U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM

6 posts, read 10,399 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I first want to thank you for your time! My family is looking to relocate to eastward due to a company transfer. We originally were looking at Georgia, at least that's what they told us, so I posted to those forums and never heard back,Now we are concidering North Carolina (on our own) Im hoping that Carolinans are friendlier to newcomers!

I looked up the forums on Charlotte and was mortified at the number of listings discusing crime rate in the area. I am however, not willing to write off the state!! I began looking a little away from the city to some outlying towns. I am so far liking the posts I have found.
We are from (currently) A very small town outside of Reno, NV we moved here from the Bay area in California to escape super high prices, poorly preforming schools and major crime.

So, I am sure you can tell what I am searching for... a nice safe family friendly community, with nice schools and with in reason to shopping. My husbands work will carry him all over the area and he is resigned to a crappy comute no matter where we live! But he does not want to drive a half hour BEFORE he hits bad trafic, I hope that makes sense!

We will need to rent for the first year until we get a feel for house prices and neighborhoods. We will need a single family home not an apartment as we need a 4 bedroom!

I have checked briefly into Harrisburg and like that it seems small town with resonable access to other areas. Can anyone tell me any more about the area or if I should be looking into another community?

We are going into this blind as neither myself or husband has been to North Carolina other than in passing and we won't know a soul once we arrive

Any help would be forever and greatly appreciated!

Thank you again for yout time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2u View Post
Hello everyone,

I first want to thank you for your time! My family is looking to relocate to eastward due to a company transfer. We originally were looking at Georgia, at least that's what they told us, so I posted to those forums and never heard back,Now we are concidering North Carolina (on our own) Im hoping that Carolinans are friendlier to newcomers!

I looked up the forums on Charlotte and was mortified at the number of listings discusing crime rate in the area. I am however, not willing to write off the state!! I began looking a little away from the city to some outlying towns. I am so far liking the posts I have found.
We are from (currently) A very small town outside of Reno, NV we moved here from the Bay area in California to escape super high prices, poorly preforming schools and major crime.

So, I am sure you can tell what I am searching for... a nice safe family friendly community, with nice schools and with in reason to shopping. My husbands work will carry him all over the area and he is resigned to a crappy comute no matter where we live! But he does not want to drive a half hour BEFORE he hits bad trafic, I hope that makes sense!

We will need to rent for the first year until we get a feel for house prices and neighborhoods. We will need a single family home not an apartment as we need a 4 bedroom!

I have checked briefly into Harrisburg and like that it seems small town with resonable access to other areas. Can anyone tell me any more about the area or if I should be looking into another community?

We are going into this blind as neither myself or husband has been to North Carolina other than in passing and we won't know a soul once we arrive

Any help would be forever and greatly appreciated!

Thank you again for yout time!

Welcome to the NC forum! If you check the stats this is THE most popular state forum

Harrisburg is a very nice little rural community. It is located in Cabarrus County which has a smallish school system, a good thing I think. In Charlotte our school system has grown way too large and is not as well managed as the smaller systems are. The largest city in Cabarrus County is Concord, which is not far from Harrisburg, so you'd have easy access to good shopping - you may even want to check out living there. You have zeroed in on a very nice area to move your family to

Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM

35 posts, read 144,467 times
Harrisburg is wonderful! My family and I relocated to Concord, which is the next town over. As much as I love Concord, I really love Harrisburg too. If you can get a place on the eastern side of Hwy 49 that will cut down on your speedway and dragstrip noise. Everyone here is very welcoming to newcomers. I think the majority of people, at least those that I have met, were newcomers themselves at one point in time. The school system is great. I don't have any complaints. Good luck on your decision. Living in Harrisburg you will have access to I85 and 485.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 10,399 times
Thank you for your time! We did hear today from the office in Charlotte and things seem very promising for a late Feb early March move. We hope to visit the area late this month to get a feel for where to live. I am considering the concord area as it seems there is a lot there but it's still a smaller community.. my husband is leaning toward Harrisburg so we feel a visit is in order. Where can I find listings for houses for rent?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM

35 posts, read 144,467 times
If you are planning a visit stop in one of the grocery stores and pick up some of the books when you are either entering or leaving. They are free! Harris Teeter and Lowe's usually have a good assortment. We live right by the speedway so we are close to Harrisburg, still in Concord. Stear clear of the speedway. It wasn't bad when it was just the speedway but now with the dragstrip it gets pretty loud, louder than the races. Both school districts are great. Harrisburg has a smaller town feel to it. Concord is a good size city. The downtown area is beautiful too. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:51 PM

367 posts, read 929,575 times
We live in Concord right on the edge of Harrisburg between 29 and 49. We love it here!! You can't go wrong. The speed way noise is nothing really, anywhere in Harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or