U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,868,979 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with Home Decorators Collection furniture? They have some nice looking things on their Web site but I'd like to be able to try out furniture in person instead of ordering it online.

Their Web site says that they are located inside of the Home Depot Design Center... but for the life of me I can't place where in the store the furniture is!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times
I went there and was kinda disappointed. Not very big and stuffed to the max with stuff. Its inside the HD on the left side.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks, himain. Now that you mention it the location rings a bell. If memory serves, its a lot of furniture all jumbled together, not at all like a typical furniture showroom. Am I right?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM

714 posts, read 2,031,258 times
If you like what's in the HDC catalog, you should like what's at the HDC located inside Home Depot Design Center.

Yes, it's furniture somewhat jumbled together. It's very odd, it's a quasi-location, more than a separate storefront.

Some of their furniture is a bear to put together. I try only to buy the stuff that's mostly assembled.

We recently went to them to buy their 22" Chelsea furniture sink for our bathroom. There is a huge benefit to having HDC nearby locally: You can order at the store, and they'll ship it to the store for free and then you can just go and pick it up. That saves a lot in their shipping charges, especially for bulkier furniture. As an added bonus, you can inspect it at the store, and not have to deal with shipping if something's broken or not right with it.

Oh, and if the furniture you want is at the store, of course you can just buy it from them right there and take it home that day. Our sink was not in stock, but enough of the other widths/types of sinks were in stock that I felt comfortable ordering it there. They are very nice quality sinks.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks, Diertac. I appreciate your feedback!

I actually like a lot of the furniture on their Web site. I was hoping that they would have some of it in the store so we can try it out before we buy. But I admit... we have a LOT of furniture to buy for our new home, and I'm lacking the imagination to put individual pieces together on my own. For this reason, more traditional furniture showrooms are appealing to me right now, because they show how everything looks all put together.

I know a lot of people might say that our furniture doesn't have to be all "matchy matchy", but as a first time buyer, my brain is fried!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 PM

I understand completely about having to figure out how to put furniture pieces together in a room for it to look good. My stepmother has a gift for that sort of thing. Me, not so much.

I am, however, relishing in one small victory. I recently hung a Cezanne print in our guest bedroom, which is of course a painting of the Provencal countryside. Suddenly I was inspired to do the entire guest bedroom in a Provencal (I can't make the little cedille on the C) theme. Once I had a theme, ideas for the paint color, and furniture and everything came rushing to me. I deliberately did not go "matchy matchy" with anything, remembering that where we stayed in Provence, everything was very eclectic and not coordinated.

The room looks freaking fantastic, if I do say so myself. So my advice, figure out a theme for some of the rooms and try to go from there. Good luck, it's hard!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 PM

How wonderful, diertac! I'd love to see a picture if you have one to post.

Someone (not one of the good folks on the Charlotte Forum!) absolutely BERATED me for wanting my furniture to look like it all goes together. They went off and blamed me for the "Pottery Barn-i-zation" of America. I was dumbfounded!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:54 PM

I will have to take a photo and post it. I am so proud of the room I could burst, it's my first design success. I often go in and just look at it. (I am a dork!)

I can't believe someone went off on you about that. Really? "Pottery Barn-i-zation of America"? Wow. You know, some people must lead really unhappy lives to go ballistic over innocuous discussions.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah... it was pretty crazy. That person definitely needs to get out more - LOL!

Can't wait to see a pic of your guest room. Thanks again for your feedback!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 AM

197 posts, read 431,808 times
The furniture section is to the extreme left as you enter the design center. Personally, though they have some very nice things, you can find the exact same things (though sometimes with a different brand name) for much less at other stores. The design center carries what is deemed the "up scale" version. My sister lives in the South Park area and bought her range and washer/dryer there, but even she admits she could have gotten something comparable for much less somewhere else. Also, good luck getting anyone to help you unless you're shopping for major appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte