U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
CPI told me that they will respond but at a much lower urgency, I think they told me like 2-3 hours or something.

But who knows if they were correct or not.
I will only admit to being wrong one time per person, per day. You used yours up in the silo thread. Therefore, I must insist that there is no way an owner of an unregistered alarm will get police repsonse, for said alarm's activation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,724,681 times
I'm betting that an un-registered owner gets the "311 treatment" or non-emergency status. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that a police department is justified in ignoring any possible threat to public safety or property...regardless of how long they may take in responding.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,455 times
I work for a local alarm company and the police will not dispatch to any business or residence who does not have a permit - and this is the important bit - ON FILE with the monitoring company or with them. So get your permit - you can do it online although the CMPD website is a nightmare to work with and more than likely it will tell you that your street doesn't exits - and then let your monitoring company know your permit number so that if you have to appeal any fines then at least you know that the monitoring company had the information to hand.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 PM

The way I read the rules, it looks like CMPD is the only one who matters when it comes to who has it on file and who doesn't...and I'd be willing to bet that's the answer you'd get if you called. I suggest doing the prudent thing and making sure you're registered with CMPD yearly on your own. $100 ticket is steep.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
I've called 911 for shots fired before and received a 1 hour response time. Don't get me started.
If your house is broken into, this might be an interesting experiment to perform. Call the police and then order a pizza. See who shows up first!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,703,600 times
I have a permit, but....

I had a false alarm and called the monitoring company to make sure they wouldn't dispatch the police. Turned out they had already contacted the police but were told they wouldn't come out because I didn't have a permit. After several other calls I found out the monitoring company didn't have the permit number.

After a bit of hassle I think I'm covered. But I wouldn't have known without the false alarm.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
...but were told they wouldn't come out because I didn't have a permit...
Wowzers. That stinks. So much for the sense of security!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Wowzers. That stinks. So much for the sense of security!
But, imagine how many resources we'd tie up if there were no way to hold homeowners accountable. I think the (free) permit is nothing more than a statement of understanding from the homeowner that they get 2 freebies, and then it's on them. I reported a theft in progress once- some guys I didnt know were literally walking out of my neighbor's unoccupied residence, with appliances. The police responded in no more than 2 minutes- 5 cars. Now, picture the cost in manpower to answer every alarm- 5 men x 30mins/man= 2 1/2 man hours minimum. Certainly understandable that the city wants to make people accountable...

Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 AM

Oh I have no quirms with the permit rule. I'm just dumbfounded at NCDave's debacle! He thought he was all rule-abiding and safe...ERRRRR! Wrong!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Oh I have no quirms with the permit rule. I'm just dumbfounded at NCDave's debacle! He thought he was all rule-abiding and safe...ERRRRR! Wrong!
Yeah, that is kinda crappy! When I registered mine, I had just happened to test the system at the same time. If it hadnt been convenient, I may well not have given the permit number to the monitoring company either. The city pays (and, healthily, I'm sure!) a company to maintain the records of people hat are registered- you'd think it would be their job to let the police know if you're registered or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte