Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times

Advertisements

Open a QDoba in Uptown on Cedar Street, where the Quiznos just closed.. PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
I would totally dig an Outback in Blakeney. The nearest one is too far away. I like their coconut shrimp and love doing carry out from there when my husband is out of town and I am on my own.

Or a Baja Fresh!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I would totally dig an Outback in Blakeney. The nearest one is too far away. I like their coconut shrimp and love doing carry out from there when my husband is out of town and I am on my own.

Or a Baja Fresh!
I caught myself saying the same thing. God, how spoiled have we become...we actually have to drive an extra 10 minutes to Pineville.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:39 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
ahh the bloomin onion our favorite

I do think though the outback's are corporately owned but I could be wrong...

Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Here's an up-to-date list of tennants signed for Blakeny Crossing: Blakeney Crossing (http://www.crosland.com/retail/properties/blakeney_crossing/ - broken link)

Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
Sorry, but I must say, Monty's and Ballantyne Bean and Bakery have failed in that location b/c no one knew they were there. Ballantyne jewelers, and a few other places have closed up in there. Location is the most important consideration when planning any business and I really don't think that location is going to do it. Blakeney is a much better choice but I would still think about it and then rethink it again in this economy. Unless you have a good savings b/f you open to use for advertising, slow periods, etc., you need to think twice.

The second most important consider is a financial back up for 3 to 5 years. Once you commit to opening, regardless of whether you succeed or not, you will be personally responsible for the lease and usually restoring the place back to the original space, meaning you have to remove the equipment and repair anything (like the roof where the hood was) you may have damaged or changed which can be very costly. Most landlords require it. Equipment is like a car, the minute you use it, it depreciates. Besides foodservice is a very hard business with probably a 50% success rate. Charlotte is very competitive. Why would you want to complicate your life? Unless you grew up in a family where foodservice was the way of life? Twelve to fourteen hour days. When you shut the door, you're not done for the day. There's ordering, sheduling, cleaning what undependable employees didn't. I'm not trying to be a downer but these are questions you need to ask yourself. IMHO

I have to say it b/c I am watching a friend go through this and it can be disaster and there is no turning back if you make a mistake.
Very good informational post. One of the knocks against Charlotte in the eyes of many transplants is the fact that we lack many mom-and-pop restaurants and tend to cater to well known national chains. Well, truth is, national chains are national chains for a reason, and mom-and-pops are mom-and-pops for a reason; it's called, funding, success and business IQ. It's not the 1950's anymore. The restaurant business profit is marginal at best, especially for understaffed, underfunded attempts that represent most independent ventures. The same could really be said for any retail opportunity. So, while others see blandness when a new chain restaurant is opened, I see security and staying power. A new Outback today, will more than likely be a 1 year old Outback next year. A new Rusty's Steak House (or whatever) will more than likely be on it's third tennant this time next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte