Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
I searched and found this study (dated 2003) about re-developing the Eastland Mall area. It makes for interesting reading as it does touch on the reasons why the area started going downhill. It's long, but you can skim through it:
http://www.eastsidepac.com/docs/east...astlandwww.pdf

I wonder if there was any action undertaken, after this study was done. It doesn't sound like the recommendations were implemented.
MZD: That is the plan I referred to in an earlier post! So glad you found it and posted a link!!! Seems I checked into this in 2007 and found hardly anything had happened in re: to implementing that plan. I guess the problem has been funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM

That real estate could be a valuable resource to the community. A shame that innovative use has not been put into place.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:13 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
I searched and found this study (dated 2003) about re-developing the Eastland Mall area. It makes for interesting reading as it does touch on the reasons why the area started going downhill. It's long, but you can skim through it:
http://www.eastsidepac.com/docs/east...astlandwww.pdf

I wonder if there was any action undertaken, after this study was done. It doesn't sound like the recommendations were implemented.
This study was done 5 years ago. I'm sure little to nothing has been done. Now with the economy the way it is, it's probably too late. When the economy rebounds the powers that be are going to save certain areas, Eastland may be a lost cause at that point.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,448 times
I am from here and I would say it started to go down during the early 90's. It's too bad really... it use to be a pretty nice area. I grew up near Sharon Amity rd and when I was a kid going to Eastland use to be my parents Sat night date. I wish they would just make up thier minds about redoing the area. It is close in to town so I expect eventually it will go back up. You also have nice older neighborhoods nearby like Coventry Woods and Central Park. I keep waiting for people to move in and renovate these such as Plaza Mid and NoDa but it just has not happened yet. I miss the old Eastland Mall from when I was a kid.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Oh, my ... that's 15 years ago. Why on earth would a big box be left like that for that many years to decay? Kind of makes you think what the current economic woes are going to do to communities. Many may fall quicker than Eastland did.
I know, can you believe??

We shopped only at Eastland Mall until about 1997 - the some of the bigger stores began closing and the area began to feel less safe. I'd say the general consensus of posters here is that it began to decline in the late 90's. Not sure why Uptons went ouf so much earlier, there was one in Pineville that stayed open years longer.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
I am from here and I would say it started to go down during the early 90's. It's too bad really... it use to be a pretty nice area. I grew up near Sharon Amity rd and when I was a kid going to Eastland use to be my parents Sat night date. I wish they would just make up thier minds about redoing the area. It is close in to town so I expect eventually it will go back up. You also have nice older neighborhoods nearby like Coventry Woods and Central Park. I keep waiting for people to move in and renovate these such as Plaza Mid and NoDa but it just has not happened yet. I miss the old Eastland Mall from when I was a kid.
I think people are holding off b/c of the riff raff on the perimeter of those areas. And too bad . . . we are at least 10 years behind on addressing the situation around that whole area.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I'm not really surprised with Carolina Place going downhill for the reasons mentioned above. South Park is pretty well insulated and will be the last mall to see any trouble like Eastland. Just not in the cards.

I remember shopping at Eastland as late as 1999-2000. It was not on the way out. It was way out. I remember hearing of robberies in the parking lot, especially under the parking deck. Lots of stores would be stolen blind. Problems abound.

I had family that lived in that area up until the mid-90's and they moved before things got to where they are now. My stepbrother moved into Sailboat Bay on Albemarle and the very first day he was there he was told by another renter that he should get a gun. Not think about it. Do it imediately. 2 days later someone broke into his apartment while he was gone but his girlfriend was there in the shower. They left that day.

Putt Putt, Harris Teeter, movie theaters, record shops, etc. saw reason to pull out of the area. I think it would be interesting to put together a list of all the business that left the area because of the problems that came about in the 90s. I'd bet it would be a LONG list.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
More like 1993 - way before Eastland's decline. I was so disappointed because I used to love to shop there.
I respectfully disagree Loves. I bought several shirts from Uptons during their going-out-of-business sale. I started working in Charlotte in 1999, so it had to be after that.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I respectfully disagree Loves. I bought several shirts from Uptons during their going-out-of-business sale. I started working in Charlotte in 1999, so it had to be after that.
LBI, could you possibly be confusing the Uptons's on Hwy 51 near Pineville with the one on Albemarle Rd? The Albemarle Rd location is the one I am talking about closing in the early 90's.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,674 times
Loves, I may be confusing it with another store, too, but didn't they run it as a clearance center for a while. I recall going there and thinking it was full of junk - not the normal Uptons that I loved so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte