U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM

15 posts, read 39,066 times
Default Speeding Ticket Question....

Okay so my husband ( who I could really kill right now ) got a speeding ticket on the way to work yesterday morning. He got caught by a state trooper in the middle of nowhere on Hwy 150 in Rowan County. The ticket says that he was doing 74 in a 55. His court date is set for 1-9, and he has to go to court in Salisbury. What typically happens when you get caught going that much over the limit? I know the DMV site says that it's a 30 day revocation of ur liscense for doing 15 or more over but I have heard a lot of people say they will reduce the amount you were speeding and you may just have to go to a class or pay the higher insurance and court fines...any advice would really be appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Also, how much are the fines usually for speeding tickets??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,901,841 times
Speaking as someone who has had many many tickets (incl Salisbury) here is my advice.

Without a lawyer, even with a reduction, you are more than likely looking at higher insurance premiums for the next three years. You might get lucky, but the odds are you will not.

Does the ticket have an 'R' beside the 74?
This would mean the officer already reduced your husband's speed on the spot.

First of all, was your husband courteous to the officer?
No harsh words?
Did he apologize for his oversight?

If the exchange was good then you might be able to get it to 64 mph in a 55 mph and take the drivers' safety class (YAWN).
You are 'allowed' 1 ticket every 3 years (up to 9 mph over the posted limit) which will NOT effect your insurance premiums.

It's a toss up. I use lawyers for the really fast ones, and try the smaller ones myself.
But, yes, technically with no reduction, he could lose his license for 30 days, but I have never experienced that nor known anyone that has.

Court costs and fines approx $200-300

IF you want to go the lawyer route PM me, I know a great one.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 39,066 times
Thanks for the reply!! Yes he was nice to the officer and apologized. The officer did not reduce it on the spot. I figured we'd get stuck with higher insurance premuims but we can live with that I guess. Someone else that I talked to said that they may be more willing to reduce the ticket b/c he got caught out in the middle of nowhere as opposed to going that fast in the middle of the city. We can't really afford an attorney right now since we are in the process of moving so that's why i'm a little extra worried.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,190,732 times
I got a ticket a couple years ago for 80 in a 55 in CLT by a State Trooper, the court reduced it to 60/55 and I paid the fine and was done. Good luck, maybe the courts in Rowan County are lenient as well.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 AM

755 posts, read 1,615,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo7park View Post
Someone else that I talked to said that they may be more willing to reduce the ticket b/c he got caught out in the middle of nowhere as opposed to going that fast in the middle of the city. .
They may knock down the offense, but Salisbury is notorious for speeding tickets. I believe it's a major revenue source for them.

Good luck. It should all work out ok.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,476,264 times
Actually in the box for the speed, "R" stands for RADAR. Meaning his speed was clocked with RADAR. Or it can be "A", meaning his speed is based on approximation. If there is nothing, then it is safe to assume he was clocked with RADAR.

Anything 15 mph and over is considered 'careless and reckless' driving in NC, actually an arrestable offense.

If this is his first ticket, or first one in a while, you can get a certified copy of his driving record and bring it to court. The judge may be more lenient if he can see he is a safe driver.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM

494 posts, read 839,379 times
I've never seen a bigger scam in my life than the speeding ticket thing here in NC. Basically, he will get a zillion attorney offers in the mail...pay them and they can typically get it to do "go away". I recently got a ticket and I was ABSOLUTELY NOT speeding. However, after wanting "justice" for how I was treated figured out that we have a real issue here and it isn't like other states. So I paid around $200 and it got knocked out. I am still fuming about this.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,431,797 times
Quote:
Okay so my husband ( who I could really kill right now ) got a speeding ticket on the way to work yesterday morning. He got caught by a state trooper in the middle of nowhere on Hwy 150 in Rowan County. The ticket says that he was doing 74 in a 55. His court date is set for 1-9, and he has to go to court in Salisbury. What typically happens when you get caught going that much over the limit? I know the DMV site says that it's a 30 day revocation of ur liscense for doing 15 or more over but I have heard a lot of people say they will reduce the amount you were speeding and you may just have to go to a class or pay the higher insurance and court fines...any advice would really be appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Also, how much are the fines usually for speeding tickets??
If it is like the poster above stated and she/he paid $200.00 to make it go away (a lawyer) sounds to me like the lawyer would be the way to go. That isn't much to pay a lawyer...in the long run you're going to pay a lot more if it goes on his record. Sounds like simple math to me (and I'm horrible in math by the way).

Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,797,855 times
Just FYI on this topic (specifically, the "R" and "A" talk)...

Not sure if it's a Charlotte ordinance or a NC state law, but CMPD officers technically only use radar, pacing, timing, etc. to verify their initial assumption of "speeding." The offense is actually based upon the officer's opinion/statement that you were speeding. Radar and other means are used only to solidify the statement.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM

221 posts, read 350,672 times
It sounds to me like you can't afford not to hire an attorney!! Like the other posters said, this thing will hit you hard if it's not reduced!

Quote:
We can't really afford an attorney right now since we are in the process of moving so that's why i'm a little extra worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte