U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-14-2008, 08:35 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,540,810 times
Do northerners eat anything besides bagels or pizzas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-14-2008, 09:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,030,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
What else is there????

Unread 12-14-2008, 09:40 AM

34,049 posts, read 38,173,587 times
Quote:
HEE HEE!!!

The way I see it is . . .as a Southerner, pork BBQ is this huge deal to me . . . there are so many different ways to prepare it . . . plus the difference in sauces . . .

I have an ideal of what I believe is the "perfect" BBQ . . . has to be wood smoked . . . pork butt . . . pulled, not sliced . . . and the sauce can have several variations, but my favorite is vinegar based, lots of whole peppers . . .

So my thought is, just as I am really really definite about what "perfect BBQ" tastes like . . . I assume others have regional favorites, and evidently, Pizza is the biggie if you are from many areas of the country.

Same w/ bagels.

I so enjoy finding out what others feel is the BEST pizza pie. Pizza is Italian, but the thing is . . . Pizza in the USA has evolved to be exactly that - American.

Unread 12-14-2008, 10:16 AM

7,137 posts, read 11,058,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
What else is there????
haha I was going to say the same thing...lol

Unread 12-14-2008, 10:28 AM

4,282 posts, read 6,488,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
HEE HEE!!!

The way I see it is . . .as a Southerner, pork BBQ is this huge deal to me . . . there are so many different ways to prepare it . . . plus the difference in sauces . . .
I agree.
BBQ is our totally critiqued Southern food ala yankee's (transplants) pizza and bagels.

Like you, I love all foods.
I have my few old school BBQ places I really like (most around Salisbury), and pizza places based on style depending on what mood I am in.

Having spent alot of time in NYC I never really cared for the Ray's style pizza where the crust is all gooey and cannot hold anywhere near the weight of the sauce and cheese, but I understand many love this. Not that I do not eat it and enjoy it, but it is not my fav style of pizza.

Quote:
I so enjoy finding out what others feel is the BEST pizza pie. Pizza is Italian, but the thing is . . . Pizza in the USA has evolved to be exactly that - American.
+100, I completely agree.
Having had pizza in Rome & Naples (Napoli) I can attest it is nothing like 'NY Style' pizza which is Americanized.
Not that it is bad or good, just different.

I think one of the best pies I ever had was at a place called Evi's W A N K (verboten word) Alm halfway up a ski slope in Oberammagau Germany.
I have been there a few times and it is amazing.

But I love trying them all.

Today feels like a Nona's Pie from Brooklyn Pizza Parlor on Colony.
Back in a bit!

Last edited by mullman; 12-14-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Unread 12-14-2008, 11:04 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,540,810 times
Quote:
HEE HEE!!!

I have an ideal of what I believe is the "perfect" BBQ . . . has to be wood smoked . . . pork butt . . . pulled, not sliced . . . and the sauce can have several variations, but my favorite is vinegar based, lots of whole peppers . . .

So my thought is, just as I am really really definite about what "perfect BBQ" tastes like . . . I assume others have regional favorites, and evidently, Pizza is the biggie if you are from many areas of the country.

Same w/ bagels.

I can relate, but I bet you also like some good ole catfish, and southern fried chicken? I hear so many say that there are not good Italian restaurants, bagle or pizza places yet there are thousands of American Italians from NYC living amongst us. Can't any of them cook? How can they have so many bad Italian restaurants? People are funny

Unread 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,030,132 times
Quote:
I can relate, but I bet you also like some good ole catfish, and southern fried chicken? I hear so many say that there are not good Italian restaurants, bagle or pizza places yet there are thousands of American Italians from NYC living amongst us. Can't any of them cook? How can they have so many bad Italian restaurants? People are funny
I understand what you are saying about all the NY'ers opening up Italian restaurants and why are they not as good. I have asked this question many times and have been told it's the water(??). Whatever. I think it might be the people who couldn't make a good pizza up north and decided they would try to make it down here. Who knows. I did not like every pizza or bagel shop by me in NJ either. I had my favorites and some that I would never visit again.

Unread 12-14-2008, 11:53 AM

7,042 posts, read 7,941,938 times
Quote:
Y'know, Bandi, never heard of eating catfish before moving here and, to be honest, I am dubious of eating something that is essentially the garbage can of the water.

My idea of Southern Fried Chicken came from KFC and we would eat it, maybe once a year. Not so much on the fried stuff up there.

Now, there are hot dogs and Italian beef and White Castle....yummm...to name a few DIFFERENT vices...

I think that the problem here about the restaurants being "bad" is that people miss the tastes that they had from home. To them, it is comfort food. So, they go to these new "NY Style Pizza" places, maybe with unrealistic expectations...that is will taste just like the favourite pizza place from home...(which, by the way, is different for everyone)...and when it does not meet that expectation...well, it is a huge disappointment. I think that this is the issue more than whether or not the pizza is actually good/bad. It just does not meet some people's expectations.

Unread 12-14-2008, 11:54 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,172,711 times
Quote:

Taylor ham.

Unread 12-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,172,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I think that the problem here about the restaurants being "bad" is that people miss the tastes that they had from home. To them, it is comfort food. So, they go to these new "NY Style Pizza" places, maybe with unrealistic expectations...that is will taste just like the favourite pizza place from home...(which, by the way, is different for everyone)...and when it does not meet that expectation...well, it is a huge disappointment. I think that this is the issue more than whether or not the pizza is actually good/bad. It just does not meet some people's expectations.

Fully agree. I've never had a bad slice of pizza, or a slice that I would never eat again. I don't mind Dominoes or Papa Johns, even though I'd rather something from either Giacomo's in University or Ray's in Manhattan. I will say that these pizza wars bring out the fierce in people.

Gimme some extra cheese, pepperoni and/or mushrooms and a couple of beers and I'm set. Don't matter who's making it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte