Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:02 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. My house was built in the early 60's and so were most of the homes in my neighborhood but there is new construction within a 1/2 mile so I know the deer habitat is declining. I am just amazed at the number and frequency of deer I have seen this year. Thanks Mullman for the answer to that!

I hate to think of the deer being culled. I don't want them to starve but I do have that image of 'Bambi' in my head. I know, I know..... but I can't help it... I personally could never shoot a deer or a squirrel or a chipmunk, etc. I do know the deer can cause alot of damage if you hit one with your car! I am more aware now as I drive to be on the lookout for deer - the other morning a doe and a fawn ran right in front of me about 10 a.m. Hope everyone is watching out as they drive!
Like Ani, Bambi was the 1st movie that I saw in a movie theater.

The rabbits mowing down the vegetables & flowers that I tried to grow got Thumper out of my head & it's stories like this Buck Crashes the Party at QVC | NBC Philadelphia that start turning your mind away from Bambi. It gets worse when there have been at least a couple of years of drought. The deer are hungry & gardens & shrubs start looking good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
WHERE ARE MY DEER!!!!!!!!!!! I moved to the country because I love wildlife. I had several herds of deer on my property in NJ everyday. We would have to wait for them to get our of our driveway every morning so we could go to work. Almost everyday was a near miss while driving on the streets. They were everywhere and I loved it!! We even had bear and lots of turkey, fox and coyote and tons of different birds. I have only seen one deer down here and it was dead. I have put out bird feeders...nothing unless you want to count mosquitoes . I don't understand, where is the wildlife out here in Lincoln County? I hardly even see squirrel or rabbits (except the one I ran over the other day and I didn't see him until it was too late . )

Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
WHERE ARE MY DEER!!!!!!!!!!! I moved to the country because I love wildlife. I had several herds of deer on my property in NJ everyday. We would have to wait for them to get our of our driveway every morning so we could go to work. Almost everyday was a near miss while driving on the streets. They were everywhere and I loved it!! We even had bear and lots of turkey, fox and coyote and tons of different birds. I have only seen one deer down here and it was dead. I have put out bird feeders...nothing unless you want to count mosquitoes . I don't understand, where is the wildlife out here in Lincoln County? I hardly even see squirrel or rabbits (except the one I ran over the other day and I didn't see him until it was too late . )
That is really odd, LOL. Well, I am wondering what impact new development has had on wildlife - maybe the deer have relocated? Or maybe there is enuff undeveloped land that they don't come around the newer areas.

We have all sorts of wildlife where I am. We even have opossum and raccoon, plus the deer. No turkeys . . . but I understand there are turkey in areas of SC . . . We have so many bunnies and squirrels - our Red Shouldered Hawk stays well fed, LOL.

I would suspect there are plenty of deer in Lincoln Co - just out in broad stretches of woods away from your subdivision.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is really odd, LOL. Well, I am wondering what impact new development has had on wildlife - maybe the deer have relocated? Or maybe there is enuff undeveloped land that they don't come around the newer areas.

We have all sorts of wildlife where I am. We even have opossum and raccoon, plus the deer. No turkeys . . . but I understand there are turkey in areas of SC . . . We have so many bunnies and squirrels - our Red Shouldered Hawk stays well fed, LOL.

I would suspect there are plenty of deer in Lincoln Co - just out in broad stretches of woods away from your subdivision.
You are probably right Ani. I miss my little friends and the sights and sounds that come along with having wildlife all around.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
You are probably right Ani. I miss my little friends and the sights and sounds that come along with having wildlife all around.
I know what you mean! I get so much enjoyment from the wildlife around our house.

I worked to attract wildlife here and started here w/ my project:

It's So Easy to Garden for Wildlife - National Wildlife Federation

After two years, I got my backyard certified as a wildlife habitat, LOL. This can be something the whole family can work on. Start w/ that link and look around the website - see what you can start planning w/ the kids so that you all can work at attracting wildlife!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I know what you mean! I get so much enjoyment from the wildlife around our house.

I worked to attract wildlife here and started here w/ my project:

It's So Easy to Garden for Wildlife - National Wildlife Federation

After two years, I got my backyard certified as a wildlife habitat, LOL. This can be something the whole family can work on. Start w/ that link and look around the website - see what you can start planning w/ the kids so that you all can work at attracting wildlife!
LOL, Thanks Ani. I am going to look at the website now. I can't wait to get started. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll send you a picture of my first deer .

Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
LOL, Thanks Ani. I am going to look at the website now. I can't wait to get started. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll send you a picture of my first deer .
You go, SSD!!! I seem to never have the camera at my fingertips when the deer are around. One of these days, I will catch 'em grazing!

I thought you and your kids might enjoy creating a habitat - a really nice activity when you have moved into a new home, especially.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,175,639 times
DH has seen deer behind his office in Coronation Park on N. Sardis several times.

When I lived in the Poconos I often had herds of deer in my yard daily (yes, I fed them)... I miss them terribly.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:24 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I took these last winter (gotta look close, but there are four of them back there. Lol), we have them in our backyard a lot!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 PM

223 posts, read 537,810 times
There are deer and turkey in Mecklenburg County...there are coyotes in every COUNTY in the United States!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte