U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM

35,622 posts, read 44,000,271 times

Advertisements

Well, decided I did want to say more. Now, y'all know I am a Southern girl and so was raised in a time when the only pizza around here was Village Inn, Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc. But you also know I have relatives in the NE who enjoyed feeding us the local specialities . . . and that by the time I was in my late 20s, I was traveling to other major cities for business as well as pleasure. So I have sought out pizza all over . . . including Chicago style pizza and California pizza (don't cringe).

Now here is what I consider the perfect pie and you all tell me if this is the type of pie you like or if there is something I have missed and need to learn more about.

Let's start w/ crust. I do not like a crispy hard crust. But I don't want a doughy thick gooey crust either. I was something pliable, not paper thin but not really thick, either. It has to be "bendable."

As for sauce . . . it has to have a rich, vibrant, robust flavor. If it is bland, I feel cheated. I expect a hint of garlic and oregano.

I want a generous amount of cheese. I want it gooey - like bubble gum, almost. You pull a piece of the pie and the cheese stretches, LOL.

So how do my expectations match up to what you all would call "a good pie?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,422,429 times
Never heard of Lorenzo's pizza before but thanks for the heads-up I guess. I'll just gladly continue to order Domino's, Papa Johns, etc, or go buy a frozen pizza at Harris Teeter.

Besides, NJ/NY style pizza pales in comparsion to Chicago pizza anyway, in my opinion at least.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 12-13-2008 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 04:17 PM

454 posts, read 866,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, decided I did want to say more. Now, y'all know I am a Southern girl and so was raised in a time when the only pizza around here was Village Inn, Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc. But you also know I have relatives in the NE who enjoyed feeding us the local specialities . . . and that by the time I was in my late 20s, I was traveling to other major cities for business as well as pleasure. So I have sought out pizza all over . . . including Chicago style pizza and California pizza (don't cringe).

Now here is what I consider the perfect pie and you all tell me if this is the type of pie you like or if there is something I have missed and need to learn more about.

Let's start w/ crust. I do not like a crispy hard crust. But I don't want a doughy thick gooey crust either. I was something pliable, not paper thin but not really thick, either. It has to be "bendable."

As for sauce . . . it has to have a rich, vibrant, robust flavor. If it is bland, I feel cheated. I expect a hint of garlic and oregano.

I want a generous amount of cheese. I want it gooey - like bubble gum, almost. You pull a piece of the pie and the cheese stretches, LOL.

So how do my expectations match up to what you all would call "a good pie?"
Ani, I think you're right on...don't tell, but I like the California Pizza Kitchen too, especially the Bar-B-Que Chicken..yummmm

Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM

35,622 posts, read 44,000,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Ani, I think you're right on...don't tell, but I like the California Pizza Kitchen too, especially the Bar-B-Que Chicken..yummmm
Well, alright!!! I like pizza fixed many different ways and sometimes, with non-traditional toppings . . . As long as it has a good crust and a savory sauce, the rest of it is always gonna taste great (to me). But that sauce has to be good to pull it all together.

My favorite pizza in this area was Mellow Mushroom, but I thought it was overpriced, so I refused to eat there often.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,967,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Never heard of Lorenzo's pizza before but thanks for the heads-up I guess. I'll just gladly continue to order Domino's, Papa Johns, etc, or go buy a frozen pizza at Harris Teeter.

Besides, NJ/NY style pizza pales in comparsion to Chicago pizza anyway, in my opinion at least.
WOO-HOO!! someone who knows what a real pizza is like!!! OK, j/k my Jersey/NY friends. But, obviously, I am partial to the pizza from the Windy City. Not a fan of the thin, crispy crust that NY pizza is mostly like.

Tony's does a pretty good Sicilian style pizza, which is usually what Chicago pizza is all about. Of course, the best (in NC anyway) is Pizzeria Unos which has only one location now, downtown Charlotte.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,494,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
First off, let me apologize for re-hashing this subject, but since there are already 14+ pages written on the subject of the new Lorenzo's Pizzeria on Ardrey Kell, I felt the need to set the record straight...(from a former "Jersey Girl" that is).

Now, I know I'm going to make some enemies here, but I've dated enough Guidos (and most of my good girlfriends are true-to-form, high-hair-wearing, Jersey-by-way-of-Italy girls), to know what good pizza should taste like. (Disclaimer: I realize that women from Italy don't look anything like the psuedo-Italians from NJ.)
Oh, and I've dined at many "fine" pizza establishments "down-the-shore", right on the boardwalk, by Jenkinson's. And we all know, that that's where you can find some of the best pizza in the USA! (With the exception of Ray's in Manhattan.)

So, here it is: Lorenzo's pizza just ain't it! The sauce (YES, it's SAUCE) is just too sweet. Did I hear someone say: "Where's the Oregano?"
And the prices! Sheesh! 14+ bucks for a pie! Whaddaya kiddin' me? $13 bucks for an order of Calamari? NOT!

I wasn't thrilled with their seating system either. But I'm not going to get into that, since it really has nothing to do with their food.
I can't comment on any of the other menu items, since I haven't tried them, but I'm not sure I will go back. I think we're going to stick with Hawthorne's Pizza (although it's a hike, it's still well worth it) and Palone's or Tony's.

To the Lorenzo owners: I wish you lotsa luck, you seem very nice, but please find the Oregano and put some in your sauce.
Thank you.
+1 Totally agree, if this is supposedly good pizza as it gets a ton of raves on this board here, then I'll pass. Way too many better tastier options out there than greasey sauce on cooked dough anyway.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 PM

5,954 posts, read 6,925,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Oh, and I've dined at many "fine" pizza establishments "down-the-shore", right on the boardwalk, by Jenkinson's.
Wow! You just brought back memories (sorry to go off topic a little).

I used to prepare food as a teen at Jenkinsons (before the fire). I also ran rides at the other end of the boardwalk at Herman's (now part of Jenkinson's too). Oh yeah, I was cool once!

My two favorite pizza places of all time were: Cici's on the boardwalk across from Martell's (owned by a Pt. Pleasant Bch cop) & Vesuvio's on Beaver Dam Road in Pt Pleasant Boro.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 AM

4,282 posts, read 7,174,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I love this thread, LOL!!!!

Just had to say something. Y'all carry on.
+1, I do not have a dog in this fight, but I love these threads!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 AM

161 posts, read 243,186 times
In my opinion, the "sauce" at Tony's is much tastier than Lorenzo's and given how quickly you can get in and out (separate lines for ordering and pick-up), I'll continue to purchase from Tony's. I tried Lorenzo's given the hype but was just not that impressed with the pizza so much as to warrant the hassle of dealing with crowds. I'll try them again later but on less busy night....

Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM

841 posts, read 821,855 times
For what it's worth, as a born-and-raised Southerner, I found Lorenzo's good, albeit a tad pricey. My wife, on the other hand, a lifelong Long Island Italian girl, wasn't overly impressed, given what I had her expecting after reading on the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte