Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Entry level job search in charlotte. What would you recommend ? Internship, marketing manager jobs, it career ?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 26,060 times

Advertisements

So I am graduating from UNCC in a week with a BSBA in Marketing and I have YET to find a job. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am 22 and have I have over 7 years of total work experience - ranging from food service, to customer service, to retail sales. I have experience in leadership roles and employee training as well.

Essentially I would like to work for a marketing firm or B2B sales firm, but I am just coming up short. I am currently trying to utilize UNCC's career finder and careerbuilder.com (doing fraud alert checks on all the businesses I apply to etc. to make sure I am not wasting my time).

Any help would definitely be appreciated though.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,051,766 times
Does UNCC help you get internships? My sister just landed an internship with Disney in their marketing department.

Eventhough they don't pay much, internships are a great way to get experience in your field and start networking.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,264,411 times
Don't mean to be discouraging, but quite a few marketing and advertising firms are laying off. Sadly, you are facing a very similar situation to what I faced when I graduated in 1974 - and we were in the midst of a recession. I was frantic to find a job in my field, and couldn't. I had worked part time in customer service and marketing for a furniture manufacturer, and ended up after a long search reluctantly taking a full time customer service job w/ the same company.

This is a very very tough market. Keep following the leads, but meanwhile, set your sights lower in order to just get a job and start making some money. Any place you had a part time job with - go back and see if they will hire you again. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but for now - you just need to be bringing some $$ in while you continue to look for a job.

As far as a way to structure your job search, go in person to any companies you think are a good fit - even if they do not have openings. Sometimes, just showing up in person to speak w/ someone in HR will get you further than emailing or mailing an application and resume.

Check w/ the hospitals - and be willing to take a low paying job as a patient representative, even if it is second shift. The bennies are good and this will at least get you in the door . . . hospitals are one of the more stable employers during this market. Then once you know your way around in the organization, you can see what other positions that pay more might come open - and be in line to land one.

This economy will turn around. Don't get discouraged, but don't waste time w/o a job while looking for one that is "in your field." Even if you have a job that is not the ideal match, you will be creating a job history and making money . . . while you continue to knock on doors to find a job that will lead to a career.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,060 times
I already have a job with T-Mobile Limited in Charlotte - 8/hr plus commission (comm is around 1500 a month).

I am going to walk my resume into other cellular providers (T-Mobile corporate, Verizon, and ATT). This is after the hiring freezes end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte