Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,540,113 times

Advertisements

CMS cuts graduation requirements - * Home Page Mapping | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/405350.html - broken link)

I worry we aren't really doing anybody any favors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,995,090 times
Not at all, Loves. Just making the generations dumber...

My son has a Korean foreign exchange student living with him for this school year. She says that in Korea, she goes to school from 8am to 10pm., 6 days a week. Here, she is going to a charter school and after her American classes, she then does Korean schoolwork sent to her from her family. In addition to that, she is studying piano & flute with my DIL. She is not the slightest bit stressed doing all of that....and, she is a lot smarter than almost any other 16 year old that I know!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM

72 posts, read 219,812 times
Yeah, I saw that in the paper. I like the idea of giving students more freedom their senior year, and I think it'll probably improve the electives students do end up taking, since there won't be as many students who are only in the courses to fulfill the requirement.

But I wonder what the likelihood is that students will actually take advantage of it. If students are required to take 4 fewer classes, what happens with that time? Are they required to still fill it with something, or can they "underload" like in college? I also hope the district provides enough affordable, interesting, and applicable opportunities for these internships and "other options" (or "study abroad"... really?).

Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,328,328 times
So a full load is 8 credits per year and after 4 years you graduate with 32 credits... right?

So now a full load will get you enough credits (24) to graduate after only 3 years.

Are they just hoping that a fair number of students will choose to get out after 3 years which will lower the overall
number of students in the system and lower total expenses as well as cost per student?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,731,907 times
Since it is just electives, I don't think it's a big deal. Most highschoolers are going to benefit more from working, doing an internship, etc. than from taking electives that are usually chosen based on how easy they are. The students that are "over achievers" will still take the foreign language electives or other electives. The other ones would just be taking goofy stuff like art anyways, so I don't think it's a big deal. Also, in my case, foreign language in high school was useless because they didn't have the languages I was interested in. When I think back to what I learned in high school, there is no way it should have taken 3 1/2 years (I graduated early). If you took away the mandatory study halls, and blow-off classes like pottery that only hurt my GPA, and phys ed which was a joke, I could've been out in less than 3 years and would have preferred it that way.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 AM

223 posts, read 537,349 times
Charlotte Mecklenburg has been dumbing down the curriculum, etc. since the early 70s if not earlier!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,995,090 times
I hope that foreign languages aren't electives!!

Aren't they mandatory?? Depending upon your chosen vocation, the language should be mandatory!!

That was the way that it was when I went to school...(and, I graduated fluent in Spanish)....although I lost it when I moved south and did not use it for 20+ years.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:44 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,048,618 times
Instead of lowering the number of credits required they could have just decided to award credits for kids who do work-study programs, internships or study abroad. Wouldn't that have been the better way to go rather than lower the standard for everyone?

It's pretty dumb to eliminate the foreign language credits as most colleges require it.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:56 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,731,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I hope that foreign languages aren't electives!!

Aren't they mandatory?? Depending upon your chosen vocation, the language should be mandatory!!

That was the way that it was when I went to school...(and, I graduated fluent in Spanish)....although I lost it when I moved south and did not use it for 20+ years.
They are electives, however many colleges will require you to have them.

That's the thing, I think they should only be mandatory depending on your chosen vocation. And how many high schoolers know their chosen vocation? Highschools need to focus on actually teaching proper English to these kids before they work on other languages, lol.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,048,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
They are electives, however many colleges will require you to have them.

That's the thing, I think they should only be mandatory depending on your chosen vocation. And how many high schoolers know their chosen vocation? Highschools need to focus on actually teaching proper English to these kids before they work on other languages, lol.
I think 2 yrs of foreign language was a requirement (the 'elective' part was in choosing which foreign language) for graduation because it is a requirement for college, regardless of major. I thought it was a state requirement though...???

I do agree that we need to focus more on basic English as well (not that I claim to be an expert from the obvious number of grammatical and punctuation errors that you will find in my posts....LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: