Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 PM

116 posts, read 550,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
How does that milage number actually work in real dollars? Can you give me a quick example. Thanks
Tax asessed value X 4% = taxable value
taxable value X millage rate = annual tax due on property

400000 x 4% = $16000
16000 X 300 mil or (0.300) = $4800

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychltsales View Post
Hi. I am a native Charlottean and also a former school teacher/nanny who now sells real estate with my mom for a dynamic new company. I can give you some great ideas about houses and schools. The number one elementary school in North Carolina is Providence Springs elem which is located in south charlotte of off Providence road. There are other top notch schools in south charlotte and matthews. If you would consider going into union county, wesley chapel and weddington schools are EXCELLENT. I have several friends and family who live in weddington/wesley chapel and simply love it. as a former school teacher i must be honest and say that i have been most impressed with unioncounty and the fort mill school district. if you have any questions please don;'t hesitate to ask! i am actually showing property this weekend in union county in your price range so i may have some great ideas for you.

if youare interested check out our website at savvyand company.com I am julie w.

i hope this helps and I know your family will love Charlotte!
Julie, it's great that you have found this site and obviously have a lot of good info and insight to share. However, you may want to be careful giving out particulars about the schools like this - it is a big no no for realtors by law to discuss such details. And while Providence Springs is a great school, others in Char/Meck have the same or very similar scores it does.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,226 times
Great info so far... We are looking north of Charlotte. Thoughts? Please take a look at my below email for more info.

My family and I may be moving to the Charlotte area in the next few months. I have been looking at the Lake Norman area. Can anyone give me positives and/or negatives about the area? I have done all the statistical research regarding school test scores, housing prices, and crime - but I would love to hear from a local. My kids are elementary and high school age. One with some special needs.
In addition - we are likely visiting the area during our kids spring break. Any ideas on what we should see / do that will help get them excited about moving away from their friends?
THANKS!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 PM

137 posts, read 503,114 times
I'm in the same boat as the original poster.....zip codes would help me out greatly as I am scheduled to come into town at the end of the month.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,447 times
What about upscale townhome or loft living, more uban, close to shopping and dining experiences, possibly on foot?
Empty-nesters

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM

238 posts, read 567,854 times
I vote for weddington, it's wonderful, the houses are gorgeous and the schools are great

Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,500 times
Seems to me while this thread is a little dated, it was complete with a great deal of information. I am also replying because some of the folks who were considering may now be established in Charlotte and Candice feedback on my questions about good moves or regrets from their move.

That said here is my question. Young family with one child (hoping for more!) we are currentlyin a bit of a depressed area and looking to relocate to an area that is a little more family friendly with things to do and ot have to drive 45 minutes to actually get to some sort of family friendly entertainment. Their test keys for us are: cost of living being affordable, good to great school systems, family friendly, not so much traffic that you cannot go five miles without having to take up your whole day to do it (we lived in DC..enough said). We would love an area that allows us the chance to do things as a family and having lots of kids around is a plus. Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,793 times
Default I'll Agree

I agree - I would love to hear from those that posted earlier and see where they ended up and if they are happy with their decision.

My husband and I may be moving to the area and I found this thread to be very helpful to me. We are empty nesters so the school system itself is not an issue for me but I have found that those areas that have good ones are the better ones to live in as well.

I had been leaning toward the Fort Mill area but also looking in Matthews and this thread helped me lean even more toward the SC side. Since we are planning on retiring in another 15 or so years (and no that is not a long time for you young ones reading) our price range is in the high $100,000s or not much more than $200,000 because we have a second home (our retirement home) at the beach!!!

So if there is anyone that give me some advice on this price range I would love it.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNestersMoving View Post
I agree - I would love to hear from those that posted earlier and see where they ended up and if they are happy with their decision.

My husband and I may be moving to the area and I found this thread to be very helpful to me. We are empty nesters so the school system itself is not an issue for me but I have found that those areas that have good ones are the better ones to live in as well.

I had been leaning toward the Fort Mill area but also looking in Matthews and this thread helped me lean even more toward the SC side. Since we are planning on retiring in another 15 or so years (and no that is not a long time for you young ones reading) our price range is in the high $100,000s or not much more than $200,000 because we have a second home (our retirement home) at the beach!!!

So if there is anyone that give me some advice on this price range I would love it.
While it doesn't hurt to check the whole area, your final choice should be based on where you will be working, unless you work from home.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,793 times
Default Work Area

The Providence Road area in Charlotte will be the area in which he is working. As for myself I will be finding work after we get settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte