Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,554 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about building in Bonterra Village. We feel in love with the community and want to build one of the Charleston style homes (Yorktown Model). How was the experience in dealing with the builders and the time frame of completion? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,533 times
Default Bonterra

I've been in a Steel Gardens townhome since July of last year. This project is new to them as custom homes are what they do. Here are some things that we encountered.

They called us the day before closing 3 different times to tell us we wouldn't be able to close the next day.

After we moved in they came back to fix a couple of things (seal attaching the granite together on the sink, hardwood in the stairs was coming up, the water in the third level bathroom would never get warm enough no matter how long you left it on) quickly, however, they cut some corners. They come back within a year to fix some issues as a result of settling so I'll have to have them come back and do it the right way.

The cable provider (American Broadband) is horrible and many of the people here have gotten tired of it and gone to Dish or Direct.

They can't get recycling in our neighborhood and don't seem too terribly concerned about it.

They knocked down a historic building in the neighborhood before telling anyone they were going to do it after telling us it was going to stay.

I don't know much about what they're doing in South Charlotte, but just make sure you stay on top of them.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,485 times
Default Bonterra

We have lived in Bonterra Village for over a year. Our experience was great. Our builder kept us informed all the way and even pushed up our completion date because our other house sold and we had a week gap.

We did not have a problem getting anyone to come and fix little things around the house. We have called the builder on many occasions with questions and have never felt pushed off, or that he did not have time.

As for recycling, we have had it since we moved in in March 2007. The HOA is like any other we have experienced. They want to keep it looking nice, but we have never felt "invaded".

We, like others, were very disappointed with American Broadband, but had no trouble getting Dish.

As far as the neighborhood, we have children and in the first few months we lived here, we had meet more families than the entire 6 years at our previous neighborhood. People stopped us doing yard work and introduced themselves. Our kids love saying hello to everyone, and everyone has been very friendly. We had a great summer at the pool and there is always something going on.

It is a developing neighborhood, so there are going to be little inconveniences, trucks, clay... but we would not change our decision to build here.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 23,162 times
Id like to hear more about Steel Gardens in NODA, Positives, Negatives...

construction quality, customer service, etc

Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 AM

53 posts, read 233,643 times
AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!!! I have nothing but great things to say about Bonterra! My house is built by them and they did an amazing job! I wouldn't have it any other way!! They were more than willing to fix some minor things I noticed after closing, without hesitation! A+++++!!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,338 times
can you tell me if you are allowed to have a fence in your backyard for pets?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,172 times
Fences are allowed to enclose the entire back yard. The fences are specificed by the architectural control committee. You must complete a request and have it approved BEFORE you begin to build your fence. You may request an form at the following email address ccusick@cusickcompany.com

Old 12-19-2008, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,338 times
Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
Enclaves at Crismark Bonterra Builders. Terrible experience no communication told three days before closing that they would not be able to deliver and it had to wait till the following week. Called and complained which it was like so what they didn't care and new you are locked into a contract. So if your looking for new home builders I would stay away the show no empathy and they are all about the money.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
Default 2015 Note - Fixed Tax Records

I wanted to make a note for any person currently seeking information about Bonterra Village Builders, HOA, and the neighborhood in Indian Trail by Porter Ridge. I bought a townhome from Bonterra in 2005 as a new build. My family and I resided there for 5 years.

I noticed today on the Union County Tax site that Union County "fixed" the tax records 01/01/2015. The townhome we lived in no longer shows the price for which we bought it in 2005, or the foreclosure in 2010. Instead after "reevaluation" Union County fixed the records for Bonterra. They even replaced the pictures of the home to a picture taken in 2005 which shows construction workers. In reality, in 2010, this home was 25K underwater due to recession and inflated home values. After foreclosure, the home sat for 2 years empty and finally was bought by the HOA for $0. Less than $1500.00 was "due" in HOA fees so I am not sure how this was managed. I know many other homes in the neighborhood also had the same issues with underwater, foreclosure and sitting empty.

During the 5 years we resided there, the HOA fee was changed 3 times and was excessive IMHO. There we many promises and nothing delivered. The HOA changed hands 3 times in 5 years. Year 1: Property Mgt company "lost" the all the HOA fees that had been paid. New property management company. Year 2&3: HOA fees are raised and Bonterra decides the HOA needs a resident board. Two full time associates of the builder's parent compnay are placed in HOA board positions, including president. Year 4: New property management company is brought on. HOA fees raised (doubled) for townhome owners only.

I was very active in the neighborhood, served on a town council, and I enjoyed the location and amenities. The politics and the HOA structure was very bad. Old boy network and underhanded deals out there in Union County. Communistic in HOA approach. Everytime a neighbor spoke of our "potential gated community' I cringed.

My child got a good education and I can not complain about our homes construction, though the construction around me was difficult to take at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte