U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:49 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Morning..I as well am considering a transfer to the area, my company is located in the Charlotte but I am intersted in looking outside...possibly Lake Norman area...any info as far as a good system and low crime area would be great..as well as communting. I am a single mom and I am very very worried about the school systems as well as commute time in the event I need to run back to the school for any reason....
Thanks
Where in Charlotte is your company located? And how much rent or mortgage can you afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 03:44 PM

116 posts, read 383,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Parts of it, yes. Do not rent on Farm Pond Lane or anywhere along Albemarle Road. Also, avoid Eastway and the Plaza.

My how things have changed. When I was in college, I spent many, many days and nights hanging out in restaurants and other stores on Eastway and Albemarle Road. And Eastland Mall was THE place to be. We used to go to the movies there, to ice skate, and to pass time with a chocolate sundae in Farrell's. What has happened to that place? Where are the college kids going now?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
My how things have changed. When I was in college, I spent many, many days and nights hanging out in restaurants and other stores on Eastway and Albemarle Road. And Eastland Mall was THE place to be. We used to go to the movies there, to ice skate, and to pass time with a chocolate sundae in Farrell's. What has happened to that place? Where are the college kids going now?
I so hear ya NC! Makes me incredibly sad. I used to take my 5 year old to ice skate on rainy days at Eastland Mall. We actually WALKED there and the neighborhood was wonderful. College kids now tend to hang uptown or in Southend. What happened is very simple, the first wave of original homeowners began dying off or selling off and too many homes became rental properties. That in turn attracted HUD's attention and more vouchers began to be used there than any other place in town. Unfortunately, when you cluster poor groups together all by themselves nothing good comes from it. Again, I used to LOVE east Charlotte - it was really a great middle class area. I sure hope one day it will be again.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:38 AM

473 posts, read 1,452,073 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Morning..I as well am considering a transfer to the area, my company is located in the Charlotte but I am intersted in looking outside...possibly Lake Norman area...any info as far as a good system and low crime area would be great..as well as communting. I am a single mom and I am very very worried about the school systems as well as commute time in the event I need to run back to the school for any reason....
Thanks
The commute isn't too bad from exit 23, Rosedale is close to the interstate. Crime is low here, too. Schools are OK.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:43 AM

348 posts, read 318,062 times
THink about it this way on a map: Charlotte is essentially a circle with uptown at the center--and if you draw two straight vertical lines from north through south about an inch apart on a map--you should try to stay within that area. That means, you should largely keep away from east and west for the most part, and concentrate on north and south areas. Of course, you will also find these areas to be more expensive.

But, then again, I'm originally from NYC--so what crime is to one person, may not be so bad for another.

:-)

Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 AM

23,581 posts, read 33,317,596 times
this is all really good advice. are there any good AG or pentacostal churches in Charlotte proper itself?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM

261 posts, read 589,710 times
Quote:
Parts of it, yes. Do not rent on Farm Pond Lane or anywhere along Albemarle Road. Also, avoid Eastway and the Plaza.
Are you referring just to Albemarle Road and anything in that general area?

Also my wife and I are going back home to the New Orleans area this weekend and she will eat a few crawfish for you. lol

Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Are you referring just to Albemarle Road and anything in that general area?

Also my wife and I are going back home to the New Orleans area this weekend and she will eat a few crawfish for you. lol
Man, CRAWFISH!!!, you're killing me!! Please do eat about 2 lbs for me!!

To answer your question, do not rent anything anywhere on Albemarle Road from Independence Blvd. to the other side of Lawyers Road. That also includes any of the side streets along that length of Albemarle Road.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:52 PM

124 posts, read 124,976 times
When I am talking to newbies I make it simple by saying avoid the eastside and westside. The previous posters have given good advice!

As far as uptown, a crime update: the crime rate in uptown is actually one of the lowest in the city (again confirmed today at a police press conference). To ensure it stays that way the PD announced a proactive effort to target uptown with even more bike cops and a program to prevent car break-ins.

To mimmi, Lake Norman sounds like a good place based on the needs you presented in your post. However, N Meck High is one of the most overcrowded in the entire state according to stats released at the end of the last school year. They have their share of problems as a result. Just a heads up. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

261 posts, read 589,710 times
Quote:
Man, CRAWFISH!!!, you're killing me!! Please do eat about 2 lbs for me!!

To answer your question, do not rent anything anywhere on Albemarle Road from Independence Blvd. to the other side of Lawyers Road. That also includes any of the side streets along that length of Albemarle Road.
The crawfish at Pearl River is 10 pounds boiled for $20. My wife may get some tomorrow. I am allergic to shellfish, so may have to move out.

How is this area? 8545 Filbert Lane, Charlotte,NC 28215.

It is on the East side of Albemarle close to I-485. The construction company we both work for says to get a place to rent by May 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or