U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 PM

35,576 posts, read 43,772,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
What if the neighbor's dogs bark incessantly and all the surrounding neighbors hate the dogs and their owners..... I'm just saying...
Then you got a bigger problem than coyotes, LOL. Sounds like discourteous and uncaring neighbors . . . wh/ sure doesn't foster happiness for others around them!!!

In all seriousness, I would think if there are fences, then animals would be pretty safe but I would be very very worried about my cat and letting a dog stay outside on a porch if there are no fences. Kind of like leaving your pets to wander around canals in Florida where there are gators. One day pooch doesn't come home cause he was dinner for a gator. Not a good thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM

22,069 posts, read 40,057,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Then you got a bigger problem than coyotes, LOL. Sounds like discourteous and uncaring neighbors . . . wh/ sure doesn't foster happiness for others around them!!!

In all seriousness, I would think if there are fences, then animals would be pretty safe but I would be very very worried about my cat and letting a dog stay outside on a porch if there are no fences. Kind of like leaving your pets to wander around canals in Florida where there are gators. One day pooch doesn't come home cause he was dinner for a gator. Not a good thing.
I have witness in my past fences only slow foxes down they are not good at preventing foxes making "fluffy" a meal.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM

35,576 posts, read 43,772,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have witness in my past fences only slow foxes down they are not good at preventing foxes making "fluffy" a meal.
So true. Foxes are very agile. I meant the coyotes.

I guess you have seen what a fox can do to ducks as well as chickens. My g/mother lost some ducks as well as chickens to foxes when I was a kid. G/dad ran out w/ the shotgun one time when I was staying w/ them but the fox was fast. By the time he got to the chicken coop, all that was left were feathers - the fox had made off w/ the hen.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,320,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you are hearing coyotes, you really really need to alert your neighbors. Dogs and cats are prey and you truly need to be on your toes about the safety of your pets.
Yes, I will send an email to our neighbors. DH and I are all too familar with coyotes from living in CA. We lost our 1st cat to them and then I had to tell our neighbor that I saw a coyote with his cat in it's mouth. It is sad but we did move to their habitat and we respected that. We lived in Yorba Linda (where they just had the big fires in CA) and Chino Hills State Park was within walking distance to our neighborhood so they would come from the park. We saw them mostly in two's and three's. Nothing like opening your front door and having 3 coyote's in front of your house, trying to grab our old dog (who has no idea why I just tackled him) and screaming at DH to grab the cat so he wouldn't run outside. They just stopped and trotted by a few times, not afraid at all. We even had 2 of them follow us a little ways while we were on a walk.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,926,913 times
nascarnancy, my son lives in Wesley Chapel and has a small chicken farm. He had a small grey fox that was stalking his chickens for awhile; he even took a shot at it but only grazed it. It came back but, did not go into the yard again; was just deciding what to do out in the driveway. DS & DIL happened to come home at the right time and scared it off.

My son put up some higher barriers of chicken wire and that seemed to put an end to it. However, he also had a bobcat eat the rooster and some raccoons eat about 4 others. so, you are really in an area with some wild animals that can do some serious damage to an unsupervised pet.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:33 PM

104 posts, read 194,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
About a month ago about 6:30 PM I was locking the front door to go and visit family (who only live 5 miles away) and I heard a coyote yipping. I thought maybe it might be the neighbors small dog but I listened carefully and determined it was a coyote. When I got to bro & sis in laws house I told them and my sis n law laughed at me!

Not quite 2 weeks ago about 11 PM DH went out front to whiz the dog and he came running back in and said I had to come hear something, it was coyote's yipping again! When we told bro & sis in law on Thanksgiving day they took us more seriously. Both times the yipping was behind our neighbors house which backs up to a horse farm.

But we also have red foxes in our neighbor hood, so maybe it was them? I listened to the noises that foxes make on line and they have more of a bark than the yip/howling sound. We lived in the foot hills in So Cal for 15 years and had coyotes regularly.

Has anyone else noticed or seen anything lately?
We have them (coyotes) over here in Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw area,we hear and have seen them. Being also from southern ca. we are used to them but still wouldn't want one close to the house. We also have a red fox around but haven't seen it for a while.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
nascarnancy, my son lives in Wesley Chapel and has a small chicken farm. He had a small grey fox that was stalking his chickens for awhile; he even took a shot at it but only grazed it. It came back but, did not go into the yard again; was just deciding what to do out in the driveway. DS & DIL happened to come home at the right time and scared it off.

My son put up some higher barriers of chicken wire and that seemed to put an end to it. However, he also had a bobcat eat the rooster and some raccoons eat about 4 others. so, you are really in an area with some wild animals that can do some serious damage to an unsupervised pet.
Thank you so much for the info, much appreciated.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 PM

221 posts, read 362,543 times
Look under Damage Control Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
From N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission - Look under licensed trappers:

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 AM

I had my own personal coyote sighting yesterday. DH and I were driving around and were in Mineral Springs about a mile from old towne Waxhaw and he ran across the road in front of us.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM

753 posts, read 2,442,018 times
this thread is very timely...a couple of weeks ago, i was out with my shih tzu around 10:45 and heard a howling like a wolf from down the road...now is that how a coyote sounds? like a wolf howling? i did consider that it could be a dog in distress, but i have never heard a dog sound like that...

and, nascarnancy, i LOVE the vision of you tackling your old dog to get him out of harm's way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte