Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM

92 posts, read 279,844 times

Advertisements

Well what I mean by people like us! Was non Charlotteans in general sense and Foreigners in a particular one.
And regarding Charlotte losing it history and identity it's something I keep reading about in the forum and I don't understand what it means.

Is Charlotte a big city? Not number of people only, for instance is it bigger than Cleveland? SA? Seattle?
Is NC better for relocation than SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 PM

Another thing are Salaries here lower than FL? TX? GA? In general?

And till that moment no physician answererd my question regarding the Atmosphere of law suits against physicians I'm Charlotte? In other words is it doctor friendly?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 PM

I forgot to ask aboutcar insurance compared to Cleveland

Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I forgot to ask aboutcar insurance compared to Cleveland
Not sure if this helps since it isn't current. In late 2004 in Cleveland on my 2000 Lexus I paid $984/yr (500ded)State Farm and in CLT paid $850/yr for same coverage(Allstate). I actually switched all my insurance policies from State Farm and saved couple thousand dollars. SF did not bode well after 9/11 and were raising rates substantially. I'm convinced that everyone needs to shop their insurance policies every 5 years to make sure your not overpaying. I found Travelers Insurance to be most competitive at the time.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Well what I mean by people like us! Was non Charlotteans in general sense and Foreigners in a particular one.
And regarding Charlotte losing it history and identity it's something I keep reading about in the forum and I don't understand what it means.

Is Charlotte a big city? Not number of people only, for instance is it bigger than Cleveland? SA? Seattle?
Is NC better for relocation than SC?
I don't think that Charlotte is losing its idenity, but it is becoming an international city which is generally a good thing. For example, thirty years ago, it would be hard to find an authentic Mexican or Indian restaurant in town. Now they abound. What the term "losing its identity" means is that Charlotte is losing its identity as a southern town. It was once a town where most sounded the same, shared the same general political views, went to the same churches and schools, always spoke to each other, and shared more of a commonality. That is typical of any place before it starts to grow like Charlotte has. In regards to the size of Charlotte, it is very easy to get around. You can drive any place in Mecklenburg County in twenty minutes from the center if the traffic isn't too bad. Despite complaints that you will hear in any city, the roadway system is pretty good in Charlotte but sometimes confusing with some streets in central city sharing the same name. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Another thing are Salaries here lower than FL? TX? GA? In general?

And till that moment no physician answererd my question regarding the Atmosphere of law suits against physicians I'm Charlotte? In other words is it doctor friendly?

I would check doctors salaries.com or other places on the net for salaries and atmospheric conditions. Generally, salaries in Charlotte are a little higher than the national average as far as jobs are concerned. When you consider the cost of living here, that is a great thing. Charlotte salaries are better than salaries in many cities and towns in the aforementioned states, yet some of the cities in those states have higher salaries, ie. Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Charlotte and Atlanta are pretty similar.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Red face Good to know that salaries in Charlotte are not really lower than most other cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I would check doctors salaries.com or other places on the net for salaries and atmospheric conditions. Generally, salaries in Charlotte are a little higher than the national average as far as jobs are concerned. When you consider the cost of living here, that is a great thing. Charlotte salaries are better than salaries in many cities and towns in the aforementioned states, yet some of the cities in those states have higher salaries, ie. Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Charlotte and Atlanta are pretty similar.

I always hear about Charlotte increasing feeling of insecurity and that crime rates are really up, well , i visited Detroit many times , and I really felt that in there just from the looks, but I spent few days in Charlotte and didn't get that impression!

Where is Charlotte from Crime rates, and what are the areas to avoid not to be subject to those issues?

Another question,,,,
How much do you have to pay for a nice 3500 feet house that was built after 2000 in the southpark area, and would that be a good idea, if you have to go to Monroe daily?

thank you so much
soooma

Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Talking What about the lakes activities? is is true all Charlotte lakes are brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I don't think that Charlotte is losing its idenity, but it is becoming an international city which is generally a good thing. For example, thirty years ago, it would be hard to find an authentic Mexican or Indian restaurant in town. Now they abound. What the term "losing its identity" means is that Charlotte is losing its identity as a southern town. It was once a town where most sounded the same, shared the same general political views, went to the same churches and schools, always spoke to each other, and shared more of a commonality. That is typical of any place before it starts to grow like Charlotte has. In regards to the size of Charlotte, it is very easy to get around. You can drive any place in Mecklenburg County in twenty minutes from the center if the traffic isn't too bad. Despite complaints that you will hear in any city, the roadway system is pretty good in Charlotte but sometimes confusing with some streets in central city sharing the same name. Thanks for the clarification.

What about the lakes activities? is is true all Charlotte lakes are brown?
Because I read in another forum some one was rediculing those lakes,
and they are fresh water right? I mean not salty...?
And what about Jet skiing, can you do this on the lake?
Does charlotte have nice fish restaurants? different varieties?
God I miss our Fish in Alexandria in Egypt, I have huge nostalgia for it,,, more than 100 different types and ways of cooking all types of fish!!

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM

Default I think that accident in Cleveland are way higher becaus of snow and ice ringht? so insurance should be higher too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Not sure if this helps since it isn't current. In late 2004 in Cleveland on my 2000 Lexus I paid $984/yr (500ded)State Farm and in CLT paid $850/yr for same coverage(Allstate). I actually switched all my insurance policies from State Farm and saved couple thousand dollars. SF did not bode well after 9/11 and were raising rates substantially. I'm convinced that everyone needs to shop their insurance policies every 5 years to make sure your not overpaying. I found Travelers Insurance to be most competitive at the time.

I think that accident in Cleveland are way higher becaus of snow and ice ringht? so insurance should be higher too

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Does any body know where in Charlotte you find houses like those currently in Westlake ohio? and is southpark area more expensive than westlake,,,
and is southpark a bad daily commute from Monroe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte