Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM

77 posts, read 460,031 times

Advertisements

The home prices look reasonable. Does anybody know if that is with land or not? I hesitate to e mail them direct as I am not ready to purchase a home yet. Has anyone had good experiences or bad?

Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 52,341 times
I built with schumacher homes in Ohio, do not do it. I don't know how they are there but here they are awful-nothing done correct, on time. Bad customer service and warranty department. So/so home building. Very disappointed would not recommend.
Prices do not include land, land inprovments (driveways,sewer-septic,wells grass etc). Also be prepared for additional costs besides the 3,000 safety net for additional materials?
If still want to build with them check with other people in your area who has used them and see if they are satisified, I know most of the people I have talked with after the fact are not pleased either. The house isn't bad, its getting anything done and done correctly. Be prepared for no one to contactyou when you have concerns or questions during building process.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:14 PM

77 posts, read 460,031 times
Thank you for the imput.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 51,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post
The home prices look reasonable. Does anybody know if that is with land or not? I hesitate to e mail them direct as I am not ready to purchase a home yet. Has anyone had good experiences or bad?
good company, lots of state of the the art marketing using smart boards to design your own custom floor plan. I met the family,great people who put their heart and soul into their vision. You need to own your own land and they do have lots of new offices popping up all over. A new office will be controlled by a veteran general manager, who is construction, sales and marketing experience. Best advice from a consumer, and builder standpoint is to know and understand home builder standards, created by the home builder industry in your city or state. The market is wide open with all kinds of promo,s because sales are extremely slow, the worst I have seen in my 15 years (service manager and building background with production and custom home builders). you can use this to your advantage, free finished basement, If you want to control your project and be more involved try a u-buildit. You control the financing and also have the final selection of your own sub base.they will help with financing and expert advice. If you do not own land the best way is to drive around and look at "for sale" by owner, or a good friend of mine and investor has sworn by just putting an ad in the local paper or closest mom and pop store.
good luck

Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM

549 posts, read 2,377,076 times
HI
Each location is going to be different since they use different subcontractors. Like anything with a production or custom home builder you have keep tabs on them while the home is being built. The price does not include the land.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM

298 posts, read 562,674 times
Default Schumacher

Do a search for Schumacher on the forum, there are a lot of opinions, etc., about them.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 PM

549 posts, read 2,377,076 times
I checked the Charlotte board and only found 2 threads. Perhaps they are commented more on other boards.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 52,896 times
My husband and I have not only been in the home buying predicament as most of you all have, but work in the contruction field as well. With the extra knowledge of what a house should be and what you come to feel is structurally necessary, you would think that it would be simple for us. It took many years and a lot of research of national and local builders before we decided that maybe we should custom build ourselves. In the midst of looking for land we ran across a custom homebuilder that we had not heard of, Schumacher Homes. This company has just opened locations here in North Carolina, they are based out of Canton, Ohio- and they are breath of fresh air. We took a tour of their design center where they walked us through all of their standards. We couldn't believe all that they offered for such a reasonable price. They only build on your lot, there are no subdivisions with houses set on .25 acres set six feet apart. We got to chose where we wanted to live and how!!! We had already had a house plan drawn up before we had been there and were concerned that they wouldn't build it since they have plans of their own. They couldn't, however they took one of there plans that was similair and customized it to our needs. It was great, I have never worked with such nice people, I have the dream home I've always wanted a price that won't bankrupt me, in an area I wanted, and couldn't be happier.

Also, I would like to note that even though we had a long time relationship with a lender, who we were 100% sure we would be using, we decided to go with their lender, Triad Mortgage, who were equally as great if not better than Schumacher.

*** I had wrote this is another forum, the plain and simple fact is that how can you compare anyone in Ohio to North Carolina? I know its the same company but thats like saying dealing with someone from Wachovia in Manhattan is going to be just like talking to an employee here! And even with my experience aside, if the company was that bad how would they have the funding to open up all of these new locations? The best advice I can give anyone, whether you are buying something already built or building one yourself, is to educate yourself!! In all of my years working for a homebuilder I have seen way too many people completely and uterly clueless about the process. Then those same people then expect the corporation they do business with to educated them thoroughly. It's not crazy to think that they are there to help, its just crazy to think that everyone else is there to live, breathe, and learn for you.

The best advice you can get is from trusted resourses. Ever noticed that you never see happy customer's start up "I love ______ company?"

Good luck with your search and I hope you find what you are looking for!!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 51,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post

I just tried to contract them to build a home for me in Kentucky. Be sure and check the "FRONT DOOR" price that they are so proud of. It's very deceiving!! When you receive the final option list they will have adding $3000 to the Front Door price. Also they advertise top notch standard features; this is also deceiving. Seems anything you select just happens to not be there standard option item and the extra charges add up very quickly. You jump from $145,000 front door price to a $190,000 price and you can't figure how you got there. Just be very careful and check all prices closely and view homes they have built. I think there is a lot of bait and switch going on and you can end up in trouble before you know it!!!!!!! Also their morgage company is higher than most.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,971,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhh1 View Post
My husband and I have not only been in the home buying predicament as most of you all have, but work in the contruction field as well. With the extra knowledge of what a house should be and what you come to feel is structurally necessary, you would think that it would be simple for us. It took many years and a lot of research of national and local builders before we decided that maybe we should custom build ourselves. In the midst of looking for land we ran across a custom homebuilder that we had not heard of, Schumacher Homes. This company has just opened locations here in North Carolina, they are based out of Canton, Ohio- and they are breath of fresh air. We took a tour of their design center where they walked us through all of their standards. We couldn't believe all that they offered for such a reasonable price. They only build on your lot, there are no subdivisions with houses set on .25 acres set six feet apart. We got to chose where we wanted to live and how!!! We had already had a house plan drawn up before we had been there and were concerned that they wouldn't build it since they have plans of their own. They couldn't, however they took one of there plans that was similair and customized it to our needs. It was great, I have never worked with such nice people, I have the dream home I've always wanted a price that won't bankrupt me, in an area I wanted, and couldn't be happier.

Also, I would like to note that even though we had a long time relationship with a lender, who we were 100% sure we would be using, we decided to go with their lender, Triad Mortgage, who were equally as great if not better than Schumacher.

*** I had wrote this is another forum, the plain and simple fact is that how can you compare anyone in Ohio to North Carolina? I know its the same company but thats like saying dealing with someone from Wachovia in Manhattan is going to be just like talking to an employee here! And even with my experience aside, if the company was that bad how would they have the funding to open up all of these new locations? The best advice I can give anyone, whether you are buying something already built or building one yourself, is to educate yourself!! In all of my years working for a homebuilder I have seen way too many people completely and uterly clueless about the process. Then those same people then expect the corporation they do business with to educated them thoroughly. It's not crazy to think that they are there to help, its just crazy to think that everyone else is there to live, breathe, and learn for you.

The best advice you can get is from trusted resourses. Ever noticed that you never see happy customer's start up "I love ______ company?"

Good luck with your search and I hope you find what you are looking for!!!!!

This is true. We were going to have a house built a bunch of years ago and researched like crazy. We had changed our minds and instead of a new build, we opted to look for re-sale homes, but ones that were built within the previous six years. Our real estate agent showed us a home that was perfect for us. When I asked who the builder was, she said Centex. In researching for a new build, at that time Centex had a lot of complaints in Texas and one other state, I believe it was Ohio. When I told the agent, she was shocked. She said she use to work for Centex and had purchased one of there homes eight year previously and they were very happy with Centex. We drove around the community and asked home owners what they thought of Centex, not one person had a viable complaint.
We ended up purchasing that home and lived their for three years, never had one problem. The agent had explained that Centex is one company, but they are split into regions and each region is run differently.

So, you have to take every complaint with a grain of salt.

BTW; The Centex house we had purchased was in FLorida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: