Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:25 PM

54 posts, read 226,446 times

Advertisements

LIke everyone else has been saying, I do agree that there is nothing nice about the University area and between it and uptown. I haven't had any specific problems, but I will tell you that I get nervous living here.. which should never be, IMO!! I think it's going downhill by the day.. Try to find something in uptown perhaps. Go to apartment complexes and ASK people you see walking by how they like living there. That is the most real opinion you will get.. the leasing agent will only tell you good things and we know leasing agents are liars =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnieD27 View Post
LIke everyone else has been saying, I do agree that there is nothing nice about the University area and between it and uptown. I haven't had any specific problems, but I will tell you that I get nervous living here.. which should never be, IMO!! I think it's going downhill by the day.. Try to find something in uptown perhaps. Go to apartment complexes and ASK people you see walking by how they like living there. That is the most real opinion you will get.. the leasing agent will only tell you good things and we know leasing agents are liars =]
For $700 a month, you will find nothing uptown, be even hard to find that for renting a room with with someone.

And nothing nice about the University area? Thats a generalization. People consider the University area all the to 77(northlake mall). Check out Addison Park, Bexley, Mallard Creek, etc. I would avoid the area directly around the university as its general more students and is higher crime.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt03445 View Post
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my question. Especially the person that said "Pick one or the other...". I guess I will just stick to looking in the University area. I found another brand new complex called "Phillips at University Center" that I am going to take a look at. These boards have really helped me alot.

Thanks Again
There is a pretty nice apartment complex called wexford. It is close to Concord Mills. Anything on Mallard Creek Rd is nice. Dont't get that confused with Mallard Creek Church though

Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Is there a specific reason why you want to live near University area if you are working south of the city? Why spend an extra 30-45 minutes in the car each way to work?

I would suggest renting south of the city to be closer to work and I personally like that area better.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Probably because of rent. There's nothing within a good few miles of a radius that are in that range...nothing safe, that is.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:00 PM

54 posts, read 226,446 times
Yes people consider the University area all the way to Northlake mall.. and I don't find anything nice about the Northlake mall or that area, there's been too many bad stories I've heard.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:39 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
Quote:
Yes people consider the University area all the way to Northlake mall.. and I don't find anything nice about the Northlake mall or that area, there's been too many bad stories I've heard.
That's a shame. The area is nice. The mall is a mall. Punk kids that hang around for social status and the occasional petty crime int eh stores and parking lots. It goes with any mall...even Southpark. It does not bleed off to the surrounding areas though.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM

33 posts, read 101,699 times
I was considering that area because I hear that it is very diverse and a good area for young professionals. I also know that the commute to Uptown is pretty reasonable. I have found that there are many reasonably priced, relatively new, apartment complexes in that area. I know that the area south of the city is really nice, but I have gotten the idea that some areas are either "snobby" or "family-ish". I just want to be in a "melting pot" area and cannot afford uptown.

Thanks to you all!!! Happy New Year as well!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
NothLake Mall is not in the University City area...but 6-7 miles West. It is even West of I-77 in the NorthLake area...but not considered University City by any means. NothLake is a totally fine area. Any mall is gonna have car break ins & shop lifting (even SouthPark & Carolina Place)...but the NorthLake area is just fine.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt03445 View Post
I was considering that area because I hear that it is very diverse and a good area for young professionals. I also know that the commute to Uptown is pretty reasonable. I have found that there are many reasonably priced, relatively new, apartment complexes in that area. I know that the area south of the city is really nice, but I have gotten the idea that some areas are either "snobby" or "family-ish". I just want to be in a "melting pot" area and cannot afford uptown.

Thanks to you all!!! Happy New Year as well!
Check out the Steele Creek area. It's diverse and close to uptown. There is a newer complex called Magnolia Station. It has one bedroom apts. for under $700.

This is very close to the Rivergate Shopping center. As well as two smaller centers and both have a grocery store (Bi-lo and Harris Teeter). There are others in your price range but I've heard mixed things about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte