U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-01-2007, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 236,887 times
Default best places to live around Charlotte

There is a good chance that my wife, 2 kids and myself will be relocating to the Charlotte area. I have been there 2 times in the past 6 months and have looked at housing in the Fort Mill area. We like this area but I would like to get various opinions on other areas around Charlotte. Schools and housing are the 2 most important variables. I have a 2nd and 4th grader. Fort Mill schools are rated very high and I have read some nice things about Weddington schools. Is there a good web site in which I can research various areas and schools?

Our price range is $300,000-$350,000. We like "newer" homes. What areas in and around Charlotte would you reccommend? Thanks for any help or advice you have to offer.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,272,488 times
There are several websites that might be helpful. For schools: http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us; (broken link) http://www.cms.k12.nc.us; (broken link) http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us and for comparison http://www.uschamber.com/icw.reportcard/default

For neighborhood info, http://www.charmeck.org, go to "Neighborhoods", select "2006 Quality of Life Study". This report denotes crime stats, economic quality, educational level. etc.

For homes and neighborhoods in your price range you can visit my website at http://www.pennygreene.com. Go to "Property Search", then enter your criteria. This will show all available listings in the area.

Let me know if you have questions or need more details. Good luck.

Unread 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM

396 posts, read 1,108,299 times
I would also add www.greatschools.net to that list. Keep in mind that if you are planning to "plant" for a while, kids graduating from a NC high school will be offered in-state tuition to all NC State Universities....that's what made our decision for us. We're in Weddington. Good luck....it's great here!!

Unread 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks BP and indraman for the info. Indraman what do you think of Weddington? How would you compare it to Fort Mill as far as real estate, schools, and livability? If we do this it will be for the long haul. What other areas did you look at and consider? Does anyone know about the difference in the taxes (state, city, and property) between an area like Fort Mill, SC and Matthews or Weddington, NC? Thanks for any info.

Unread 03-03-2007, 06:44 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,272,488 times
Taxes are much lower in Fort Mill. There is a thread on that subject "50% reduction in SC Taxes" (not sure about the exact title). The milage rate for Matthews (Mecklenburg County) is 0.3075 City + 0.8189 County for a total of 1.1264.

Weddington is 0.300 city + 0.6367 county total 0.6667

Fort Mill is currently 0.0900 City + 0.2711 County for a total of 0.3611 but that includes the school tax which is currently in the process of being taken out. So, after school tax is removed it should reduce it by [i]almost [i]don't quote me but 50%.

If you have trouble finding that thread send me a pm and I'll go back and find it for you.

Unread 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

55 posts, read 201,981 times
this is such a great thread
these are the exact locations I am thinking of - I have 2 kids 11 and 9 - considering union county - fort mill/lake wylie area...sc taxes are so low! might make it worth going there - i have a friend who moved to fort mill - she raves about the schools there...

thanks!

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

396 posts, read 1,108,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post
Thanks BP and indraman for the info. Indraman what do you think of Weddington? How would you compare it to Fort Mill as far as real estate, schools, and livability? If we do this it will be for the long haul. What other areas did you look at and consider? Does anyone know about the difference in the taxes (state, city, and property) between an area like Fort Mill, SC and Matthews or Weddington, NC? Thanks for any info.

We are loving Weddington/Wesley Chapel (they kind of blend together). Our price range was just about what yours is and the house we ended up in is just 4 years old. My kids started school at Weddington today and we were pleasantly surprised.
Honestly, we looked at Matthews and Waxhaw as well, but I really wanted my kids to go to the established schools in Weddington. I'm sure the new schools will be great too.....I was just going for the sure thing. I wanted my older one at Weddington Middle because (close your eyes if your anti-uniform) I like the uniform policy. The schools in Ft. Mill and Clover are awesome too. The only reason we didn't end up there was because we were pretty sure our son would end up at a NC university and in-state tuition is much better than out. However, if you can stick the tax savings into the bank every year to save for school.....SC is a great choice. Make sure you choose a great realtor and have your wife spend lots of time with them. They will be your best source of the ins and outs that make up the greater Charlotte area. Good luck.

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 110,161 times
Hey.. Charlotte is a wonderful city! I love it. It's cleaner than most cities the same size. The growth here is exponential and opportunity is endless. Now you know that Fort Mill is in SC right? I am not too familiar with that area. Part of ADT's home security review is a comprehensive crime analysis and home security check. This may help you feel more at ease in your new home. I'd be happy to assist you. Best of luck in your move.

Eric Studyvin

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-15-2011 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Unread 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Taxes are much lower in Fort Mill. There is a thread on that subject "50% reduction in SC Taxes" (not sure about the exact title). The milage rate for Matthews (Mecklenburg County) is 0.3075 City + 0.8189 County for a total of 1.1264.

Weddington is 0.300 city + 0.6367 county total 0.6667

Fort Mill is currently 0.0900 City + 0.2711 County for a total of 0.3611 but that includes the school tax which is currently in the process of being taken out. So, after school tax is removed it should reduce it by [i]almost [i]don't quote me but 50%.

If you have trouble finding that thread send me a pm and I'll go back and find it for you.

How does that milage number actually work in real dollars? Can you give me a quick example. Thanks

Unread 03-07-2007, 08:27 AM

111 posts, read 369,398 times
Default best places to live

Hi. I am a native Charlottean and also a former school teacher/nanny who now sells real estate with my mom for a dynamic new company. I can give you some great ideas about houses and schools. The number one elementary school in North Carolina is Providence Springs elem which is located in south charlotte of off Providence road. There are other top notch schools in south charlotte and matthews. If you would consider going into union county, wesley chapel and weddington schools are EXCELLENT. I have several friends and family who live in weddington/wesley chapel and simply love it. as a former school teacher i must be honest and say that i have been most impressed with unioncounty and the fort mill school district. if you have any questions please don;'t hesitate to ask! i am actually showing property this weekend in union county in your price range so i may have some great ideas for you.

if youare interested check out our website at savvyand company.com I am julie w.

i hope this helps and I know your family will love Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte