U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:33 AM

92 posts, read 253,258 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I have to admit that without your blogs and threads I wouldn't be taking the very serious step I am going to in a few months from now, I am a physician in Cleveland, and I am going to RELOCATE to Charlotte with my Wife and my 3 y/o Daughter, and I am looking for insight about how life will be like compared to Cleveland?
I visited many cities, NY & Philly & Chicago & Detroit & Pittsburgh & Los Angeles & Seattle & Las Vegas & New Orleans,,, basically I spent a few days in each of those, excpet Seattle and LA where I spent 1/2 a year in each
I didn't wanna go too fancy and relocate to San Diego, LA, FL, TX,,,
though I am having second thought about the latter because I never visited Texas, but I heard that San Antonio is amazingly good, and that if you go there you never think about Charlotte again? Is that right? and I also heard that it is cheaper?
Any way,,, lots and lots of things when it comes to talking about the Queen city,,, I am a family man, from overseas, I love USA indeed and I wanted to congratulate you guys on the beautiful country that you have,,,

And one more question to any physician who is working her? how is liability like here?

Charlotte MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,292,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I am a family man, from overseas, I love USA indeed and I wanted to congratulate you guys on the beautiful country that you have,,,

I just feel soooo compelled to highlight this part of the post. For all the bad rap I keep hearing that we're supposedly getting from overseas, it warms the heart to see someone like you say this. I'll leave the details to someone better suited to answer.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
I am a native here; DH is from St. Louis and spent most of his career in Kansas City. I am surprised you didn't consider Kansas City as it is somewhat comparable to Cleveland . . .only I much prefer KCMO's suburbs to Cleveland's . . . and St. Louis is a good family-oriented city w/ nice burbs, as well (and substantial healthcare). Cost of living is about the same as here.

Cleveland to Charlotte is a good move. I know San Antonio and I suppose it depends where you grew up as to how enamored one would be w/ SA. I love visiting there! Just don't know it would offer what I would want as far as living there year round. SA has a lot of areas that are rough around the edges . . . Dallas, however, is high on my list of places to live, especially Plano and Frisco.

Now, what is too bad about this conversation is . . . the burbs of Kansas City, St. Louis and Plano/Frisco remind me of CLT in many ways as far as quality of life, cost of living, amenities, etc. But you have not been to those areas!

The rest of the cities you mentioned are so much larger than Charlotte - I just can't make much of a comparison. There is no way to compare NYC, CHI, Las Vegas to CLT . . . and Pittsburgh and Philly - maybe the burbs . . . Detroit is dealing w/ so many economic problems - no way would I go there (sorry MI). And New Orleans - well - there is nowhere else in the USA that really compares to NOLA, IMHO.

As far as a medical career, have you actually accepted a position or are you simply considering the move here? When you asked about liability . . . that says to me you have not accepted a position or surely you would have covered all that b/f you signed a contract. I would suggest that you work out employment directly w/ a hospital and have them pay your liability for you as part of the terms of your employment contract.

You didn't mention the Raleigh Durham area, where some of the best healthcare in the region is found . . . so don't rule that out if you are not committed. That region is also a great place to raise a family as well as practice medicine.

Charlotte has wonderful neighborhoods, friendly people, good shopping and offers a lot of outdoor activity - w/ mountains and coast nearby and golf all over the place (if you are interested). Housing is reasonable here . . . but the cheaper costs come in w/ taxes as opposed to the areas you mentioned in your post. Weather here is better than that of most of the cities you mentioned, wh/ means more days to get outside . . . and less time dealing w/ snowstorms/ice.

You really need to spend some time here b/f committing to a long term contract. That being said - I personally feel Charlotte is one of the best places in the country to raise a family, get established in a community and live a good quality of life.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am a native here; DH is from St. Louis and spent most of his career in Kansas City. I am surprised you didn't consider Kansas City as it is somewhat comparable to Cleveland . . .only I much prefer KCMO's suburbs to Cleveland's . . . and St. Louis is a good family-oriented city w/ nice burbs, as well (and substantial healthcare). Cost of living is about the same as here.

Cleveland to Charlotte is a good move. I know San Antonio and I suppose it depends where you grew up as to how enamored one would be w/ SA. I love visiting there! Just don't know it would offer what I would want as far as living there year round. SA has a lot of areas that are rough around the edges . . . Dallas, however, is high on my list of places to live, especially Plano and Frisco.

Now, what is too bad about this conversation is . . . the burbs of Kansas City, St. Louis and Plano/Frisco remind me of CLT in many ways as far as quality of life, cost of living, amenities, etc. But you have not been to those areas!

The rest of the cities you mentioned are so much larger than Charlotte - I just can't make much of a comparison. There is no way to compare NYC, CHI, Las Vegas to CLT . . . and Pittsburgh and Philly - maybe the burbs . . . Detroit is dealing w/ so many economic problems - no way would I go there (sorry MI). And New Orleans - well - there is nowhere else in the USA that really compares to NOLA, IMHO.

As far as a medical career, have you actually accepted a position or are you simply considering the move here? When you asked about liability . . . that says to me you have not accepted a position or surely you would have covered all that b/f you signed a contract. I would suggest that you work out employment directly w/ a hospital and have them pay your liability for you as part of the terms of your employment contract.

You didn't mention the Raleigh Durham area, where some of the best healthcare in the region is found . . . so don't rule that out if you are not committed. That region is also a great place to raise a family as well as practice medicine.

Charlotte has wonderful neighborhoods, friendly people, good shopping and offers a lot of outdoor activity - w/ mountains and coast nearby and golf all over the place (if you are interested). Housing is reasonable here . . . but the cheaper costs come in w/ taxes as opposed to the areas you mentioned in your post. Weather here is better than that of most of the cities you mentioned, wh/ means more days to get outside . . . and less time dealing w/ snowstorms/ice.

You really need to spend some time here b/f committing to a long term contract. That being said - I personally feel Charlotte is one of the best places in the country to raise a family, get established in a community and live a good quality of life.

Dern Ani, you didn't leave me anything to say Good job!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:36 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dern Ani, you didn't leave me anything to say Good job!
Okay, that's just not right!!!! I expected you to come back w/ more info on comparing NOLA w/ CLT, and to point out some terrific CLT neighborhoods that would allow a decent commute to the hospitals!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay, that's just not right!!!! I expected you to come back w/ more info on comparing NOLA w/ CLT, and to point out some terrific CLT neighborhoods that would allow a decent commute to the hospitals!!!!
hahaha - well, you know I'll always have a fondness in my heart for New Orleans. It is a GREAT town to visit. In fact, it has never been cleaner and nicer than since they have gone thru the recovery from Katrina and I encourage everybody to consider a visit there - you will eat the best food in this entire country. I cannot, however, recommend it for a family as a great place to live because the schools are just so bad - across the board, bad.

As we all know, Charlotte is a great family-oriented town. Sure, we have our problems and some growing concerns, but all ciites this size do. All in all, with the pleasant change of seasons, the friendliness of the people, access to mountains and beaches - it's just a great place to live

Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM

19,831 posts, read 56,079,330 times
Loves is right, the only decent schools in NOLA are the private ones and the public magnet ones. But in Metairie, where I would prefer to live, the magnet system currently stops after junior high. I raised my kids there and if you want to see your 13 y/o come home drunk, move down! The bars that cater to the college crowd never used to card anyone. I had my kids in private school from K-12 and it cost an arm and a leg. Now, I think it's around $15-18000 per child per year. CLT is where my son, currently in Metairie, wants to move to improve their lives.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 AM

51 posts, read 153,236 times
From a former Clevelander's perspective: I moved from Chagrin Falls in May 2007. I currently live in South Charlotte. Downtown Charlotte is very different from downtown Cleveland. Cleveland is much more spread out compared to Charlotte. But Charlotte is much easier to navigate ( at least in the immediate uptown area). I do not know much about N,W or E Charlotte but South Charlotte reminds me of the Hudson/Shaker Heights cities where it's just beautiful homes and is really taken care of. I do not own a home but from a renter's standpoint the cost of living is cheaper down here. Gas is still a little bit more expensive but with it having gone down so much $.05 isn't too big of a deal. People seem happier in Charlotte. Everyone is friendly and so many people have moved from somewhere else so everyone is just happy to be here. And there is no comparison to the weather either. We are forecasted to see 70 degrees here tomorrow... probably sleeting ice up there. So enough of me rambling. I hope that helped even a little. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck!!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM

407 posts, read 728,866 times
Which hospital? Huntersville is an easy commute for some in the Charlotte area plus the Lake Norman Medical Center. Originally from the NE Ohio western Pa area. The notorious rust belt. Much nicer and newer here. But you will have to miss out on the cold and the "lake effect" snowfalls.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM

92 posts, read 253,258 times
Default Thank you everybody for your kind detailed replies but I still need more details from those who know the answers :)

LET ME JUST repeat it again for the person who highlighted my "LOVE FOR AMERICA",
guys you just have a beautiful country " that I adore from the bottom of my heart and despite not American yet , my kids are though , I already feel American to the bone, not because I am disloyal to my Country which I adore as well "I am Coptic Christian Egyptian by the way if it helps ", but I can't help but feel like part of this huge Country, you are very hospitable people in general sense, "Disregard rednecks", and You know what "I achieved my American dream by coming here", and I never regretted coming here for a single second, and my wife wasn't interested in coming but now she loves it and I feel honored to be one of you guys, simply because this is THE WHOLE IDEA of America's human infrastructure "Unlike England for instance, hard to feel really one of them",, you WELCOME skilled and professional overseas people who were diappointed at their home countries "Once upon a time greatest nations on earth" current status quo "a long story" , not here just for financial reasons though, because my dad is a physician there in Egypt and we are well to do there,,,, but many other things,,, on top of which something I never tasted in my life till I set foot in this BLESSED land called FREEDOM with all what this word may ever mean,, the bad and the good.

So again before I forget the my purpose of this post ,,, I congratulate you again on this blessed beautiful country...

Well,
1. I signed a contract in CLT long time ago, about 3 months ago, in south Charlotte hospital.
2. I will be covered liability, but asking about litigative attitudes,,, because Cleveland and Pittsburgh are known to be really bad places for physician to practice medicine at.
3. I have no one that I really know in CLT but hoping to know some nice people there.
4. Very important reason for Relocation is WEATHER, I am freezing to death in Clevealnd... Though I love the people here they are really nice and classy people and friendly,, but can't enjoy life with that bad winter! sorry Cleveland I have to say that ,,, though I know that it can be worse in MN and MI,,, but all in all not for me
5. Comparing San Antonio came from some friends of mine who are starting their career their, and they are describing it as heaven on earth, the best weather in America, and rivers under the malls !! and sounded to me a whole lot better, and I felt a little what if I signed a contract there instead? Especially knowing that cost of living is way lower and the city is really nicer.
6. I spent 3 days in CLT,,, One of the cleanest cities I ever visited and really the roads are manicured ,,, but my question here,,, for those who really travelled around,,, and to PHYSICIANS practicing in CLT,,, and UP ABOVE all to those who left Cleveland and Detroit for CLT,,, what is the move like?
7. Did you ever regret coming here?
8. I wasn't very happy to know that you got 4" of snow recently,,, but my worries are do you have a lot of ice since I noticed that you tend to be around 25-35 degrees most of the winter?
9. Are there a lot of nice places like Southpark? which I liked, what a fancy place, and a fancy MALL
10. I really was shocked with the EAST Mall that was really in a bad shape, we were scared to death!
11. I was never told about the DROUGHT issue by any of my interviewers, is it that serious? I understand getting a little better this year with above average rainfall? Am I really not gonna find places to wash my car?
12. I read about CLT probably more than the size of the BIBLE but I still need some real living experience.
13. To be honest I wasn't impressed much with the Uptown but I might be biased then, because I just had a week in Chicago in the summer before visiting CLT, and that was unfair to the queen city.
14. Future wise what are the expectations for CLT, and when is it expected to make it to 1.000.000 people there, and is the city really losing its identity? beause of people like us? and can this be good in any way?
15. I can't think of something else right now?,,, just kidding,,,,

I really would appreciate everysingle word you might have to say about Charlotte, especially for foreigners like myself and also for a Hospitalist Physician...

soooma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or