Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Okay - this is strange. If anyone finds a link, please post.

Appears the State of Illinois is stopping all business w/ BofA due to their accepting "bail out" funds.

???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
If that's true then they need to boycott all American cars etc.

And everything else that accepted a form of bailout.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
I couldn't find anything about the State of Illinois boycotting BoA but the story you saw may have to do with this.

Laid-off workers occupy Chicago factory, seek pay

Quote:
Workers belonging to the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers union began their peaceful occupation of the plant on Friday after family-owned Republic Windows & Doors said it was closing after Bank of America canceled its line of credit.

The workers said Republic Windows & Doors gave them only three days notice of Friday's closing instead of the 60 days required by law, and owes them roughly $3,500 per worker including unused vacation pay.

A union spokeswoman said Bank of America is not letting the company pay the workers.

"We're just shocked that Bank of America, after receiving $25 billion in bailout money, not only do they refuse to extend credit to companies but, to add insult to injury, they don't allow these companies to fulfill their legal obligations to their workers," union spokeswoman Leah Fried said.
ETA: Another story I found Workers at Republic Windows continue sit-in after company closes

Quote:
The company told employees Tuesday that its main lender, Bank of America, had canceled its line of credit because of a severe downturn in business at the plant....

Bank of America said in a statement that it isn't responsible for Republic's financial obligations to its employees.

The union said company officials didn't show up for a meeting Friday, but the two sides are scheduled to meet 4 p.m. Monday to negotiate, workers said.

Last edited by NCgirl; 12-08-2008 at 09:58 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I couldn't find anything about the State of Illinois boycotting BoA but the story you saw may have to do with this.

Laid-off workers occupy Chicago factory, seek pay

I can buy that more than I can buy a story about a BofA boycott due to taking bail out money. They didn't even want to take it, but had to in order to not narrow down who needed it and who didn't.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Fox just had The Gov. on and they also said the whole state is boycotting BofA until they resolve the credit freeze for the factory.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well, I thought that was a quote by the Gov of Il - that BofA has accepted "bail out' money yet the average guy on the street was not benefitting - the taxpayers whose money BofA had accepted . . . so it makes sense it has to do w/ the Gov reacting to those laid off factory workers . . .

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Gov. Rod Blagojevich said this morning the state of Illinois "will suspend doing any business with Bank of America" until the company restores credit to the shuttered Republic Windows & Doors company on the North Side.

The governor said the state has "hundreds of millions of dollars" in dealings with the bank.

Governor pressures bank in worker sit-in - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/plant-sit-in-in-4th-day-meeting-scheduled.html - broken link)

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
i just saw a story on News 14 that the United Electrical Workers Union is protesting in uptown today. How long until the national media shows up?

Protesters heads to Bank of America

Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Company didn't pay the severance pay for 60 days that the workers were entitled. The entitlement was from a private company, not Bank of America. Looks like another strong union company gone awry. Why not pass the buck?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,219 times
That's why the bailout shouldn't have happened. The banks were careless with their own money in the first place and should have got slapped for it but didn't. Instead they get money. So this time around they decide they should be careful with it and now people are protesting that.

If the government wanted to decide who should get loans and who shouldn't then why did they bother giving BOA (or any bank money). Why not take the bailout money and start The US Congress Bank and do it themselves? I really don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte