocent bystander, you know? I won't even go to the gas station after 9 pm anymore. I won't go to an ATM after dark.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I agree, with the huge amount of retail there and even more people on the way, it seems like a good spot for a sub station. Maybe even in the same outdoor area where Fox is.

I disagree that "nothing goes on good after midnight". I find that restrcitive thinking, as not everyone can "have their fun" from 7-12. Yes the families and "older" minded folk go to bed earlier, but no reason you can't have fun dancing, shooting pool, or hanging with friends after midnight. You should be able to feel safe and have fun 24X7. And Ani 9pm? Half the time I don't get out of work till 8pm. I have to do my shopping, gas filler ups, late. This same kind of thing could have happened at noon too, in fact it does all too often.

Last edited by Whytewulf; 12-01-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post

Ani, I don't think you can protect them 24x7, because I see this as random. I don't like it, but it oculd have happend at South, Birk, or Mall of America.
I know you are right, Wulf. But damn. I should not even have to think about such things. When we are up in Boone, for ex., we all might be at a sports bar after midnite . . . and the last thing I would be thinking about (b/c the crowds are all decent people - no miscreants in a place like F&H) - is someone walking in w/ a handgun. It is just nuts. I can only imagine how management at F&H are feeling right now . . . a really nice sports bar where even middle aged people like me go, LOL. Just sux.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 AM

I don't like it, but it's Sphere of Influence, you really should only try and worry about those items you can control. Be vigilant and smart, but in the end you have to live. As they said after 9/11 we have to keep on going on, no terrorist or thug will influence my decisions, they will not hinder my freedom. I will not fear going to work, I will not fear walking outside, I will not fear living my life proud and free. The spirit of good people will win out and the actions we take to prevent such situations from occuring will be smart and must be effective. But we can only do so much. Until they build personal force shields, I think we are all at risk, but then someone will build a better laser!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I don't like it, but it's Sphere of Influence, you really should only try and worry about those items you can control. Be vigilant and smart, but in the end you have to live. As they said after 9/11 we have to keep on going on, no terrorist or thug will influence my decisions, they will not hinder my freedom. I will not fear going to work, I will not fear walking outside, I will not fear living my life proud and free. The spirit of good people will win out and the actions we take to prevent such situations from occuring will be smart and must be effective. But we can only do so much. Until they build personal force shields, I think we are all at risk, but then someone will build a better laser!
That makes total sense. You have the right attitude, and I so agree - we have to make sure reasonable steps are taken to keep the possibilities of such heinous events from occurring. We can't stop living normal lives . . . I just hope law enforcement will take this situation at Northlake very seriously and come up w/ sensible PROACTIVE solutions. I think the substation idea is spot on . . .

I am probably way too cautious. I know my DH and DS think I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte