Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 06:49 AM

51 posts, read 167,341 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I could really use some help/advice.

My boyfriend took in a stray siamese cat a few weeks ago that was wandering around his work since it was getting so cold out. His boss said he would adopt the cat after his wife gives birth in the next month or so. Well now we believe he is backing out and we don't know what to do. We have two dogs and live in a apartment so we are unable to keep her. She is a siamese and is just the sweetest loving cat I have ever met! We believe she is pregnant and are just lost for what to do.

Does anyone know of any place that can take her and help her get the care she needs during this time? (We have an appointment to take her to the vet but she will need birthing care).

Does anyone know anyone looking for a pet? Mrs Bigglesworth (what the bf has affectionately named her) is honestly the friendliest cat. She loves to be pet and just snuggle right up with you. We have introduced the dogs to her to see how she would do and she does just great with them. She especially has taken a liking to my yorkie who is about her size

I hope I am not coming off cruel. If I didn't have the two pet limit at my apartment I would keep her in a heartbeat. She really is so sweet and we want only the best for her.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:51 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Go to Petsmart or Petco and get the list of Pet Rescues. I'm praying someone will be able to help you. Good luck and keep us posted. I know others on here will give great info as well. Kudos to you for helping her in the first place..xoxoxo

Old 12-10-2008, 06:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Awwwww . . . thank you for being such a good person and taking Mrs. Bigglesworth in! Himain gave you the only info I know of . . . but if I think of any other suggestions, I will post. Plus I will ask around. Just took in a rescue myself . . . and it breaks my heart to know how many wonderful, loving, sweet-natured pets are not going to make it b/c no one will adopt them.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,171 times
Start an email chain out to friends and family too explaining the situation and asking them to forward it to others. I have a friend that does this since she can never say no to taking one in. It's worked every time for her.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times
I am a volunteer with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control department (the animal shelter). If you want to send me more details via DM, please do so. I can pass your information along to the volunteer coordinator and get Mrs. Bigglesworth's information out to the broader volunteer community. Please be sure to include a picture!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 AM

51 posts, read 167,341 times
Thanks everyone! I also posted on craigslist about it and have received an overwhelming response of support and rescues to contact. Don't worry I am not just going to just give her up to anyone off craigslist.. I know better Ctribucher- I don't have a picture yet but will be sure to get one and send you the details. Thank you again for all the support!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM

143 posts, read 537,708 times
It makes me happy that there are people out there like yourself willing to do this for an innocent animal and her babies. I hope you find a good home for her!!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Cats are pretty invisible in apartments. I have two cats, two dogs, and they do really well. As long as she's pretty clean, I'd say make her a bed in your utility room/washer dryer area if you have one and say hello to a new member of the family. (depending on how attached you are)

But I'm a huge softie and my animals always come first.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,826 times
Try calling the 4 Seasons Cat Hospital in Charlotte... they may know of families willing to foster the mother and kittens or be able to point you in the direction of a no-kill shelter that may have space.

The first thing you are going to want to find out is if the mother is healthy. If she is FIV (feline aids) or FELV (feline leukemia) positive, it is going to limit your options as many shelters will not care for cats with these medical conditions ... in which case you will need to look at smaller grass roots rescue groups.

Whatever you do... don't post ads "Free to a good home" animal testing lab reps have been known to pose as potential owners to "collect" test subjects.

Keep in touch and best of luck.

Dame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte