U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-03-2008, 07:42 AM

236 posts, read 489,373 times
I wasn't attacking you man. It's just a strange concept to me.
But hey, obviously you're a little different than me...and that's fine.
Cause I wouldn't spend a couple thousand on a dog to begin with. I love my $150 boxer.
Anyway....I guess you plan on changing out the sod everyday, so I suggest you buy a pallet at a time.

Super-Sod Of Charlotte
12600 Downs Cir
Pineville, NC 28134
(704) 525-8873

City Turf
(704) 888-1117

Super Sod is in Pineville. A pallet of fescue runs around $170.

City Turf is up near Concord. You can get a pallet for about $125 if you ask for the discount rate.

Each pallet covers about 550-600 sq ft. Each strip of sod is about 9'x2.5'

So if your kennel is 144 sq ft (18x8)...you can cover it about 4 times/per pallet.
Like I said, I'm assuming you're gonna throw the "soiled" strips of sod away daily. And since a puppy "soils" multiple times a day, you're looking to go thru about 10 pallets of sod a week, for the next 2-3 months.

10 pallets a week x $170 = $1700 a week in sod.
$1700 x 12 weeks (3 months of potty training) = $20, 400 for sod alone.

Good lord I wish I had money to waste like you, especially since times are hard right now. (I'm joking with you, don't take it personal).

Then you have to worry about keeping insects out of the sod. But you can't spray it with pesticides cause it may make your puppy sick.
Plus you have to worry about the smell of soiled grass inside your home. Plus you can't water the sod, so each piece is going to die in 2 days anyway.

Dude, this seems like a very bad idea.
Why not just buy a small crate/kennel to keep him in. Like the other poster said, if the dog can't get away from his own "soil", he won't do it.
When you get home, let him outside and say "go potty".
He'll be trained in no time. He'll still have accidents here and there, but it works.
The small kennel will run you about $50.
This will save you over 20,000 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-03-2008, 07:45 AM

also, i leave my boxer outside during the summer, spring and fall (gated backyard).
he whines during the winter cause he hates being inside.
when i come home, my blinds are all messed up cause he's had his head between them all day, looking outside..wishing he was out there

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:01 AM

46 posts, read 88,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
Good lord I wish I had money to waste like you, especially since times are hard right now.
2'x2' means - 2 feet by 2 feet, and it was recommended to change out as needed - usually every week. Do you replace the part of your yard that your dog uses every day - no... it's grass. That would be crazy! So, not that much sod is required - it wouldn't be $20k on sod.

Thanks for the recs of business that still sell sod.

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
also, i leave my boxer outside during the summer, spring and fall (gated backyard).
he whines during the winter cause he hates being inside.
when i come home, my blinds are all messed up cause he's had his head between them all day, looking outside..wishing he was out there
Again, it's more than what they like. You should google dogs that have been stolen, hurt, even killed around the US b/c of people leaving them out - even wen gated (yes, I have that too). It's a personal decision, but people are insane - whether just wanting to be "funny" and hang the dog (yep, happened - was in the paper) or stealing one that is purebred, well trained, bla bla bla. It's not something I am willing to do, but respect you and your decision.

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

2,560 posts, read 3,925,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Relax man, I think people are just curious, not meaning to give you a hard time.
Thanks NCyank

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

gotcha. but no, i wouldn't replace my yard....but that's because my yard is outside and i don't have to worry about the smell.
you ever smelled a child who has just come inside from playing in the yard for hours?
well, that's what your house is gonna smell like all day, but a little worse when you add boo boo, pee pee, natural dog odor, fleas and dead grass...

good luck tho.

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Thanks NCyank
I am at least being respectful and not telling somebody that they are wasting money. I make it a point to always fully read and understand the posts I respond to. I always put thought into my responses and take it seriously.

Misreading, then telling somebody they waste money is very disrespectful and not appreciated. I have never had this experience on this board and am upset by it.

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
gotcha. but no, i wouldn't replace my yard....but that's because my yard is outside and i don't have to worry about the smell.
you ever smelled a child who has just come inside from playing in the yard for hours?
well, that's what your house is gonna smell like all day, but a little worse when you add boo boo, pee pee, natural dog odor, fleas and dead grass...

good luck tho.

it's in a detached part of the home. think finished garage, but heated with windows.

I am done with this.

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:18 AM

that was just my opinion tho (that it seemed like a waste of money). my opinion isn't the "gospel"...it isn't the final word.

i've asked alot of questions on this board and didn't hear what i wanted to hear. but i didn't get upset because ppl are going to express their opinions regardless.

all i was saying was that it seemed a little over the top to train the dog that way.
but hey, you have the final decision

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM

1,852 posts, read 3,102,933 times
Cool idea, and I have read about it as well, dogs often look for certain surfaces and if you have the space go for it. Also, it's not that expensive and done with many types of breeds, especially for show dogs. The outside, can effect their coat, insects, weather, etc. Good luck.

As far as Sod, I think you got the right people, as you could probably keep a few pieces in your garage, pick it up once a month or so. Not sure how long it lasts when not in the ground. I am interested to know how this works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte