U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM

103 posts, read 312,980 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We moved to Charlotte from Europe and are buying our first Christmas Tree this year.

Do you know where to buy them and how much they are?

Also, are there any trees with balls available that you can plant in your yard after the holidays?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM

22,003 posts, read 39,544,767 times
North Carolina Christmas Tree Association

Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM

103 posts, read 312,980 times
Thank you, SunnyKayak. But I don't want to drive all the way to Boone. Is there a tree nursery in Charlotte, too?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 AM

199 posts, read 684,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lividsun View Post
Do you know where to buy them and how much they are?
We bought ours from Lowe's (a home improvement chain) for $30. They cut the tree trunk (so that the tree can get water) and removed some of the lower branches so all we had to do is put it up.

I don't know about Christmas trees w/ roots.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,072 times
Default I am so happy to hear that you are looking for a real tree!

I am so happy to hear that you are looking for a real Christmas tree! Let's all stay away drom the plastic ones!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM

171 posts, read 91,875 times
A full grown tree at Home Depot, Lowes costs over $100-150 dollars. You get it for $30 because it's a throwaway christmas tree, as disposable as a used syringe.The nursery may pull one out for you on a slow day, but i wouldnt know either way.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 PM

7,430 posts, read 6,588,768 times
There will Christmas Tree lots, set up throughout town where you can purchase a tree. You will them starting to set up about mid November. You can buy the ones with roots in tact they are a bit expensive. To plant the ones with roots, they take a tremendous amount of work. Water and treating them for insects etc...

Personally, I would recommend visiting the mountains to pick a tree as there is no experience like it.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,892,796 times
The Douglas Fir trees which are grown in the NC mountains and which will be 95% of the trees sold on the local tree lots, don't do well in the summer heat down here in Charlotte. There are a few tree lots that will have trees with balls when the xmas tree lots open in Nov. (usually around Thanksgiving) but it is going to be tough going to get this tree to grow here. If we have a very hot summer under drought conditions, it will probably die.

Prior to the farmed trees showing up here, it was common for the cedar tree to be used as a Christmas tree. This tree is native to the Charlotte area and does quite well in this climate. The native cedars look much like a Leyland cyprus but grow much slower and are prettier IMO. Unfortunately though it is a native tree, they are very hard to find in a cultivated state where they can be transplanted. This would be however what I would choose to plant.

On the earlier comment about whether a live tree is better than an artifical tree for the ecology I am not so sure about that. Most of the modern tree farms in NC consist of a mountain slope that has been cleared of all vegetation and planted with a single species. It isn't particularly good to look at and spoil the mountain views. Then there is this whole thing of all the fuel needed to haul these trees down the mountains for a single use.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 PM

201 posts, read 434,427 times
Every year, we have purchased our trees from Simpson Tree lot on Kings Dr (corner of Kings Dr. and Moorehead), and also a smaller lot on Randolph road, right down from Cotswold shopping center.

Each lot has beautiful trees that did quiet well, and smelled so nice!

No matter where you get your tree, from a fresh cut one to one from a tree lot, you have to make sure it's watered on a regular basis.

Some people say that drilling a hold in the bottom helps retain the water--usually the tree lot guys will be happy to do that for you. We've done that in the past, and been pleased. Also, it's been much easier to simple place the tree in the stand and not have to worry about screwing it into the stand.

Oh, and this may sound simple, but something I tend to forget--measure! We put our tree in different rooms, and not all have the same height. It's much easier to measure now rather than trim later.

Prices on tress in lots have ranged from $35 and up. It depends on what size you are looking for.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM

239 posts, read 490,703 times
Smile trees

I always buy mine from the people who sell Xmas Trees just in front of the Panera Bread in Ballantyne. Their trees and lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte