U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,142 posts, read 3,616,942 times

Advertisements

To those transplanted people who moved to NC, from NY, NJ, CT., I ask: What are the true differences in the attitudes of people, between both regions?

I am not talking about formalities, and niceties, but things beneath the surface.

I must say that I was tremendously surprised last week, at the good manners of the people I spoke with, as I completed a minor transaction.

But I wondered: Is there substance beneath the surface? In no way am I suggesting that there isn't; I am simply wondering if it's so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 AM

699 posts, read 2,338,745 times
Character traits like sincerity can't be determined by a certain region of the country. It depends on the person...two people might say the same thing to you, one means it and one doesn't. It doesn't matter where they were born.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Agreed. But New Yorkers have a tendency of wearing their feelings on their sleeves'. In other words, in the New York dictum, while a New Yorker might not be rude towards someone they don't care for, they won't feign a sense of politeness, because cultural dictates say that they should.

Likewise, as a whole, people are either 'cold or hot,' in their faith. The culture here doesn't demand a sense of religiousity. In one way it's bad, because certain circles can actually be hostile towards Judeo/Christian beliefs. Yet in another way it's good, for, aside from those who are deluded, people who claim their faith, are usually just that.

Same with patriotism; one one hand, there's an almost prevailing culture that rejects the notion of the Nation/State. Yet those who walk with the appearance of being patriotic, more often than not, love their Country.

Having had a fascination with the different attitudes and cultures of various peoples, came the question: What's it like down South?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,955 times
Your attitude toward that person will be a huge factor in my opinion. If you come across as a raving lunatic or a cocky SOB, they may be nice to your face but rip you apart the second you leave. If you treat them with respect and treat them as an equal chances are that they will be sincere and mean it. Especially when it comes to business, I always say "Treat others the way you would like to be treated." You follow that guideline and chances are things will work out.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 AM

72 posts, read 274,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
To those transplanted people who moved to NC, from NY, NJ, CT., I ask: What are the true differences in the attitudes of people, between both regions?

I am not talking about formalities, and niceties, but things beneath the surface.

I must say that I was tremendously surprised last week, at the good manners of the people I spoke with, as I completed a minor transaction.

But I wondered: Is there substance beneath the surface? In no way am I suggesting that there isn't; I am simply wondering if it's so.
Having grown up in MA and having gone to college in Southwest MO, with mostly southerners, it is clear to me that the differences are more formal and surface than anything else. People are people and we have different regional loyalties that we like to think means something huge, but in reality we are all a part of the same modern American culture. The real divide is in belief not geography. Conservative vs. Liberal. Religious vs. secular. The Religious conservative in Boston is going to have much more in common with the religious conservative in Charlotte than he is his non-religious liberal next-door neighbor.

But I do think more sunshine means people who are generally happier.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Old 02-27-2007, 12:02 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,151,316 times
Could it also be related to the size of the city?

I notice a huge difference between Charlotte and Los Angeles in terms of people genuinely wanting to get to know you. In LA people talked to other people (strangers) all the time, but there wasn't really a sense of wanting to get to know you and be true friends unless you were in a social setting that warranted the opportunity (church, social group, etc...)

Here I notice that even at a park, moms will strike up conversations and all of a sudden are exchanging phone numbers and planning play dates together.

It kind of freaked me out when I first moved here!

Dawn

Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Your attitude toward that person will be a huge factor in my opinion. If you come across as a raving lunatic or a cocky SOB, they may be nice to your face but rip you apart the second you leave. If you treat them with respect and treat them as an equal chances are that they will be sincere and mean it. Especially when it comes to business, I always say "Treat others the way you would like to be treated." You follow that guideline and chances are things will work out.
I couldn't agree more.

But here's what I am driving at:

The majority of people relocate to the South, to escape the pressures of the Northeastern lifestyle - namely the frantic pace and high cost of living. Yet there is a significant minority, who's interested in the South, for what they hope are ideological differences. For traditionally, more so than anything else, the South stood for limited government and for religious principals and freedoms.

Yet, while it varies widely by community, in certain circles, only a genuine believer would dare voice their beliefs, for the criticism that would come upon him or her. Likewise, although there are pockets of nationalism, among those in academia, come the feeling that the idea of the traditional nation/state, are outmoded. Therefore, in certain pockets, if you see a person tauting love of Country, chances are, that that person is the real deal.

In other words, the hostility of certain communities up here, ferrets out, to a large degree, the 'fair weather lukewarm fans' of both Christianity, and Country - making discernment easier.

Are Southerners of today, largely lukewarm? Is their perceived religiousity the real thing, or are people acting out, to conform to cultural dictates? For all I've heard about the Civil War, is the belief in limited government still the ideal? Or is the concept a matter of perceived cultural identity?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Dave & Dawn, thanks for your replies (which I hadn't seen, before posting my reply to neoflex).

Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,151,316 times
Ah, well, this is a whole different question than your initial question.

I don't really know about the limited governement....but I can tell you that I get jumped on immediately when I say the dirty *U* word (Union!) I also have had a Bible waved in my face by a well meaning soul who decided that his tyraid against liberals was biblically warranted. I didnt' even defend anything, I mearly commented with a "C, that was a very strong statement against that Democrat. I am surprized that you would be so adament." WHOA! You would have thought I was saying I was going to vote for Hillary herself......he got VERY upset.

Part of the Civil War remnants involve finances. In reading about the "New South" I am reading that times they are a changin' and the New South has brought in business and resources that are not only making it more finacially stable, but are bringing in people from all over the country, making the South lose much of its "Southern-ness."

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I couldn't agree more.

But here's what I am driving at:

The majority of people relocate to the South, to escape the pressures of the Northeastern lifestyle - namely the frantic pace and high cost of living. Yet there is a significant minority, who's interested in the South, for what they hope are ideological differences. For traditionally, more so than anything else, the South stood for limited government and for religious principals and freedoms.

Yet, while it varies widely by community, in certain circles, only a genuine believer would dare voice their beliefs, for the criticism that would come upon him or her. Likewise, although there are pockets of nationalism, among those in academia, come the feeling that the idea of the traditional nation/state, are outmoded. Therefore, in certain pockets, if you see a person tauting love of Country, chances are, that that person is the real deal.

In other words, the hostility of certain communities up here, ferrets out, to a large degree, the 'fair weather lukewarm fans' of both Christianity, and Country - making discernment easier.

Are Southerners of today, largely lukewarm? Is their perceived religiousity the real thing, or are people acting out, to conform to cultural dictates? For all I've heard about the Civil War, is the belief in limited government still the ideal? Or is the concept a matter of perceived cultural identity?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,784,418 times
Default Positive outlook

Although you will find all types of people no matter where you go, I have noticed a general difference about having a positive outlook on life.

Here in Northern Virginia, people like to whine. Being jaded and pessimistic is a sign you are "smart" or "cool", being optimistic is dismissed as naivete. The weathermen are great examples--no matter what weather we have they find a reason to complain. If, by chance we happen to have perfect weather, they focus on how awful it will be tomorrow, or that winter's just around the corner. Also, snarky insults are the rule--people don't say such things to be hurtful, they do it to look "smart."

In Western North Carolina, I noticed people did NOT like to complain, even when they had something worth griping about. Snarky comments are offensive, and in fact make you look "stupid" (and boorish). In NC, it is "smart" to know how to say things politely. Havnig a positive outlook is normal, not naive. The weathermen frequently start the day by saying "it's another beautiful day in paradise" and they are being sincere, not ironic.

I am personally more comfortable with a positive outlook, which is one of the reasons I'm moving to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or